Author Topic: Downwind riding techniques  (Read 8559 times)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Downwind riding techniques
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2020, 09:24:02 AM »
Yes Thatspec, that was me the other day.  I was inspired by watching you riding down wind that day.   I would be interested in a big group DWer

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2020, 10:00:06 PM »
Next week looks kind of skanky, which is weird for this time of year. Light and gusty. I'm going to set up for solo shuttling with my eBike. I have to take all this COVID shit seriously since my wife has type 1 diabetes. She points out that I'm theoretically at greater risk than her given my age, but I'm invulnerable.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2020, 02:16:08 AM »
Next week looks kind of skanky, which is weird for this time of year. Light and gusty.

I think you read the forecast for Montana :).  We have 4 days of steady 20's coming with a possible nuker on Thursday. 

For the downwinding/one handing, I am pretty stoked with the progress.  I realized that my biggest problem was trying to force it where it didn't belong and make it happen with pumping alone.  When I focused on one-handing when I was already angled in and already gliding on a decent swell it clicked.  Yesterday was really goofy wind but there were fun, organized and lined up swell in the channel.  I got gliding on a few, dropped the wing and rode angled in for a long while and got the wing back in hand.  A few really good explosions as well  when I let it go too straight down the face :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 02:50:28 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2020, 08:35:07 AM »
Yeah, the biggest problem with the transition from wing power to swell power is overfoiling and a huge explosion since I'm going fast, on a long mast, that just popped out on top of a waist-high swell. Like falling off a ladder. Not what I expected even after doing the same thing in Maui waves and swell. The amount of lift and power on a swell face is always more than I expect. When I come over the top of a swell and concentrate on getting to the leading edge handle I faceplant every time. I have to either look for a low spot in the swell or get over the top and on the face and settle down (stop screaming!) before I do the transition. I'm sure we can get to the current Chris Anderson level with practice, though of course by that time he'll be off to the new CA level.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:37:47 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal