Author Topic: SUP Status on Totem Pole  (Read 2330 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
SUP Status on Totem Pole
« on: July 04, 2020, 02:31:03 PM »
I spend a fair amount of time on facebook and have learned the hard way not to engage...but sometimes it's just hard to hold my tongue! A surfer I know posted a water shot he scored and said a sup surfer "ruined" his shot because the sup surfer's arm and paddle were sticking out from behind him as he he rode. So I Photo-shopped the arm out and put it comments. Then this other surfer comments about how it's ok to burn a sup surfer cuz we're so low on the pole. So instead of freaking out on fb thought I'd let you guys toss in some comments/opinions/lashings!
I know the self entitled burner pretty well and figured it best to vent with my own flock!  8)

Basically my reply to the dude woulda been 'You're welcome to come to my local and dish me out a justifiable burn. Or better yet, fly out to Maui and find Laird on a really good day and justifiably burn him. Then we'll see who's where on the totem"!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 02:33:06 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Status on Totem Pole
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 02:43:19 PM »
I don’t love hate of any kind but as a SUP guy I view myself on a sup below kids on boogie boards as far as cool.

I can’t really see us having any other status. Even foiling which is kooky AF has jumped ahead of SUP surfing as far as cool. You are a badass surfer man and way beyond my level in all disciplines but in my opinion SUP was never and never will be cool. Even as I love it and have recently rediscovered it, I have to just resign myself to losing all status in the lineup.

The good news is that I still get 3x the waves and when I get burnt I’m back on the next wave before the offender kicks out. And then he has to see me an hour later on my self shaped longboard and wonder why I do that kooky stuff. Double revenge lol.

Side not, unrelated, Laird surfs Malibu in Summer and Kauai in Winter. I’m not sure why he’s not a Maui guy anymore.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 06:01:11 PM »
Dude, you wouldn't have made the wave if not for the Supster spanking your ass for a proper sendoff...
in progress...

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 06:27:07 PM »
looks to me the laydown guy is in the SUPers way and should apologize.😉

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 07:12:12 PM »
Tom, you guys in SD use proners as speed bumps don’t you?

By the way, Cook, I don’t ever think you’d be in the wrong. Your skills are well proven. I’m just speaking to the way people see the sport. I’m going to venture that if anyone on this board gets cut off the other guy is a jerk. I’ll make that statement here and now.  : ;)

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 01:52:55 AM »
ha ha, happens sometimes, especially if the dropper thinks you won't make the wave.
Surfers do it to each other all the time.

I ruined this guys shot, when you could see me climbing his foam ball, then passing him on Friday  ;D ;D

oh yeah.... I see myself the same as everyone else in the line-up.
Rules apply.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 07:00:50 AM »
But Creek, don’t they know that having you behind them is as good as having a drone in the air?  ;)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 11:43:51 AM »
I'm looking to getting a surf mat so that's even lower on the totem poll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=pMfYt0naMwo&feature=emb_logo

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 11:58:04 AM »
I know Jon and while I understand Surfer’s dislike SUPs I’m very surprised and disappointed he’s posting on social media it’s okay to drop in.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 06:39:38 PM »
Surfmats are so fun it doesn’t matter that you’re a speed bump.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal