Author Topic: Infinity Blackfish PVC  (Read 14042 times)

Kip

Infinity Blackfish PVC
« on: July 06, 2020, 10:20:15 AM »
Just noticed this PVC hybrid version of the 2020 Blackfish at a pretty decent price point.

https://infinity-sup.com/products/2020-blackfish-pvc

Is this similar construction to the SIC RS ? Anyone seen this or ridden a demo version yet ?

Seems like a pretty sweet option saving you $600, but costing you 5 to 8 lbs over Carbon.

Thoughts from all you knowledgeable folks ?

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity Blackfish PVC
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 10:27:30 AM »
Why not pay the extra $500 and purchase the full carbon SIC RS?
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 10:43:18 AM »
The carbon are made in the same factory as Jimmy Lewis, Kinetic, so most likely it is the same as the fiberglass construction of the JL boards.

I have a 2018 Infinity Whiplash 14*25 dugout and it is not light, 29lbs, but it is extremely durable compared to my Jimmy Lewis Rail Carbon which is still a hybrid PVC with carbon on the outside and fibreglass on the inside of the PVC. I know that the new carbon construction from Infinity is lighter so it is possible the weight penalty is not that bad compared to the older boards.

SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »
Can't really go wrong with an Infinity.  Not familiar with the PVC versions but the Carbons are among the most durable I've found.  Whether the extra pounds make a difference depends on what you're using it for.  Certainly, every pound helps but since I'm well over 200lbs an extra 5lbs on the doesn't make as much difference as 20 less pounds on the paddler.  If you're lighter and in the hunt for the podium, that weight becomes more of an issue.

I'm a big fan of Infinity, but should say that I've never owned a new board.  Much better value to find something used if there's a market in your area.  Despite what I said above, I still prefer a lighter carbon construction, but I haven't paid more than $1500 for either of the two I own.  Sure, they're not the shape du jour, but again, those little tweaks in performance are lost on me.  I should say that if your comparison brand is SIC, you probably can't go wrong with either choice.  Both very reputable well, made boards.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Kip

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 02:35:21 PM »
Why not pay the extra $500 and purchase the full carbon SIC RS?

Probably worth it in the long run. Family of 4 on a single income, so ya know, always trying to find the best deal

Kip

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 06:02:55 PM »
Infinity weight the 14x23 for me @ 25lbs  8)

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 06:12:53 PM »

I hear you Kip - and you are smart to have a budget. We can all keep playing that game..."if I just spend an extra $300 I can buy XYZ", before you know it, you've purchased a $5,000 board.

The only reason I asked it like that (and sorry for not being more clear), is I was curious about comparing the two boards since I think they're basically competitor boards in the same class.  I'm considering both myself.
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

Kip

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 09:28:53 PM »
LoudounSUP,

Truth be told I'm just learning about all this stuff. I was originally looking at the SIC RS because somtehing drew me to it aesthetically and people had recommended it as a fast board + you could get the 23" for quite a bit less than the Starboard 23". I was/am looking for something that can perform in the choppy lakes I paddle with the ability to hit the bay every so often. Someone on this forum recommended the Blackfish which I hadn't considered and I saw this year they made the PVC blend at a lower price point ($500 less than the carbon verson, $500 less than the SIC RS PVC sandwich) and figured for my needs and current abiity it would be a good option without breaking the bank.
The carbon sounds nice, but it's only 5lbs of difference for the blackfish. $100/pound doesn't make sense to me personally for what I'll be doing. If I get serious about racing I can just drop 5 lbs off myself. Did that for plenty of years before competition when I was trail running competitively haha

Anything interesting you've found while comparing the two ?

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 09:37:11 AM »
Kip - I'm in a similar boat (so to speak). I'm in my 4th week of SUP so also still learning. I'm currently on a iSUP so getting a hard board is next on my list. As a novice, I'm seeking stability over everything. The perfect boat for me would be a barge that has good glide.  8) This is basically what the SIC RS is for race boards. From what I've gathered, its a very stable SUP with good glide. Perhaps not as "all out" fast as the Starboard All-Star but easier to get up to speed for a newbie.
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 10:07:47 AM »
Sorry to hyjack your thread, but I obviously haven't paid much attention to the race scene lately. Because of this thread, I watched some of Infinity's videos. Kia Lenny is on Team Infinity. Did not know that.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 10:30:13 AM »
Sorry to hyjack your thread, but I obviously haven't paid much attention to the race scene lately. Because of this thread, I watched some of Infinity's videos. Kia Lenny is on Team Infinity. Did not know that.

I knew he did some stuff with Infinity last year but last time I checked he had a Starboard All-Star as the quiver race board.
in progress...

Kip

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 11:45:45 AM »
Kip - I'm in a similar boat (so to speak). I'm in my 4th week of SUP so also still learning. I'm currently on a iSUP so getting a hard board is next on my list. As a novice, I'm seeking stability over everything. The perfect boat for me would be a barge that has good glide.  8) This is basically what the SIC RS is for race boards. From what I've gathered, its a very stable SUP with good glide. Perhaps not as "all out" fast as the Starboard All-Star but easier to get up to speed for a newbie.

Nice!

The best thing I did was buy my used 25” Riviera for $800 to  I make sure I was still improving and would like it. Now I’m selling it and won’t lose any money. Only negative I got was the wifey eye roll 😂
I also saw you could get the Starboard 24.5” blend on Paddle Surf Warehouse for $1995 which I considered.

Let me know what you go with and how you like it! I’d be interested to hear.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 12:03:51 PM »

If thats the weight on the PVC, that's great.  I'd pull the trigger.  For what you're using it for that's not going to be much of a factor.  The Blackfish is a very solid and stable open water board.  I paddle mine everyday and haven't come across anything better across all potential conditions.  Since the price is where you want it to be, just do it so you can get out and have fun.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 03:53:55 PM »

Did you see his latest instagram post riding the BlurrV2?? Sweet...

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 04:14:14 PM »
LoudounSUP,

Truth be told I'm just learning about all this stuff. I was originally looking at the SIC RS because somtehing drew me to it aesthetically and people had recommended it as a fast board + you could get the 23" for quite a bit less than the Starboard 23". I was/am looking for something that can perform in the choppy lakes I paddle with the ability to hit the bay every so often. Someone on this forum recommended the Blackfish which I hadn't considered and I saw this year they made the PVC blend at a lower price point ($500 less than the carbon verson, $500 less than the SIC RS PVC sandwich) and figured for my needs and current abiity it would be a good option without breaking the bank.
The carbon sounds nice, but it's only 5lbs of difference for the blackfish. $100/pound doesn't make sense to me personally for what I'll be doing. If I get serious about racing I can just drop 5 lbs off myself. Did that for plenty of years before competition when I was trail running competitively haha

Anything interesting you've found while comparing the two ?

I've been waiting to see the new construction myself. Wifey needs a new raceboard and the PVC version looks great i live in DP so had to see for myself and i weighed a few with Dave at Infinity here's what i got fyi...

Blackfish flatdeck 14' x 24.5" x 23lbs (this is new molded carbon construction for this year and it is killer!)

Blackfish flatdeck 14' x 24.5" x 26.4lbs (this board looks very nice and can't tell the difference from the carbon almost like they made it too nice ha!)

Pretty impressed you are gonna be stoked

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM