Author Topic: WIDTH  (Read 4149 times)

mattress {NZ}

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
WIDTH
« on: October 07, 2007, 12:20:48 AM »
Hi ya  from Kaikoura in South Island of New Zealand stoked to find this site !!                                                                                  After hearing and seeing a few things in the surf mags {negative and positive} about this SUP ive decided to give it a shot. Have hooked up with the local shaper whos amped on the idea.  we think we have a gasp on making one each but he thinks 26inches could be wide enough on say a 10 ft x 4 1/4 to 4 1/2    we are both 5 9' 75kgs  {thats 165 pounds to you yanks cheers mr goggle...} and of good ability{me} to shithot {him}   on the surfing front both mal and shortboard .                         I am getting an old shitheap of a windsurfer just to get a feel for float and flow and have the  local guru who makes beautiful wooden furniture to make a paddle     so im up for any info !!   

Andy

• Waikiki Status
  • www.Air-head.com
    • View Profile
Re: WIDTH
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 12:55:41 AM »
Hey Mattress,

good to see SUP is hitting NZ.... my advice and I am no shaper, is dont go to short or to narrow for your first board it will just make it tippy and bloody hard to stand on..... 10ft to 10.9ft and not much shorter and around 39" wide but dont forget the volume as it should be thicker than your average longboard...

This is my advice from what I have riden here in the UK I am sure there is better advice from the Maui crew.

The one thing I am sure of is that you will love it.

Ride safe

Andy

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 05:53:53 AM »
Andy, did you mean 30" wide, 39" wide is REALLY wide! Mattress my first board was 11'11" by 29.5" by about 4.5" thick- it's called Big REd you can google sean ordonez shapes to see it (or check board reviews). I'm 5'10" 210lbs, you'll eventually want to go much shorter (I'm on a 10' long board now- other guys are going much shorter) and narrower- my limit for comfortableness on width is 28" again others are going narrower, I'm just speaking to my abilities and conditions (I want to paddle in chop- and if I remember NZ, I spent 3 months driving around in a CNG Triumph- you'll be facing some chop).

Many of these guys started on what they had available at the time which was a Mickey Munoz Ultraglide- it was 26" wide, I rode one once- it was doable but you had to work at it and I think it'd be a bit to think about in any chop- but I'm larger then you. The thing did surf really well.

The deal here is to start on something that doesn't wreck you for paddling after a couple of go outs- a board that's a bit wider will provide a good measure of success and board time for you to work on your stroke, turns in the lineup, and turns when surfing- you'll progress faster then if you were just working on balance. I always tell guys around here to start on something at least 29" wide- those guys seem to learn faster then those who pickup boards 28" wide and narrower.

Also, it'll look huge on land when it's all shaped out, don't worry- water has this special effect on paddleboards- once they hit the water they get really small. Wait 'til you stand on your first one, you'll see what I mean!

www.paddlesurf.net

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 07:21:46 AM »
I think a 10footer would work sweet to start on.  i would recommend a 10x28x4.25 for your size.  ANd this is for surfing.  For cruising I would go a foot longer and 1 inch narrower/max.

SUP-G
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

Dooner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 09:39:26 AM »
Hi mattress,

Some good advice here, you should also have your shaper check out some of the board design discussions. I think one of the biggest mistakes surfboard shapers without SUP experience make is to shape an oversize longboard, especially using vee/rolled bottoms and super soft rails.

I'm 90 kg/6'0" & started on a 9'8" X 28" X 4.25" without much trouble. I would definitely go wider than 26", 27.5" at least.

When I was starting, I swapped with my friend who rides a 12" x 26" softtop a couple of times. The ONLY thing that the 12'er did more easily than my 9'8" was paddle in a straight line (due to the 9 or 10" fin on it).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 09:46:52 AM by Dooner »

Andy

• Waikiki Status
  • www.Air-head.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 12:33:05 AM »
Sorry I must have had a blip..... I meant 29" wide.... hope you didnt build it to 39"  ;D

thanks for pointing that out

Andy

mattress {NZ}

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 02:36:59 AM »
cheers guys even more info for me to ponder on. It really seems from doing a bit of research that sizes seem to droping every month would love to get a bigger first board to learn on but with baby due in 2 weeks  im in the poorhouse for awhile. sooo while the missus has gifted me the one board ive have to think how i might want to be stand up surfing in the future and go a little shorter maybe around the mid nines and 28 wide x4 1/8 . I can stand up on my 9ft mal in flat water and one of my local breaks is a rincon type pointbreak so long ride=more turns=faster progression... so fingers crossed     .have old windsurfer arriving next week so will get a better idea after that what is required.   My shaper is still trying to source some foam big enough...         Hey paddlesurf 3mths in a triumph would have been a buzz luckily i live under some mountians so we are blessed with mostly glassy conditions cheers
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 03:01:53 AM by mattress {NZ} »

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 01:22:34 PM »
Does anybody ride 26' wide or less?

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 09:31:49 PM »
I started out and am STILL riding a NSP tandem longboard that is 11' x 25.74" x 4".
  Since it is the first and only SUP I ever rode I had nothing else to compare it with but am often asked how the heck do I stand up on that skinny thing! More like thick skin preservance on my part as I am the type to push myself until I excell in anything I try to do. LOTS of falling when I first started, even on flat water as any swell would knock me off balance. After building up some sea legs, ventured out to more open ocean and then into the surf. Each new arena was like starting all over again. Putting in the hours helped to get it down. I've been SUPping on it for a year now and I feel I've outgrown and pushed the board to my max potential on it: comfortable on choppy  overhead days, able to push layback cutbacks on it using paddle leverage, riding nose, etc.
However, I am giddy about reading and seeing those new surf dedicated SUP and am stepping up to buy a 10'. Will keep the 11' for cruising.
Aloha!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal