Author Topic: Students in Alabama threw COVID contest parties  (Read 2922 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Students in Alabama threw COVID contest parties
« on: July 04, 2020, 07:18:18 AM »
Maybe I'm just a grumpy old dude.  I know we've all done stupid things in our younger years but somehow I really hope these kids do not succeed in life. They truly deserve to fail in life.
https://apnews.com/888ed17ac0e048ba8fdbe248e90cc877

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Students in Alabama threw COVID contest parties
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 08:29:05 AM »
They are in Alabama. Statistically that’s very likely. It’s also why stuff like this happens in the South. Bummer. I’ve watched folks from back home make bad choices for years.

My hope is that there can be minor consequences that redirect them before things are truly bad for them. That’s the most positive thing I can wish for when I see this stuff.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 09:00:46 AM »
"The University of Alabama issued a statement saying they have heard rumors of such parties and are working to educate students."  Which calls to question what the university's usual role is.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 09:46:21 AM »
Just made me spit my coffee

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 12:00:57 PM »
They should stick to butt chugging, sleeping with random strangers, drugs of all varieties, black out drunkenness, jumping off of roofs into pools, and eating tide pods. It is all much safer than a disease with a CFR of 0% for their age group.

I think most of the kids involved with this are just kids doing dumb stuff like they always do. surf4food hoping they all fail in life is a little harsh. I'm sure you were a great kid, but I was not a good kid in my teens and 20s. I did many things I regret, and was still able to make some good in this world, as many of those kids will do.
Make paddleboarding great again!

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 04:37:09 PM »

I think most of the kids involved with this are just kids doing dumb stuff like they always do. surf4food hoping they all fail in life is a little harsh. I'm sure you were a great kid, but I was not a good kid in my teens and 20s. I did many things I regret, and was still able to make some good in this world, as many of those kids will do.

Perhaps it is harsh and I was far from perfect, but intentionally catching a deadly disease just takes stupidity to an unfathomable new level.  I have lost a couple friends to this and have other friends who either have lost family members or have family members barely hanging on and suffering tremendously while hanging on. And I have others who have low immune systems who are terrified to step out of their house.  And regardless of the statistics you posted, many in their age group HAVE died are are just hanging on for dear life.  And whether or not these kids are in real danger, but thing is them passing it on to others.  Maybe wanting them to fail and suffer is morally wrong, but it's a major struggle for me to want otherwise but I'm trying. 

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 03:39:36 AM »
One of the many problems around Covid 19 info in the US is that folks believe that getting it, if you are young and healthy, is no big deal. Already, there are some very solid links between being Covid 19 positive and long-term neurological damage and lung damage.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 07:29:46 AM »
One of the many problems around Covid 19 info in the US is that folks believe that getting it, if you are young and healthy, is no big deal. Already, there are some very solid links between being Covid 19 positive and long-term neurological damage and lung damage.

Please share your very solid links.  Anyone relating Covid and Long-Term impact makes no sense given that the disease has only been in existence for 8 months (other than death of course). 

PS: I do NOT agree with these kids being morons and potentially killing grandma.  But I am in the Northeast US where people were dropping like flies.  Everyone wears masks.  One neighbor said "We were scared to death when 1,000's of people were dying right down the street."  e.g. NYC.  At the same time we know other people who have had Covid and were reluctant (shamed) to discuss having the disease.  Even more reluctant to say (a 50 year old man) "It was like a sinus infection and I didn't realize I had it until my wife tested positive 3 weeks later (also 50)"  This was early March.  They have 4 teenage kids and were all sheltering in place in Westchester County NY at home.  Everyone must have had it.   The kids didn't feel anything.   
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 07:32:10 AM by Beasho »

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 04:32:31 AM »
Please share your very solid links.  Anyone relating Covid and Long-Term impact makes no sense given that the disease has only been in existence for 8 months (other than death of course). 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/08/warning-of-serious-brain-disorders-in-people-with-mild-covid-symptoms

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 05:15:42 AM »
From the article:

"Neurologists are on Wednesday publishing details of more than 40 UK Covid-19 patients whose complications ranged from brain inflammation and delirium to nerve damage and stroke. In some cases, the neurological problem was the patient’s first and main symptom.

The cases, published in the journal Brain, revealed a rise in a life-threatening condition called acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (Adem), as the first wave of infections swept through Britain. At UCL’s Institute of Neurology, Adem cases rose from one a month before the pandemic to two or three per week in April and May. One woman, who was 59, died of the complication.

A dozen patients had inflammation of the central nervous system, 10 had brain disease with delirium or psychosis, eight had strokes and a further eight had peripheral nerve problems. .  there could be subtle effects on the brain and slowly things happen over the coming years, but it’s far too early for us to judge now,” Zandi said.
"

The total of 30 potential cases divided by 40,000 Covid cases referenced.  Or a 1 in 1,363 chance of possibly getting these conditions AFTER you get Covid.  All people cited in this article were over the age of 47.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 05:22:32 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 05:37:38 AM »
Whenever an article attempts to highlight an outlier with Covid-19 it reinforces the main point: This disease kills those that are immune compromised or obese - often correlated with age.  OR - Those that are randomly pre-disposed genetically to the disease (this is called nature a theory postulated by Chucky Darwin).

Here is another article highlighting the same point and correlating it with age.  From yesterday's CBS Marketwatch.  Death rate below the age of 45 is barely visible on the chart.  Kids wouldn't be throwing parties if this was the Spanish flu.  This is what the kids have also learned.  Talk to any teenager or 20 something they are all a bit apathetic even the smarter ones.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-one-remarkable-difference-between-covid-19-and-the-1918-spanish-flu-2020-07-07?mod=home-page
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 05:40:43 AM by Beasho »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 07:53:19 AM »
Maybe the reason the students think there's no problem with covid is that they are watching our local FOX affiliate network news.

https://www.kusi.com/dr-scott-atlas-disputes-covid-19-fear-mongering-tactics-from-our-health-officials/

Dr. Scott Atlas disputes COVID-19 fear mongering tactics from our health officials

SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – As coronavirus cases continue to increase across the United States, health officials and Democrat politicians seem to be using that statistic to fear monger and justify closure orders.

Dr. Scott Atlas of the Hoover Institute, discussed why we don’t need to be scared of the increase spread of coronavirus on Good Morning San Diego with KUSI’s Paul Rudy.

Atlas said that he has done more than a superficial analysis of the numbers, and after analyzing them, he doesn’t get scared.

Explaining, “When you look all over at the states who are seeing a lot of new cases, you have to look at who is getting infected because we should know by now, that the goal is not to eliminate all cases, that’s not rational, it’s not necessary, if we just protect the people who are going to have serious complications. We look at the cases, yes there’s a lot more cases, by the way they do not correlate in a time sense to any kind of reopening of states. If you look at the timing, that’s just a misstatement, a false narrative. The reality is they may correlate to the new protests and massive demonstrations, but it’s safe to say the majority of new cases are among younger, healthier people.”

Furthermore, Dr. Atlas emphasized the fact that the death rates are not going up, despite the increase in cases. “And that’s what really counts, are we getting people who are really sick and dying, and we’re not, and when we look at the hospitalizations, yes, hospitals are more crowded, but that’s mainly due to the re-installation of medical care for non COVID-19 patients.”

Dr. Atlas used Texas of an example saying, “90+% of ICU beds are occupied, but only 15% are COVID patients. 85% of the occupied beds are not COVID patients. I think we have to look at the data and be aware that it doesn’t matter if younger, healthier people get infected, I don’t know how often that has to be said, they have nearly zero risk of a problem from this. The only thing that counts are the older, more vulnerable people getting infected. And there’s no evidence that they really are.”

Dr. Atlas then pointed out the hospitalization length of stay is about half of what it once was.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 09:43:03 AM »
I have a daughter that is going to be a senior this year. She is a smart kid, and would no sooner watch the news than fly to the moon on a bar of soap. Neither would any of her friends. A 10 second google search tells them what they need to know.

She realizes the danger of CV for people her age is low/nil and I know exactly what I told her when she asked about it. "Do you drive after midnight? (answers yes), "Do you paddle out in 4' waves" (answers yes). "Those things are a million times more dangerous for you and scare your Mom far more than CV."

Make paddleboarding great again!

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM