Author Topic: Infinity Blackfish PVC  (Read 14097 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Blackfish PVC
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2020, 09:34:44 PM »
Hey Kip. I just picked up a used Blackfish yesterday. I got a 2019, 12’ 6” x 23”. I’ve only taken it out a couple of times, but my initial impression is that I love this board. It’s fast, it tracks straight, it’s nimble and really responsive, and it turns on a dime. It’s also really stable for a 23” board. My very early impression is that this is one of the nicest boards I’ve owned or paddled. Given what I am experiencing, I’m sure you are going to love your board.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Kip

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2020, 09:37:54 PM »
Hey Kip. I just picked up a used Blackfish yesterday. I got a 2019, 12’ 6” x 23”. I’ve only taken it out a couple of times, but my initial impression is that I love this board. It’s fast, it tracks straight, it’s nimble and really responsive, and it turns on a dime. It’s also really stable for a 23” board. My very early impression is that this is one of the nicest boards I’ve owned or paddled. Given what I am experiencing, I’m sure you are going to love your board.

Weeee ooooh! Stoked to hear it! And congrats on scoring a used one; that’s the smart way to go

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2020, 09:43:42 PM »

Weeee ooooh! Stoked to hear it! And congrats on scoring a used one; that’s the smart way to go

Yes, this one came available, I took it for a test paddle and couldn’t say no. I really didn’t need another board and I may end up selling something else, but this one is a keeper for sure.

I’ve always either bought used, or got a really good deal on new. I’ve never paid full, list price for a new board. But after I went for a good paddle this morning on the Blackfish, I told my wife  that this is the first board I would pay full price for.

You really are going to love it. Once you get it and take it for a couple of paddles, I’d love to hear your impressions.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2020, 10:04:58 PM »

Yes, this one came available, I took it for a test paddle and couldn’t say no. I really didn’t need another board and I may end up selling something else, but this one is a keeper for sure.

I’ve always either bought used, or got a really good deal on new. I’ve never paid full, list price for a new board. But after I went for a good paddle this morning on the Blackfish, I told my wife  that this is the first board I would pay full price for.

You really are going to love it. Once you get it and take it for a couple of paddles, I’d love to hear your impressions.

AT this rate you are going to need a bigger lake!
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2020, 07:37:38 AM »
AT this rate you are going to need a bigger lake!

Too funny! Maybe at least a bigger house with a larger storage area. Or probably just need to sell something to make some more room, which is likely going to happen.

Do you know the board I got? It was Genna’s board, which she apparently only paddled once or twice.

Good to hear from you Luc. Hope you are doing well.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Kip

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2020, 05:02:39 PM »
HEY-OH DUDES!

Got my 14x23 PVC today and I absolutely love it. Have only taken it out once so far to do some fartlek and mess around with step back turns, but my frist impressions are this:

LIGHT! It felt so much lighter and manageable than my Riviera.
Tracking is phenomenal. I can do multiple strokes on one side without having to switch.
Smoooooooth. This sucker just GLIDES over the water. It's so quiet and surreal, almost like it's skipping along. You can bring it up to 7MPH no problem. Maintining with this weak runner's upper body is a different story, but it really has some get up and go! I don't think I was able to do that for very long on my Riviera without the wind at my back.
Stability is rock solid. I got a lot of advice not to drop down to a 23" from a 25" since I've only been on the water since March/April, but I don't regret it one bit. With the board being narrower and my technique lacking, it feels much better getting my paddle to catch without feeling like I'm over reaching. And it feels just as stable as my 14x25 riviera. The strange thing is that once you step back towards the flat area on the tail to turn, it feels even more stable. I have no problem walking around on this board.
Undoubtedly I will fall multiple times when I get out in the bay on choppy days, but that's ok!
Durability: Stout. Of course, I wasn't paying attention on my way to the water and bumped the tail against the parking lot - not one paint chip! Was super suprised.

I am SO happy I purchased this. And after taking it for a spin I have no regrets paying full retail either. This thing is sick!

THANKS INFINITY!

whitecap

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2020, 05:20:21 PM »
BITCHIN' Kip!
2018 INFINITY Blackfish 14x28
SIC SCC V2 Bullet 2015+/-
Naish Glide 14 V2 2014+/-
Black Project Maliko [& a host of other fins]
Black Project Lava adj. & Quickblade Trifecta

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2020, 06:59:05 PM »
Hey Kip. Congrats on the board. I knew you would love it. You even got the exact same colour as mine! Or maybe there isn't a choice on colour??? Not sure as I bought mine used.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Kip

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2020, 08:14:44 PM »
Hey Kip. Congrats on the board. I knew you would love it. You even got the exact same colour as mine! Or maybe there isn't a choice on colour??? Not sure as I bought mine used.

They had one left in each color, and I went with blue.

LOVE THIS THING MAN! Can't wait to wake up tomorrow haha ;D

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2020, 05:30:25 PM »
Awesome report Kip and congrats!  Soon, I'll be in a similar situation...trying to decide which size width to drop down to. I'm currently at a 28 and would love to dip down to a 25 or even 24 inch wide board. Although, the 'safer' pick would be a 26.
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

Kip

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2020, 08:08:36 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymdC0CThNcA

Still a little tippy when side chop gets me, but thought you all would like to get an idea how this bad boy slices and glides!

I LOVE IT!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:14:49 PM by Kip »

Kip

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2020, 08:22:21 PM »
Awesome report Kip and congrats!  Soon, I'll be in a similar situation...trying to decide which size width to drop down to. I'm currently at a 28 and would love to dip down to a 25 or even 24 inch wide board. Although, the 'safer' pick would be a 26.

This is definitely more "work" than the 25, but I don't regret it. I know it's going to take a while on the bay to get really comfortable on biger days, but I enjoy the challenge! I've been able to get an extra 1MPH, even upwind, on my last couple outtings which is nice. I onlt started in March though, so I can't even gie much advice. I've only been on a 31, 25, and 23.

Burchas had really great advice on my first post asking about race boards:

"Many SUP beginners are making the mistake of getting sucked into the narrow board hype but you have to ask your self to what end? Do you intend to race a lot?(you'll have to wait a bit for that ;))
Even if your answer to this is yes, you'll still benefit from a little wider board. As talented as you might be, developing a good stroke is something that takes time and can be executed much better on a little wider board where you don't struggle with balance. Another reason is race starts. Often chaotic and full of contact, chances are you'll find your self swimming and right there you lost your narrow board perceived advantage.

If you're not going to race a lot, then what's the point of getting a narrow board? If you just like to be fast on the water, you're in the wrong sport. Sup are slow. You also want to consider further down the road when you might want to take on downwinding. You may regret not having a wider board when you'll spend a lot of time swimming rather than catching bumps.

With flat water it easy to ride narrow board and feel accomplished. I went as far as riding an 18" board, looking back I can't remember what was the point of the exercise. If it just speed you're after, you might grow out of this sport as fast as you could ride a 21" wide board. If it's the challenge, the water can always match you with condition you wouldn't be able to ride even a 40" wide board. It's all about the conditions you want to ride or see your self riding in the future, that's how you'll choose the right board.

Before buying a 21" or even a 23" board consider that in case you do not like the board, you'll be taking a big hit on what you paid when trying to sell it, that is if you'll even be able to sell it at all."

Kip

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2020, 03:40:09 PM »
Wanted to give a little long term review:

I still absolutely love the ride of this board. It glides smooth and handles chop very well. I’ve taken it on everything from flatwater, to a lake with wakes in the summer (see: washing machine), to the choppy bay, to a 7 mile downwinder with 35MPH gusts. It can handle almost anything.

I still maintain that it feels equally as stable as the 25” Riviera I had (this is 23”) and it’s fast too. It’s just an amazing board and it looks sick AF. I love this board so much that I actually bought 2 more infinity boards. Out of my 3 boards, I almost always reach for this one. If I had to have just one board, this would absolutely be it.

I still don’t know a whole lot about SUP construction or production, but my suggestion would be: if you can afford the Team Elite construction, buy it! I opted for the PPVC Tech version because I was impatient and couldn’t come up with the extra money for Carbon that week, but if I could go back I’d wait a bit and buy Carbon.

After purchasing this board, I ended up purchasing a Team Elite Whiplash - and besides some paddle marks and pressure dents (dents were from careless 3rd party freight company), it’s in very good shape. It is SUPER durable. Same story with the used 2 year old Team Elite Downtown I picked up: no chips, dings, or damage. Both have held up very well. It’s pretty amazing.

My PVC Blackfish hasn’t been quite as durable. I do paddle it a lot and I can be pretty rough on my gear, but it’s got paint chips, dings, and a crack in the outter shell from a paddle smack (Not complaining here; I shred on this thing).

I’ve had some issues with the deck pad getting little air bubbles when it’s warm out and recently the adhesive started lifting near kick/tail area. Super minor and somewhat expected stuff, and pretty easy to fix, but these little issues are simply nonexistent on my two Team Elite boards. That’s how good that construction is!

All in all the Blackfish is fantastic board. When I break this one I’ll definitely buy another, but this time in Team Elite construction. Highly recommend!

Anybody else been riding this board ?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 04:07:22 PM by Kip »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal