Author Topic: What paddle are you using and what do you like about it ?  (Read 2863 times)

Kip

What paddle are you using and what do you like about it ?
« on: July 03, 2020, 12:59:54 PM »
I'm just interested in hearing what others with more experience are using.

I originally bought a POP Ratchet which is adjustable carbon with a 90 sq inch blade, 25oz, and 10.5 degree angle. I still like to use it when I'm on my touring board, but since I'm able to paddle 5-6 days a week and moved to a 14' x 25" board I found myself wanting a fixed paddle.

I ended with the the Kialoa 'Ewalu which is fixed carbon with a 78 sq inch blade, 16oz, and 8 degree angle. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.

I really liked this sentence from Dave at Kialoa's when I ws asking about blade angle:

"In real world performance, a couple degrees of blade angle either direction is less important than what you had for lunch or a good night sleep."

Anyways, I'm just curious what you're currently paddling with, for what application, and why.

Cheers!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What paddle are you using and what do you like about it ?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 02:25:59 PM »
You are going down the rabbit hole kip  ;) You'll end up with 10 paddles by the time it's all said and done. Don't ask me how I know ;D
in progress...

Kip

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 03:52:16 PM »
You are going down the rabbit hole kip  ;) You'll end up with 10 paddles by the time it's all said and done. Don't ask me how I know ;D

It's too late, I CAN'T GET OUT! haha

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 04:10:18 PM »
KeNalu paddles are all I use nowadays. I started with the "Elite", but since I'm in the surf, and they get used and abused...I switched to the slightly less expensive xTuf paddles of various sizes, and couldn't be happier. I like the xTuf(S) shaft, and haven't had any shoulder, arm, or elbow issues with it.

I have a Werner bent shaft for my 14'er, and honestly like my shorter "surf" KeNalus when I happen to "forget" ;) to bring the Werner along with me. I thought I liked the bent shaft and oval grip of the Werner initially, but I'm just too lazy and not so technical or precise of a paddler than probably most here, so all I get is a wandering paddle stroke when I don't get the blade in perfectly...whereas the straight and round KeNalu shaft is just way more forgiving for my haphazard recreational type of "exercise" paddling with my 14'....when there's no surf.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 06:37:05 PM »
So I have a black project hydro 84, black project hydro 82 I use this for my dougout board. black project surge 84 for surfing, hippo stick blurr another surfing paddle. I

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 10:27:12 AM »
Currently I have an adjustable SIC Tao 90 inch blade (3-piece). I ended up going with a SIC paddle since I purchased my Air Glide directly from SIC. In retrospect, I wish I did a bit more homework. I'm glad I purchased an adjustable for my first blade; however, a little more research would have likely led me to a Chinook paddle.

Once I get my size dialed in I'm likely going to purchase a Braca-Sport Marlin. Still deciding on shaft stiffness but I'm currently leaning towards soft.
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 06:38:13 PM »
Love all my Hippo-Sticks, AL 8.0 longer for touring, Tripple G for racing which is shorter, and my Blur for sup surfing. The qb I won its a uv 88 and Im not a fan, although I do like the shaft, it has a texture to it that is great for slippery hands.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 06:42:44 PM by SouthCounty »
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 07:18:01 PM »
There are almost endless great paddles out there, and if anything they are even more personal than boards. I tried a lot of different ones in the early days. I'm biased of course but I haven't paddled anything but Kenalu in years. Elite Maliko 95 for surf and Konihi 94 for distance/flatwater. I like the full carbon shaft for surf for the instant response and the xTuf S for distance or I need to give my shoulders a break. Hot glue makes swapping components easy.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 07:46:04 PM »
There are almost endless great paddles out there, and if anything they are even more personal than boards. I tried a lot of different ones in the early days. I'm biased of course but I haven't paddled anything but Kenalu in years. Elite Maliko 95 for surf and Konihi 94 for distance/flatwater. I like the full carbon shaft for surf for the instant response and the xTuf S for distance or I need to give my shoulders a break. Hot glue makes swapping components easy.

What he said! I haven't tried many other paddles, mainly because I loved the softer feel of the xTufS shaft, the flexibility of swapping out blades and handles as needed, and the performance and fit with my paddling stroke of the Konihi blade when I tried these early on.

Kip

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 09:33:23 PM »
So many paddles and SO MUCH TO LEARN!
Although I'm not sure what it would take to get away from my Kialoa.
It feels so smooth and fast. And the 78 sq inches feels like a world of difference from the 90 sq inches on my previous padle.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM