Author Topic: Are PFDs being enforced in Dana Point?  (Read 7207 times)

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Are PFDs being enforced in Dana Point?
« on: July 07, 2020, 01:05:23 PM »
Hey crew,

Anyone have any recent data on whether or not Sheriff or anyone else is enforcing the PFD thing when paddling around the harbor or beyond?

Thanks!
Taller than most, shorter than others.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are PFDs being enforced in Dana Point?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 03:04:46 PM »
Last time I paddled distance down there they were enforcing it. During the winter they rarely say anything. But with spring and summer it give Harbor Patrol something to do.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 04:18:46 PM »
Last time I paddled distance down there they were enforcing it. During the winter they rarely say anything. But with spring and summer it give Harbor Patrol something to do.

Thanks Talldude!

My wife and her friend just did some laps...I'm wondering what kinda trouble they got in.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 04:35:25 PM »
Don't worry. I've never seen anyone actually get a ticket. It's just a turn around and head back to the beach and get one. I have a bunch of extra belt type PFD's for family SUP outings, but I also bring a few of the cheap orange life preservers and tie them to the leash loop. That way anyone can just take one of my all around boards out. They crack down on you quick on Lake Tahoe as well. 
It's not overhead to me!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 06:20:05 PM »
Last week when I was launching the LG was on the shoreline and checking everyone. Mine waist PFD was behind my board I was carrying at my waist, and when he was in ear shot he let me know I needed one, and the Sheriff were stopping folks out there...once I lifted my board to show him we was cool. But then yesterday I launched on the north end where there was no one checking, and had inadvertently forgot the PFD in my van, and was passed by two patrol boats who didn't say a thing...was honestly quite surprised, but happy to not be hassled....again.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 12:45:10 PM »
They did a few loops and didn't have a problem. She said the Sheriff boat passed twice also.

They got away with it this time at least...

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 05:50:46 PM »
On a different day with a different sheriff in a different mood the results may vary.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 07:20:11 PM »
Times must be a changing. The Sheriff's boat was posted up at the end of Westwind Sailing dock, and I figured that were turning around those w/o PFDs who'd just launched at the beach there. But nope, several SUPers on inflatables w/o PFDs, leashes, or anything but a paddle in hand cruised 20-30' past the bow of their boat, and neither of the two Sheriffs inside said a word. So the three days I've been out this week, and not a single stop by any patrol boat to talk with any paddler. Amazing... :o

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 01:40:36 PM »
Is it just me, or does the reference to Sheriff, so many times in a discussion about paddling, seem unsettling or out of place?

I have never seen a Sheriff on the water.... only once or twice have I even seen a harbormaster in 10 years on the water.... and they never even notice me.

I don't like the idea of armed law enforcement doing such benign work as PFD enforcers.
Yes, safety is something people need to learn about when they venture into waterworld, but a lifeguard in an inflatable would be a better solution than a Sheriff, IMO

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 04:10:05 PM »
Is it just me, or does the reference to Sheriff, so many times in a discussion about paddling, seem unsettling or out of place?

Agreed!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 04:57:46 PM »
I used to paddle loops around the harbor in the evenings on my flat water unlimited (which I need to start doing again). For a while I didn't wear my PFD. Then one evening the Harbor Patrol stopped me and asked me to" wear a PFD to set an example for the beginners". They know I paddle there all the time and have been for years. I said 'No problem'. I've been wearing it ever since. It may have a water bottle in it instead of a PFD, but I'm setting a good example.
It's not overhead to me!

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »
I used to paddle loops around the harbor in the evenings on my flat water unlimited (which I need to start doing again). For a while I didn't wear my PFD. Then one evening the Harbor Patrol stopped me and asked me to" wear a PFD to set an example for the beginners". They know I paddle there all the time and have been for years. I said 'No problem'. I've been wearing it ever since. It may have a water bottle in it instead of a PFD, but I'm setting a good example.

The intent is there.  ;)

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 05:11:56 PM »
Many winters ago and mid-week, I capsized a small boat on a windy day.  I couldn't get it back up.  After a few minutes struggling, a harbor patrol boat showed up to help.  It didn't bother me that they were armed.  They had the skill and knowledge I needed at the time.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 05:31:33 PM »
Many winters ago and mid-week, I capsized a small boat on a windy day.  I couldn't get it back up.  After a few minutes struggling, a harbor patrol boat showed up to help.  It didn't bother me that they were armed.  They had the skill and knowledge I needed at the time.
You got to know how to right your boat Steve. Come on..
It's not overhead to me!

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 05:50:29 PM »
Yeah.  It was like a Laser, but with a lot more sail area.  And it was the first day I ever sailing it.
I did learn.  One race,  I capsized 4 times and still finished third.  Yes there were more than 3 boats.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal