Author Topic: Downwind riding techniques  (Read 8514 times)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Downwind riding techniques
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 03:12:19 AM »

Cool :).  Do you expect them to arrive soon? Still very new so I’ve only seen a couple of quick reviews so far. They should be great for pumping and downwinding.

The front wings arrived yesterday, but that's only half of the order. The remaining parts are currently in a container which SHOULD arrive at Gong on Thursday.

I hope that they are not a one trick pony, and they are still fairly manoeuvrable, which the chat on their website says they are. I've found Gong's description of their products to be pretty accurate so although a bit of a punt given lack of feedback, I've no reason not to trust them. Just need to build the skills to release their potential!

Will feedback here whatever the outcome... I have two images in my head:
1) me flying around at insane speeds ripping it up with a massive grin on my face
2) making massive splashes falling from 1m+ up at insane speed...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 03:40:10 AM »
Watching Brandon's video again carefully, he powers up his wing about 15 seconds in and the way he does it puts him on the opposite tack so he has basically done a downwind transition.    I think what I will start working on is doing some downwind transitions this way.  Instead of the usual carve and flip wing, go downwind on swell and/or pump while flagging out BRIEFLY,  then repower on the opposite tack.  As was suggested by Thatspec, this approach should develop DW riding techniques.  There are extra hand movements involved which can be practiced on land first.

Obviously, foils with good glide will make this much easier.  Yesterday, I was on my Armstrong 1600.  I have the new HS 1850 on order which should glide and pump better. 

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 03:52:53 AM »
Yes - that's something I've been doing as well. Diving off downwind, going past dead downwind (ie gybing) but not flipping the wing or swapping feet and then coming back again. That's just to spend time in that zone where the wind comes from one side and then the other and getting used to the feel of it...

What I need to work into that is getting the wing flagged, but I need to power up again so quickly that not been able to get my head around the hand movements. One thing I noticed that Robert Stehlik does to control his duotone is hold the boom and pull the leading edge into his bicep which is something I might need to do with the Pulse too.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 03:57:19 AM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2020, 04:27:27 AM »
Yes - that's something I've been doing as well. Diving off downwind, going past dead downwind (ie gybing) but not flipping the wing or swapping feet and then coming back again. That's just to spend time in that zone where the wind comes from one side and then the other and getting used to the feel of it...

What I need to work into that is getting the wing flagged, but I need to power up again so quickly that not been able to get my head around the hand movements. One thing I noticed that Robert Stehlik does to control his duotone is hold the boom and pull the leading edge into his bicep which is something I might need to do with the Pulse too.

Hand movements:  This is what I see on the video.  He is riding left foot forward with left hand on flag out handle, so basically toeside, left foot forward.  He brings the wing up closer to himself, then his right hand grabs the front power handle, then his left hand grabs the same front power handle and his right hand goes to the back power handle.  Now he is effectively riding heel side, left foot forward.

So the entire down transition would be:  start by riding toeside, left foot forward.  Flag out with wing in left hand while going down wind.  Repower so you are riding heel side, left foot forward.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2020, 07:25:05 AM »
He's goofy foot but this kid is like a Masterclass.

https://www.facebook.com/fonesup/videos/603763193483215

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 09:23:53 AM »

I will do this as well sometimes, usually when there is just one swell and no obvious path within a 'set'. Another effective tool that simplifies the 'getting back to power' issue, lower the wing but keep your front hand on the power handle. It sits there almost as nicely as using the LE handle but makes it much simpler to re-power with only the back handle to re-grab. Probably brand specific, my S25 sits nicely (as does the Gong) though this tends to wear the skin off your knuckles more quickly.

In this last Titouan video Admin posted, you see at one point an issue Bill describes earlier. The wing often (very) won't sit there so nice and pretty while holding the LE handle. It likes to twist sideways or worse, 'wallpaper' you when you outrun the wind. Seems to happen mostly going through Swell and the Hatchery when there are the most windsurfers per square meter. Usually I'm in a hurry to get through there due to the crowds but a little more back and forth would add some wind to support the wing. Very often I'm switching hands on the LE handle while cutting back and forth across the larger swells and this is the arguably the best feeling of the entire experience for me. Other times I get going too fast to even think about turning tightly :o

Had a near incident at Swell yesterday with a person who misjudged my 20+ downwind speed and insisted on going downwind of me. Screwed up my rhythm and I went in three more times in the next mile :'(

There are points in this downwinding process where we are far and away the least maneuverable craft and and cannot give way. The lawn mowing windsurfers want to use their 50 yard patch of longitude all day, I need it for about 15 seconds ::)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2020, 10:38:31 AM »
He's goofy foot but this kid is like a Masterclass.

That's like watching video of YoYo Ma to learn to play Cello.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RobM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2020, 10:41:24 AM »

Had a near incident at Swell yesterday with a person who misjudged my 20+ downwind speed and insisted on going downwind of me. Screwed up my rhythm and I went in three more times in the next mile :'(

There are points in this downwinding process where we are far and away the least maneuverable craft and and cannot give way. The lawn mowing windsurfers want to use their 50 yard patch of longitude all day, I need it for about 15 seconds ::)

B#$%trd windsurfers!   I used to be one those guys  😜.  Tried wsurfing after about 8 months of winging a few weeks ago, not sure I'll ever go back!  Winging is soooo good!!!
Me: 5'10" (178cm), 185lb (84kg)
Wings: Duotone Unit 5.5m,4.0m; Naish S25 5.3m,3.6m
Board: Fanatic 5'0 Sky Wing (75lt); BluePlanet foil sup 6'6" (116lt)
Foils: Axis 1150,1000;370 tail/short fuse; Neil Pryde Glide Surf L-1484cm2;
Mast: Axis 90, 68cm; NP Flight 82cm,NP Glide 60cm

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2020, 11:13:09 AM »
Back on subject; I’m just riding in flat water for now and during every session I always practice some occasional  “release and pump” (point downwind, go to one handed wing luff and pump the foil since I don’t really have any sizable bumps to work with). I figure that luffed downwind pumping is good practice for luffed swell/wave riding.  I don’t always get that far but I’m getting more comfortable with it. My Moses W1100 actually pumps really well and I think my technique is slowly improving over time

Oooh! That sounds like exactly what I need to do, only we've got plenty of bumps.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

maiz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2020, 07:52:26 AM »
Great ideas posted here, this forum is awesome! And thanks for bringing up this topic.

I started spreading my wing a few weeks ago and while zig-zagging across the river makes an intricate (not necessarily pretty) knot, flying down wind is next. I'm looking for folks to meet up and ride downwind. @thatspec, @admin, who else is in the gorge?

First d/w sessions will be, let's say...informative. I'll find a groove, been kiting since '06 with 2 years on foil.

Cheers!

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2020, 09:10:21 AM »
I'm looking for folks to meet up and ride downwind. @thatspec, @admin, who else is in the gorge?

First d/w sessions will be, let's say...informative. I'll find a groove, been kiting since '06 with 2 years on foil.

Cheers!

Heck, it looks like you went two miles longer in that session than a Viento to HR run. Should be no problem for you.
Send me a PM, I'm going generally every other day. Today is on somewhere though I have an appt. down in Carson so not sure where or when.

maiz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2020, 09:18:46 AM »
Wish I could peel away from work every other day early enough to get out there. Friday looking more promising than today.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2020, 10:35:52 AM »
Great ideas posted here, this forum is awesome! And thanks for bringing up this topic.

I started spreading my wing a few weeks ago and while zig-zagging across the river makes an intricate (not necessarily pretty) knot, flying down wind is next. I'm looking for folks to meet up and ride downwind. @thatspec, @admin, who else is in the gorge?

Cheers!
My wife and I are at the gorge. We r at ES/Jensen almost every day

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2020, 10:46:45 AM »
Well the weekend is looking windy at least :) It also looks like tomorrow has better potential for DW-ing than today anyway. Probably will do a short session somewhere though and work on my weak side...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »
Great session at Swell City today, chasing bumps. There were some hefty waist-high chunkies coming through, thick and powerful at the bottom, pointy and feathering on top. If I had straps it would have been a good day to jump.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM