Author Topic: Fin Recommendations for Unlimited Board  (Read 1775 times)

soleandpaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Fin Recommendations for Unlimited Board
« on: September 30, 2021, 02:42:17 PM »
Hi there -
Looking for some advice on what type of fin setup I should use. My custom King's unlimited board is about done and should be picking it up next week, super excited! It has a standard fin box and a center box for a tool-less FCS fin. I currently have a SIC 8.3" weedless fin and a Futures Triangle (small). I'm not sure if either of these would be good choices for it on the standard fin box, what do you all think? I don't have a FCS tool-less fin for the center box and would be looking for a ventral fin for that. Any recommendations? I'm pretty certain I'll want to have both fins for the board.

Thanks for your time!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fin Recommendations for Unlimited Board
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 05:09:52 PM »
Awesome... Another unlimited brother. We are a rare bunch. I've probably seen 75% of the unlimiteds that exist in the world in person. I know most of the shapers too. I've paddled a few of Dave's. He knows how to shape unlimiteds. As far as the fins on unlimiteds go, I think you'll notice very little difference between fins. Try paddling it a short ways with no fin. Then put a small fin in and then a big fin. That's a good way to show you the direct effect of different fins. I have a bunch of different fins I use on my unlimited(s). If I paddle somewhere where there is lake weed or lots kelp, then I have fins for those situations. One of my older unlimiteds (that I no longer have) had a keel fin centered. It worked great in quartered wind, but one broke off while I was paddling it in some rough ocean conditions. That keel takes a lot of force. The unlimiteds I have now don't have center keel boxes. On my 14' boards I notice the difference between fins more. The 14' boards move around more and I feel how the fin is reacting more. And there's the wave riding factor on a 14' board. Even more effect on the fin.
Oh yah... About Dave telling you it's almost done???  ::)  I can guarantee you that when Dave finishes it, it will be done  ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

soleandpaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 11:24:55 AM »
Heck yeah! I'll post some pictures when I get it. Rhonda said it's done but just needs to painted and felt pretty confident that it would be ready. I'm going to call and check up to see next week but I'll temper my expectations just in case.

Thanks for the advice on fins. I do notice differences on my 14' with fin changes but it's also a SIC board. I wasn't aware that they may not make as big of a difference on an Unlimited. That's good to know, I'll have to play around and see, as you said. I'm a bit nervous I went too narrow with stability on the board but I have faith in Dave's shaping ability.

Either way, super excited to get it on the water!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 06:16:53 PM »
Just hung out and surfed with Dave & Rhonda today at SanO. It is Dave's birthday! There were cakes and donuts:) Dave said he has 8 unlimiteds he's building right now... Wow!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

soleandpaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 06:52:47 PM »
Hey, how cool is that! Wow, that's a lot of unlimited boards :O

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 09:36:21 AM »
Hey,

I have an unlimited Starboard 17’4” x 27.5 and notice quite a difference in fin size in side chop and quartering. The larger the fin, the harder i have to work to hold a bearing in conditions that are not lined up. Larger fins with more surface area typically have more hold, so it can be more work in challenging conditions. I have tried a bunch of fins and the same result. Larger gives a bit more stability but also more work in side on conditions. My board also dies not have a steering system.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard