Author Topic: Downwind riding techniques  (Read 8548 times)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Downwind riding techniques
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2020, 04:22:34 PM »
Played with grabbing front power handle with downwind hand, releasing back hand, pumping a couple of times and then powering up.  Worked really well today and easier than I anticipated.   

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 03:47:29 AM »
Played with grabbing front power handle with downwind hand, releasing back hand, pumping a couple of times and then powering up.  Worked really well today and easier than I anticipated.

Phils,

I am not following.  Are you jibing to toeside and keeping your front hand on the power handle like Thatspec had mentioned?  I tried that yesterday on a swell and linked a few "jibeless jibes" with it yesterday. 

We had a really fun 4.2 session at Swell yesterday.  I am in for a downwinder on a cool day or pretty early when it is still cool. 

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 04:40:18 AM »
Not sure who suggested it but this worked great for me:  while riding toe side (left foot forward), I do a modified flag out by grabbing the front power handle with my left hand while keeping my right hand free.  Pump a few times while going downwind and then as I lose glide, I spin the wing and quickly grab the back power handle with my free right hand and power up in the opposite tack. So I ride away heel side (still left foot forward).   

So it is basically a toeside to heelside carving transition but you draw out the downwind part of the carve and ride one handed for a bit.   Surprisingly easy since it is only 2 hand movements.   Doing the same type of sequence but actually flagging out with the leading edge handle takes several more hand movements and my success rate was much lower.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2020, 05:05:51 AM »
Ah, got it.  That is similar to what I was trying as well but I guess I simplified it even further by not switching hands jibing to toeside.  I just kept the left hand on the front handle, let go with the back hand and turned to past downwind and back.  It worked well the first time.  Then I milked it for too long a few times and lost it.  I also over accelerated on a swell and lost it.  More today...

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2020, 05:43:48 AM »
Admin, I think what you are doing is actually more difficult and it's great that you can pull it off.  At my lack of skill level, changing tacks is quicker and much easier.  If during the one handed riding phase, your left hand is on the front handle, that left hand has to get back to the rear handle to power up while maintaining the same tack.  It is much easier to keep the left hand on the front handle and just spin the wing with it while grabbing the rear handle with your free right hand.  This powers you up quickly but you do end up changing tacks.  Of course, all this only works if you are using the power handles.  There are several more hand movements involved if you use the leading edge handle.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 06:39:24 AM by Phils »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2020, 06:52:04 AM »
I am jibing (starting like a jibe) and letting go with the back hand and luffing while riding downwind from the left hand on the front handle only.  That lets me turn from downwind on one tack to downwind on the other and back without ever changing hands or grabbing the rear handle.  My only successful exits from that so far have been ending with a heelside turn and grabbing the back handle again with my right hand (on the original reach).  Today I am going to try ending as a jibe to the new reach which will mean that I need to switch hands at the end.

If I understand you correctly you are jibing and completing your hand switch (both hands) and then switching your your front hand back from right hand on the front handle to left hand on the front handle.  I think the difference is that you are initiating after a completed jibe and hand switch and I am doing it straight form the jibe with no hand switch.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2020, 06:56:33 AM »
Ok, sorry but I think I finally understand.  You go to one handed riding from heelside.  Everything I described is going to one hand from toeside so the luffing wing is mostly behind me.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 07:04:09 AM by Phils »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2020, 07:14:43 AM »
Ok, sorry but I think I finally understand.  You go to one handed riding from heelside.  Everything I described is going to one hand from toeside so the luffing wing is mostly behind me.

Yes, it results in the same position (left hand on the front handle only riding toeside) but it is even simpler because it eliminates the hand switch as your left hand is already in place on the front handle coming straight out of the jibe.  One less thing for me to blow :).  I do have to start the jibe with the front hand underhand though.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2020, 03:44:51 AM »

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2020, 06:43:15 AM »
That video is fantastic.

I am pleased with my progress since starting this topic.  What helped most was committing to the handle, even if for very brief periods of time.  For practice and unless I am under powered, I do my transitions in either direction via the handle.   Build up some speed as I head down wind and look for a bump, grab handle with down wind hand, head straight down wind and then finish my gybe with the extra hand movements needed.  High success rate unless I stay on the handle too long and stall.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2020, 08:01:54 AM »
Practicing going to the handle on a calm East wind at Viento. This seemed so hard a few weeks ago.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2020, 08:43:22 AM »
Okay, I've got to quit screwing around with switchfoot jibes and commit to this. I also need to figure out a reasonable way to shuttle for downwind. I'm thinking I can finish outfitting my fat tire ebike for carrying all my foil stuff so I can lock it to a post about anywhere.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2020, 01:42:23 AM »
Looks great Phils!  I have been doing the hand pass on the LE handle.  I was fumbling too much on that little strut handle.  Two days ago (very smooth 4.2 with a gentle Easterly swell) I ended up accidentally walking the dog a few times before the crash.  Consistency is getting better with this.  Super fun to work on.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:44:12 AM by Admin »

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2020, 07:44:32 AM »
Starting to put it all together.  Plus the magical Armstrong 1850.

https://www.facebook.com/phil.seu.58/videos/771379353634181

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2020, 08:58:09 AM »
Nice video Phils :)
Was that you two days ago over in the White Salmon waves around 4? I didn't recognize the board but you looked familiar.

We did Celilo to Rufus again yesterday and it was highest stress run yet. Through Hells Gate was super light wind (for the 3.6) along with much of the way to the Maryhill bridge. Had to do the first half almost completely under wing power, really no rideable waves. Good practice I guess but not really what I'm looking for there. It's 13 miles under paddle power but I clocked 21.4 miles going back and forth so much.

From the bridge down past Rufus though was the usual classic huge smooth rollers, even a mile of that makes it all worthwhile. We should do an all wing downwinder some time this summer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal