Author Topic: Second Wing???  (Read 3978 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Second Wing???
« on: July 07, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »
I am finally getting started on my Wing journey. Has taken a while, but I'm slowly getting everything going.

So far I’ve been out on the water, on my inflatable paddle board with my Wing a couple of times. First time didn’t go well at all. Had a great deal of difficulty controlling the Wing and could only go downwind.

Today was better in that I did manage to go upwind a bit, but would still say I had difficulty controlling the Wing.

I have the Naish S 25, 5.3 meter Wing. And as some of you may remember, I’m brand new to all this. I have no experience in any kind of wind sport. Have never foiled or surfed either so I know I have a huge learning curve.

All this said, I’m wondering if it would be better for me to purchase a second, smaller Wing to learn on? Naish has a 4.6 but I’m thinking that would probably be pretty close in size to what I have now, so I was wondering about the 3.6? I know a 3.6 won’t be enough to fly me on my foil board when I get to that stage, but I’m wondering if it’s what I need to learn how to control the Wing?

If this is just something I need to keep at then I’ll do that. And while I don’t necessarily want to have to buy another Wing just for the sake of learning, if it’s what I have to do then I’ll take the plunge.

And for reference, I’m 67 years old, 5’ 8” tall and weigh just over 150 pounds.

As always, any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Second Wing???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 05:08:54 PM »
Nope. If it was easy, it would be boring. Suck it up!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 06:01:21 PM »
Hi Quick,

What has the wind strength been like when you have been going?  Stoked that you are under way!

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 06:56:26 PM »
Nope. If it was easy, it would be boring. Suck it up!

Too funny. One of the best answers I've ever received. Short and to the point. Thanks Dwight.  :)
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 07:02:03 PM »
Hi Quick,

What has the wind strength been like when you have been going?  Stoked that you are under way!

Hi Admin. The wind is certainly nothing like you guys deal with. I’d say almost to the point of whitecaps, although it would blow up for a while and then settle down. So it was a bit back and forth.

I just felt at times that the Wing was controlling me, instead of me controlling the Wing. But I suppose that’s something I’ll be able to overcome with practice. I think I’ll take Dwight’s advice and just “suck it up.”

Thanks also for your encouragement. Much appreciated.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 01:00:08 AM »
Hi Quick,

Hi Admin. The wind is certainly nothing like you guys deal with. I’d say almost to the point of whitecaps, although it would blow up for a while and then settle down. So it was a bit back and forth.

I just felt at times that the Wing was controlling me, instead of me controlling the Wing. But I suppose that’s something I’ll be able to overcome with practice.

Yeah, that all sounds fine.  If the wing is batting around at the end of your leash, hard to get to your hands, etc, then it is too large.  If it is just not doing what you want then that is entirely expected and you just need a few weeks with it. 

PS:  Its time to switch to your foilboard.  :)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 01:07:26 AM »
The 5.3 and 3.6 is a perfect two wing Naish quiver.. IMO.

You will find the 3.6 a much easier wing to learn with.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 01:59:58 AM »
... I know a 3.6 won’t be enough to fly me on my foil board when I get to that stage...

It certainly will be! Just need enough wind and decent size foil. Around 20 knots (ie a windy day) and you're away, even as a foil novice, especially at your weight.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 10:46:23 AM »
... I know a 3.6 won’t be enough to fly me on my foil board when I get to that stage...

It certainly will be! Just need enough wind and decent size foil. Around 20 knots (ie a windy day) and you're away, even as a foil novice, especially at your weight.

Yes, but where I am, the wind averages probably between 9 to 12 knots. Maybe stronger at times, but that would probably be our average. So I am thinking that a 3.6 Wing would not work with that wind. If I’m wrong on that, please do let me know.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 12:20:47 PM »

Yes, but where I am, the wind averages probably between 9 to 12 knots. Maybe stronger at times, but that would probably be our average. So I am thinking that a 3.6 Wing would not work with that wind. If I’m wrong on that, please do let me know.

Hi,

In that wind at your weight 3.6 doesn't sound like a good match.

My first day didn't go well either, neither my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, nor 8th.  A buddy of mine has 2 or 3 times as much wind/surf/foil experience as I do and his first wing days didn't go well either.  As a beginner unless the kite was being ripped out of my hands or yanking me off my board, I wanted more wing/power.

I would check out some windsurf/sailing basics and how sails and wind work.  Find some smooth water to jibe back and forth in to get the basics of wing handling dialed in.  Then do the same with a foil board without trying to foil, then practice letting the foil come up and pushing it back down.  Trying to learn it all at once is asking a lot, so many moving parts and skills to manage.

Time on the water and you will get there.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 12:41:08 PM »

Yikes! Yes, OK that's light and a 3.6 would be a struggle...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »
The size is fine, perhaps a little large given your weight, but controllable, and I think it's a little easier to learn most of the sailing bits if you're a little bit overpowered.

Go as often as you can manage and you'll make progress. When you get tired, come in and rest or quit for the day. Doing this stuff while you're tired is a bad idea. You won't learn anything other than bad habits.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 06:12:10 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your responses and your encouragement. And thanks as well to John65 for the e-mails and all your support.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 04:00:08 AM »
Hi Quick,

Not to be pushy but it is time to switch to your foilboard.  We have a friend here who is going the learn on SUP first route and when talking about his sessions he is working on solving problems that won't be relevant on a foilboard and not focusing on what he will need to get used to.  It is comfortable but he is learning the wrong sport.  Go for it, suffer a little and get it behind you now.  :)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 08:03:42 AM »
Hi Quick,

Not to be pushy but it is time to switch to your foilboard.  We have a friend here who is going the learn on SUP first route and when talking about his sessions he is working on solving problems that won't be relevant on a foilboard and not focusing on what he will need to get used to.  It is comfortable but he is learning the wrong sport.  Go for it, suffer a little and get it behind you now.  :)
Hmmm, never thought of that. I was going to give it a first go on my SUP while waiting on foiling clearance from my doc, but maybe even that's not worth the bother or risk all things considered.  :-\
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal