Author Topic: Gunnar's wing reviews  (Read 3374 times)

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Gunnar's wing reviews
« on: July 01, 2020, 07:09:57 AM »
Here are the first two of Gunnar's wing reviews -- the Wasp and the Gong Plus.  Hopefully there are more to come.

Even though Gunnar is sponsored by Ozone I find these reviews to be pretty unbiased -- he points out the pluses and minuses of each wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkB7HDoEJ_c&t=10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To0KDv6zOO8&t=10s

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Gunnar's wing reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 02:06:33 PM »
Vu..  I like this guy.  He somewhat reminds me of Robert at BluePlanet in that he is a nice person and always adding good content to U-tube.  Other than his design gig with INDIANA, there seems no money to be made on 98% of the people who watch his input. (Buy a coffee - is a token but a good idea.)

I got the patch material out to pad my wing after watching this. I also made a 'coffin' bag - it's silly to spend the time to stuff it into a fancy, small backpack to carry it to/from the car?!  Rollup/slide-in/Zip - Done.

I didn't watch the GONG video.  They are either really not interested ..or unable to get a handle on exports.   I asked weeks ago about the anticipated cost of shipping a blowup board to the States.  No reply ..but, I did see it was something in the order of U$200+ to send one to OZ.  I think Patrice does a great job of running the frontend of his business.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 08:07:57 PM »
Agree with some of his review but I don't have a lot to compare to. Don't agree with his take on the high end of the wind range, I have the Gong Pulse 5M, same color even. The draft is more stable than my Naish S25, that's kind of an apples to oranges comparison though as the 3.6 gets used way overpowered mostly. I feel like the Gong luffs very predictably and doesn't push down on you when you sheet out to spill some excess. Really behaves like a rigid wing. It does take maybe a hair more babysitting than the 6M Swing Admin lent me one day. You just have to be mindful to lower your back hand when needed to get the wing moving upward.

Our wind is so gusty though, could probably sail it hooked in no hands in a sea breeze.

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 07:41:19 PM »
Great reviews, where was the Ozone video filmed??? Looks cool!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 07:03:13 AM »
Someone correct me but I think he’s in the Canary Islands.

Tenerife?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 10:02:08 AM »
Fuerteventura, the North end just outside of Corralejo.

Most of his videos are shot at Flag beach, the main kite launch.
Saw him out numerous times winging and sup foiling this past winter. In general, you don't see the locals out much in the winter months as the wind is only 10-20 and straight onshore most days making it a mess to get out. The handful of days it blew 25+ and sideshore showed the real potential of summer, a lot of locals out but the crowd can easily spread out. Big rolling ocean swell and breaking surf if you want it.
For a number of more practical reasons, not so much for the conditions, I'd go again. It's cheap, friendly, and convenient for my German GF. Not tropical but it hits 75 most days. Will probably try Tenerife next time though for the variety of terrain.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 02:07:14 PM »
Agree with some of his review but I don't have a lot to compare to. Don't agree with his take on the high end of the wind range, I have the Gong Pulse 5M, same color even. The draft is more stable than my Naish S25, that's kind of an apples to oranges comparison though as the 3.6 gets used way overpowered mostly. I feel like the Gong luffs very predictably and doesn't push down on you when you sheet out to spill some excess. Really behaves like a rigid wing. It does take maybe a hair more babysitting than the 6M Swing Admin lent me one day. You just have to be mindful to lower your back hand when needed to get the wing moving upward.

Our wind is so gusty though, could probably sail it hooked in no hands in a sea breeze.

I agree with you, especially on not really understanding his comments on the Pulse high end, but I don't have the experience of other wings to compare either apart from the Plus Ltd, which is a bit easier to handle, but Gong say as much on their website.

I'm using mine hooked in and I've found when I'm really over powered, in a gust, trucking upwind it settles into a really nice balanced mode where the centre of effort moves into a really sweet spot - perhaps just where I've got the harness lines set.

I normally ride in really gusty conditions so have used it plenty at it's top end, and I would say you need a harness to get the most out of it, but wouldn't say the top end has a different character to the bottom. It's a powerful, stiff wing, which perhaps doesn't suit gusty conditions, but the design characteristics are openly declared on the website.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 09:47:30 AM »
I like his explanation of the advantages of wings over other wind craft:
https://youtu.be/nxz5NDXoC_0
I am curious to hear if he ever tries the new BRM wings.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal