Author Topic: Weed fin for JL Sidewinder  (Read 2264 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Weed fin for JL Sidewinder
« on: July 05, 2020, 05:49:12 PM »
Can anyone recommend a better weed-shedding all-around fin for the Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder? The stock fin seems to have a good enough balance of tracking, stability, and maneuverability for my use, but it's AWFUL at shedding eelgrass and similar stringy seaweed. I've tried the SIC Weedless (7" ?) from my Bullet on the sidewinder, and that's much better at shedding the weeds, but it makes the sidewinder a bit tippier than I'm comfortable with.

I mainly race and tour this board in flatwater and coastal chop (quartering wind, reflected waves, etc), so I'm more interested in speed and stability than downwind/surfiness.

Thanks!

BS

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Weed fin for JL Sidewinder
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 06:48:40 PM »
The Futures Red Fish will absolutely not pick up weed. But it won't add much stability over the SIC 7.0. For stability you really need depth. So you could try the Futures Byron Kurt Fin. It sheds weeds at least as well as the SIC Weedless, but will add a bit more stability. I tried one in a Sidewinder and it was pretty good as an all round fin.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 01:17:56 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, A10! Those both look promising, and the Red Fish is priced to move right now.

With fairly similar area and height between the Red Fish/Byron Kurt, Weedless (maybe the 8.3 rather than the 7, though I can't find detailed dimensions for either SIC fin), and even the JL Tracker Weed fin (I just remembered I have one from my M-12 that I don't use on that board) I'm wondering what effect their very different shapes are intended to have on performance? The SIC is kind of "raked dagger" shape, with straight lines and lightly increasing width toward the base, whereas the JL Weed's area is concentrated more toward the tip. The Red Fish/Byron Kurt seem to have more area in the midsection, with a narrower base and tapered tip.

Here's my not-to-scale, ugly, freehand attempt to show their shapes superimposed on each other:

;D

At this point, I'll probably give the JL Weed a try before buying anything else, since I've already got it, but I'd like to understand the theory of why these different fins put their area in different places too.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 07:32:43 PM »
Can anyone recommend a better weed-shedding all-around fin for the Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder? The stock fin seems to have a good enough balance of tracking, stability, and maneuverability for my use, but it's AWFUL at shedding eelgrass and similar stringy seaweed. I've tried the SIC Weedless (7" ?) from my Bullet on the sidewinder, and that's much better at shedding the weeds, but it makes the sidewinder a bit tippier than I'm comfortable with.

I mainly race and tour this board in flatwater and coastal chop (quartering wind, reflected waves, etc), so I'm more interested in speed and stability than downwind/surfiness.

Thanks!

BS
Allison Dolphin Keel all the forward in the fin box at all times.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:41:57 PM by Larry Allison »
Allison Race Fins

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 08:57:24 AM »
...I'm wondering what effect their very different shapes are intended to have on performance?

For what you're describing, especially the coastal part, I like the LA Dolphin Keel. Lots of Area for open water stability but you're not paying drag tax on depth at 7.5" deep.
The Bulk of its area is at the first 1/3 of the fin closer to the base which has a lot to do with how fast is a fin paddling wise.  Tracking wise, well you can see how raked it is, along with
your bottom channel you'd be drawing straight lines on your GPS map ;D As far as weed goes, it's a non-issue.

My go to fin on the 14x24 blackfish for mixed conditions, Not for pure flat water though (unless you really need stability).

One thing not often enough mentioned is the structure of the fin. The fiberglass construction of the Dolphin Keel VS the honeycomb that may not support this much
overhang at the rake with such a narrow neck at the base. I had a fin like that when I installed  it in the fin box I could move it side to side almost like a plastic fin.
I wonder if the JL has the same affect, if it does, that means that some of the power you put in your stroke gets lost because of that wig-wag. Not what you want for racing.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 09:04:58 AM by burchas »
in progress...

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 09:23:13 AM »
Burchas, Larry, thanks for the recommendation on the Dolphin Keel. That's a nice looking fin!

While I mentioned "tracking" in my requirements, I think what I really meant was something that I can get a lot of strokes per side without causing the board to turn too much. Somewhat related to this, I'd prefer a fin that will "drift" a bit in in side winds, rather than causing the nose to pivot around a firmly planted tail fin and requiring a lot of effort to correct direction. Does this alter your recommendation for a relatively large area fin like the dolphin keel at all?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »
Burchas, Larry, thanks for the recommendation on the Dolphin Keel. That's a nice looking fin!

While I mentioned "tracking" in my requirements, I think what I really meant was something that I can get a lot of strokes per side without causing the board to turn too much. Somewhat related to this, I'd prefer a fin that will "drift" a bit in in side winds, rather than causing the nose to pivot around a firmly planted tail fin and requiring a lot of effort to correct direction. Does this alter your recommendation for a relatively large area fin like the dolphin keel at all?

The trick in cross-winds is to stand further forward from your normal paddling position. You achieve 2 thing doing that:
  • You have more control over the nose
  • in many board that means your fin isn't as engaged, specifically the lower part closer to the base
With the relative shallow depth of the dolphin keel, you'll feel this affect right away. And it makes a difference paddling in cross-wind. I would know, I do it for living ::)
in progress...

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 01:24:39 PM »
The trick in cross-winds is to stand further forward from your normal paddling position. You achieve 2 thing doing that:
  • You have more control over the nose
  • in many board that means your fin isn't as engaged, specifically the lower part closer to the base
With the relative shallow depth of the dolphin keel, you'll feel this affect right away. And it makes a difference paddling in cross-wind. I would know, I do it for living ::)

I'm familiar with that trick!  :)

On my sidewinder, I'm in the habit of standing with my toes forward of the handle in strong side winds, and this definitely helps resist yaw.  With the the dolphin keel carrying so much of its area close to the board, I can see how this could be a particularly effective approach with that fin.

Thanks!

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM