Author Topic: What do you know about VESL ?  (Read 13381 times)

Kip

What do you know about VESL ?
« on: July 04, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »
This is for curiosities sake (don't worry burchas, I'm just nerding out some more  ;)

What do you know about VESL ? I saw their boards when looking at an AllStar @ PSW and got curious.
Saw an interesting exchange between teh company and "The Mullet"  here:

https://www.paddlemonster.com/2018/01/19/sonar-report-jan-19-2018-complicit-consumers/

The design looks kind of familiar:

https://veslpaddleboards.com/vesl-14-0-x-24-performance-touring-paddle-board.html

But I'm curious if anyone knows about the company, who designs the boards, and where they're manufactured.

JUST FOR FUN!

Cheers,

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What do you know about VESL ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 01:19:54 PM »
VESL is PSW own brand. They have their own manufacturing lines in China so they are direct to consumer, cutting all the fat in between. And they know how to move sh*t. Smart really.
They shamelessly copy good proven shapes (including paddles) and make it their own, like they did with Bark,  only sell it half the price because they can. Quality is as good as you're going to
get from China.
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 01:31:23 PM »
Quality is as good as you're going to
get from China.
At that price point.

If you pay a manufacturer in China more money to do a full PVC sandwich and they'll do it. Exactly like you tell them to.... usually.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Kip

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 02:01:59 PM »
VESL is PSW own brand. They have their own manufacturing lines in China so they are direct to consumer, cutting all the fat in between. And they know how to move sh*t. Smart really.
They shamelessly copy good proven shapes (including paddles) and make it their own, like they did with Bark,  only sell it half the price because they can. Quality is as good as you're going to
get from China.

Interesting! Have you paddled one ? Is there a general dislike of the brand in the SUP community? Or are they just not that performance driven because of their manufacturing location/materials ? If I recall, before I touched it up, my Riviera had a “made in China” sticker on it

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 02:29:36 PM »
As far as “the community” if you’re wondering, yeah this isn’t a Starboard or Naish or Bark. If you’re  at an event the community will know you bought a discount board. At the same time, if you’re on a lake in Missouri you’re the coolest person in town and no one cares.

But I’m sure they are a great value for the money. I ride a Gong foil, so I clearly don’t care about brands. But this will not be the lightest or strongest board you can buy if that’s what your asking. But fully functional fun board in my opinion. Just a different tier.

But rolling up to San O, you’re on a wavestorm basically (which I also own and ride for fun lol.)

Kip

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 02:40:41 PM »
😂 Wavestorm was my first board before I went “full nerd” (as my wife likes to say). I averaged a blistering 2.9 mph on that bad boy 🤣

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 02:42:38 PM »
VESL has taken over where Riviera left off. I think VESL hits the markets better with their surf range shape sizes and options. Performance with a little more volume, at a bargain price. Not really durable, but cheaper performance. Yes... clone what shapes sell is the name of the game for pop-outs.
It's not overhead to me!

Kip

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 03:31:58 PM »
Any idea if they have any relation to POP ? Or maybe the same factory ? The handles, deck grip, bamboo and even a couple of the designs look pretty dang similar !

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 07:15:20 PM »
TD, that’s better than my perception. I liked a lot of Rivieras. We only see them on Craigslist up here. Funny how much that hurts a brand.

I stand corrected then on quality maybe better than I assumed from their marketing and where I see them sold and ridden.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 10:37:05 AM »
Kip,
Here's the big picture. You contact one of these companies overseas and get a hundred made with your name and logo on them. You can then be a SUP brand. For better or for worse.

https://www.alibaba.com/products/standup_paddle_board.html?IndexArea=product_en&page=1

It's not overhead to me!

TourmoSUPr

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 03:50:22 PM »
I bought a 10' x 28" surf version. Pin tail with big round nose. When i purchased, i was planning to buy a Wavestorm for crap days and surfing around rocks.  Came across ad on Craigslist for a really low price. When up and bought one on way hoem from a meeting in OC.

It's heavy. Has stood up very well to my absolute lack of care and consideration when using. Price was so low was an almost disposable type decision if didn't like it.

This board is a lot of fun when surf is really weak. Since nothing can really be surfed any more than point and shoot in these type of conditions, the board works great. I have enjoyed the board as it has really helped me work on cross-stepping to nose. I surf it as a single fin with an 8 inch fairly rounded fin.

I have also taken it out in shoukder high waves when it's blown out. Board is very stable in chop. It did better than i expected in those conditions. Just need to really stay on tail.

One thing this board does great is glide into waves.

As a third string back up board for slow or crappy conditions, the board works well. Only negative i have had is the weight when carrying up a hill after a session.

Knowing all of the above, would i buy it again? Yes.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 08:30:29 AM »
VESL adds were prevalent on our local craigslist.  I have no experience with the brand.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/sgd/d/santa-cruz-cruz-sup-honors-vesl-sup/7142214292.html
"CRUZ SUP honors VESL SUP Warranty Issues
For over 10 years we have designed and manufactured 1000’s of paddle boards. CRUZ brand SUPS are unmatched in price, design, construction, quality, selection and 10 year warranty.
For 5 years we were a VESL paddle board distributor. Last year we were very disappointed with most VESL SUPS we purchased. We immediately were having problems with the VESL models in this large shipment. Paddle Surf warehouse (the VESL manufacturer) has not responded to ANY Warranty requests from us for boards we repaired and replaced for our customers.
VESL brand, on their websites and postings, advertise: 1 year Warranty, multi layer exterior construction, True Future fin boxes, carbon in performer surf model, and Outerbank surf model, and more. We have found none of the above to be true. We just cut up 5 VESL models in 3 sections each to view actual construction – and discovered problems.
OUR VESL SUP WARRANTY ISSUES
1. Bamboo SUPS splitting down side rail
2. Wide Performer Surf Series buckles or snaps in half
3. Multi Fin (4 + 1) Surf Series – All fin boxes failing
4. Glass or painted models delaminating
5. Carbon Surf Models buckle in surf.
6. Many/ most models fin box leaks & failures.
BAMBOO SUPS
Some mould foam cores have too much air. With heat or altitude the gore-Tex breather on Eps (Epoxy) SUPS cannot gas out the air fast enough and side rail spits occur.
Rail splits also occur from incomplete bamboo enclosure along the rail.
SURF SERIES BUCKLE
When Surf SUPS are made lighter weight (2-3 lbs.) by more air added to the mould foam core, or lighter by a thinner exterior fiberglass/ resin shell the structural strength/ integrity of the paddle board is weakened.
MULTI FIN 4 + 1
For 30 years of Fin Box installation by Shapers and surfboard builders and 24 years of Future Fin Box co. who specify installation of their fin box:
a) Excavate cavity in foam core for Fin box
b) Fill excavated cavity with fiber glass resin
c) Immerse fin box in resin
d) Resin adheres to foam core fin box and rock hard
e) Fiberglass cloth and resin over fin box
TRUE FUTURE co. fin boxes are stamped “Future – Made in Huntington Beach, CA”.
Future Co & youtube reveal A B C D E above.
When Fin Boxes are set in foam, the soft foam can move and easily flex which creates cracks around the fin boxes that leak. The foam also does not adhere to the foam core.
Fin boxes set in foam are not the method specified for the past 30 years by professional shapers.
GLASSED OR PAINTED SUPS
SUPS built from China ‘Pop out” moulds that have too much air – again the air cannot gas out fast enough in heat or altitude through the gore-Tex breather on all the Eps SUPS, and delamination can more easily occur. Also too thin of a fiberglass / resin shell to make SUPS lighter weight also contribute to delamination.
CARBON SURF MODELS
True carbon SUPS are very expensive to build.
SUPS advertised 2-3 1lbs lighter by adding air to the EPS/ foam core and/or a thin fiberglass/ resin shell with exterior paint should not be mistaken for true carbon ($1500 SUP).
SUP models built with air & thin exterior shells easily break.
FUTURE FIN BOXES
Specified method is surround in resin reservoir that adheres to core & rock hardens.
New FOAM METHOD easily fails.
VESL DEALERS & MANUFACTURER
FOR WARRANTY
Cal Sup Outlet/ Cruz Quality SUPS wishes to apologize to our many past customers who purchased VESL Paddle Boards from us.
VESL CUSTOMERS – VERY SORRY – WE DID NOT KNOW until we cut up
5 VESL Paddle Board models to discover what all these problems were about.
Call or Text Gordie who has taken care of every Cal Sup VESL customer with VESL Sup repairs or replaced with Cruz board SUPS"
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Kip

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 10:16:05 AM »
sflinux,

That's wild! Thank you for sharing.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »
I've seen that ad posted on CL. It probably has some merit, but it's a pretty shitty smear campaign. Some of the remarks stated are coming from someone who doesn't really know how to glass a board. Their note regarding fin install spec that applies to polyurethane blanks. The fin box being immersed in epoxy in a EPS foam board will cause an exothermic reaction that would melt the EPS foam away from the fin box. A lot of those statements are just someone talking out their ass. There is something more to the story than meets the eye. Distribution deal gone sour or something? I seen more than 5 buckled Riviera Nugg's buckle in the surf. Stringerless boards tend to buckle in big surf. Fin boxes are always a spot that gets damaged. The Air and gas comment is so lame, I don't even know where to start. "Some mould foam cores have too much air. With heat or altitude the gore-Tex breather on Eps (Epoxy) SUPS cannot gas out the air fast enough and side rail spits occur." Bueller.....
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:11:37 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal