Author Topic: What would be the best use for these fins ?  (Read 3089 times)

Kip

What would be the best use for these fins ?
« on: July 01, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »
Hey all! Pretty new to SUP and found these fins used for cheap. I've read a bunch on fin design, but there are so many options that I still find myself a little confused on what would be best on my Riviera 14 x 25. I paddle mostly inland lakes with a good amount of wind and occassionally out on the bay when we get a break in the wind. Usually a little "chop" due to wind conditions (for instance this morning was 8mph with 20mph gusts).

I scoured online for these, but haven't been able to find any info.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What would be the best use for these fins ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 06:31:26 PM »
Technically those 2 designs are open ocean Larry Allison fins. Both has the same surface area.
The teal fin is an evolution of the Red one (The Becker keel). It releases sooner and will have better maneuverability.

Based on your comments about board width I think either will be an overkill for you on flat water conditions on your 14x25.
If you must choose between the 2, the teal would be my choice. The Becker fin started to acting a little weird when I was pushing against current on high torque stroke. I felt a little tug right after the catch. I think that why it was discontinued.

If I had a choice I would go with a current evolution of these 2 which is the Larry Allison Dolphin Keel: https://www.paddlesurfwarehouse.com/dolphin-keel-fibre-glass-fin-co-larry-allison.html.html

For flat water I might even go with the 7" Stinger if the fin box is too far back on the board: https://www.paddlesurfwarehouse.com/stinger-fibre-glass-fin-co-larry-allison.html.html
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 06:41:20 PM by burchas »
in progress...

Kip

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 07:12:37 PM »
You’re a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for the response.
I tell ya, I thought I was confused by board designs... I sure as hell am more confused by fins 😂

Cheers,

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 11:03:43 AM »

I sure as hell am more confused by fins 😂

Me too---and I've been paddling for close to 10 yrs.  Fins do make a difference but it takes a lot of time and experience to notice (esp when you're big like me).  As you can spend a lot of $$, I would recommend using what you've got for awhile and then experiment.  Sometimes the differences are extremely subtle and you probably shouldn't develop an expectation that there's some fin you'll find that will suddenly turn your board into a rocket.  Great if it happens, but more than once I've dropped almost $200 on a fin only to realize I'm still slow.  Have fun!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 05:11:29 AM »
There is no need to be confused by fins: the principles underlying what they do and why are pretty simple. Its coming to terms with the shortcomings of your boards and yourself (including gullibility and false hope) that fins reveal that is the difficult part.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 05:42:20 AM »
'Harsh' - 10. Woooo, someone is in a bad mood.  (Of course - I have the RED one!)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 06:46:45 AM »
'Harsh' - 10. Woooo, someone is in a bad mood.  (Of course - I have the RED one!)

Jim
It wasn't meant as a criticism, merely a description of my own decades-long journey to discover what fins work for me.

Fins can and do make a big difference to the handling of a board. For instance the wrong fin for you and your board when downwinding can almost render the board unusable.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:50:55 AM by Area 10 »

Kip

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 12:03:26 PM »

Jim

Area 10,
You're obviously much smarter than me. Thanks for your input.

Jim,
Do you like it ???

Bulky,
Great advice! I was just thinking of picking up used fins for cheap when I find them until I figure out what works for me in the conditions around here. And of course, until my technique improves enough to notice a difference.

Cheers,

gcs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 04:44:13 PM »
Interesting you mention that stinger fin. I use one in my starboard free ride which has a fin box way back when it is calm it’s not quite enough for the rough stuff Or downwind at least for me.  Love la fins. 
Starboard Allstar 2019 14x28
Infinity Wide Aquatic 10 8
Yolo Original 10 6

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 05:42:40 PM »
Interesting you mention that stinger fin. I use one in my starboard free ride which has a fin box way back when it is calm it’s not quite enough for the rough stuff Or downwind at least for me.  Love la fins.

Stinger is a Flat water specific fin. Not indented for downwind or rough water conditions. The Spartan might be the ticket if you're struggling with stability in these conditions:
https://www.paddlesurfwarehouse.com/spartan-fibre-glass-fin-co-larry-allison.html.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:04:46 PM by burchas »
in progress...

gcs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »
Yes. Only use it for flat or minimal chop. I had a thresher that worked good in rough stuff but too long for the starboard box. Thinking the dolphin pivot or spartan would work if they fit.
Starboard Allstar 2019 14x28
Infinity Wide Aquatic 10 8
Yolo Original 10 6

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 05:00:37 PM »
Yes. Only use it for flat or minimal chop. I had a thresher that worked good in rough stuff but too long for the starboard box. Thinking the dolphin pivot or spartan would work if they fit.
I fitted my Spartan on a 2017 Starboard All-Star for a downwind run. Just sanded the edges a bit for a good insert angle and in it went.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 05:09:26 PM »
Spartan is nice on a big @ss board. Fast and rock solid.
On a low volume, small butt board, it is a little bit different.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 05:28:55 PM »

It depends. If you're looking for stability without too much depth for a board with a box at the back that's still going to perform DW there are not too many good choices out there.
The GTS could be a good option but will not offer as much stability in rough water. It's a good compromise if stability is priority imo. an 8" Bump would be very good but good luck finding that one :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 05:31:36 PM by burchas »
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »

It depends. If you're looking for stability without too much depth for a board with a box at the back that's still going to perform DW there are not too many good choices out there.
The GTS could be a good option but will not offer as much stability in rough water. It's a good compromise if stability is priority imo. an 8" Bump would be very good but good luck finding that one :)

I love the GTS. Best all-around fin. It is a sure value all across the type of use. Some fins might be "better" at a specific task/conditions but I will never go worng if I plug the GTS on one of my board.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal