Author Topic: Advice on foil gear for surviving beach break surf without damage?  (Read 1382 times)

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
What brand (or design) of foil provides the most robust and durable connections for surviving tumbling in the surf (especially shore break)?  I am wondering if designs where front wing to fuse and fuse to mast connections are "through connections" (such as Armstrong and Levitaz) and are more robust to damage in this regard?Also wondering how carbon fabricated components (e.g. masts and fuselages) hold up compared to foils where these parts are fabricated from aluminum.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Advice on foil gear for surviving beach break surf without damage?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 01:06:57 PM »
Flush mounts like the Slingshot snap clean off. Seen it happen. Anything with a mechanical connection, then screws as additional, has the advantage. Axis has a strong mechanical connection. Lift and Moses, also have good mechanical connections.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on foil gear for surviving beach break surf without damage?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 02:35:34 PM »
Based solely on visual examination I'd say Axis is much sturdier in the fuselage. One piece machined from billet aluminum, multiple screws in a broad base for the front wing, solid platform for the stabilizer, and a reinforced, slide in connector for both Aluminum and carbon masts that does not depend on screws for its shear strength--just uses them to fix the parts in place. Where they DO rely on screw strength (front and rear wing) the design is appropriate to likely force. The much larger front wing had a large machined platform that slots into the wing--minimal reliance of screws in shear. The rear platform is the least strong, but it's also the smallest force. I know from firsthand experience that you can bend the shit out of a AXIS aluminum mast rolling around in shorebreak without damaging the fuselage in any way.

I switched to AXIS solely on the basis of the fuselage design and how the front wing attaches. The excellent wings are a fortunate added benefit.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal