Author Topic: epoxy  (Read 4024 times)

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
epoxy
« on: June 30, 2020, 11:57:40 AM »
so I have been using wahoo epoxy for a long time, I just got use to using and stuck with it. not the best stuff out there and it is over priced. But now I am over it and need to buy something different. what brand of epoxy does everyone like to use.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: epoxy
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 12:36:47 PM »
Shipping cost is high, so choice comes down to what you can buy local.

For me, it’s Old No7 from Greenroom and Resin Research.

I know a guy who had issues with Entropy. Skin issues.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 03:53:19 PM »
This is what I use, and most of the glasser's in the surf getto use. You want the UV inhibitor.

https://www.foamez.com/product/resin-research-epoxy-quart/

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 04:53:58 PM »
I'm a Resin Research 2000 fan, though I use what I can get. I've got a gallon of Pro Glass I'm working through that I won't try again. The viscosity is high and the slightest drop in temperature turns it to paste. That said, as soon as I warm it up it's fine and its worked even when I screwed up the ratios a little.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 07:30:57 PM »
I used Fiberglass Hawaii aluzine and had so so results. I started with RR.

Last few boards I’ve ised this and love it. Seems very close to RR and works great. Hot coats are perfect with a little dose of additive F.

Also, price is really unbeatable if you’re on the west coast. Currently $88 for 1.5 gallon kit.

https://fiberglasssource.com/collections/epoxy-resin/products/apex-surfboard-epoxy-resin-1-5-gallon-kit-1

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 08:41:20 PM »
I've been using west systems 105/206 because that's what I used forever working on boats.  I know very little about making surfboards - what's everyone's opinion on this epoxy?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 09:49:34 PM »
It's good stuff. I have a few gallons of West in Maui. I like the pump proportioning equipment, though the pumps need a priming bypass that doesn't waste resin or hardener unless you go through a bunch of acrobatics. The resin itself seems good. I don't think it sands very well unless you bake the parts a while to get every bit polymerized. RR is a lot more forgiving in that regard.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 06:02:14 AM »
I have tried:
AdTech ProBuild-available locally during the week, no brighteners, got me hooked on epoxy.
Resin Research Kwik Kick-broad user base and email/online info, easy to order and use, haven't ordered recently.
Greenroom Old No. 7-Came recommended by a kick-ass glasser, easiest to use, no need for Add F. Good email/phone tech support, haven't ordered recently.
CPD 4245-least expensive @ 7.5 gal minimum, slower cure, no brighteners. Locally made, same company as MAS/Endurance.

I am down to about a pint of each RR,GR, and CPD and nothing newer than 3 years old. Did some repairs with GR and lams on the 9-footer with CPD and was pleased. I learned how to de-crystallize the raw resin components if they stiffen up. Buddy says I can mix and match since they are all 2R:1H by volume.  I considered doing a test panel for wear and UV resistance for them but then get tripped up by methods and materials and the fact that I should try some West and a couple others to balance out board vs boat style epoxies. I mostly measure by weight 100R:43-45H per mfgr's formula.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 06:09:15 AM by jrandy »
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 08:10:08 AM »
I first used Tap plastics marine grade epoxy (fast) (20 years ago). 
Plus: Had a local store, it is strong, easy to work with
Minus: can only use in warm weather, turns amber with time, not good for hot coats, no uv protection.

Then I tried West System epoxy resin from West Marine (fast) (10 years ago).
Plus: Had a local store, it is strong, easy to work with
Minus: can only use in warm weather, turns yellow with time, not good for hot coats, no uv protection

I have already decided that my next purchase will be Resin Research (that is what L41 uses) because of the uv protection.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:12:59 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 07:37:34 PM »
So I am looking at buying Resin Research 2000. Just for the quart kit with shipping is $120.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 09:19:23 PM »
So I am looking at buying Resin Research 2000. Just for the quart kit with shipping is $120.

That seems a little high for a quart kit unless it is being shipped globally. Going back to DW's comments about buying locally when possible. What is your location?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:22:15 PM by jrandy »
Be safe, have fun. -J

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 09:35:32 PM »
Sean,
Try calling Basham's Factory and Surf Shop.  (949) 361-2203  They sell RR CE. They have a 55 gal drum of that and the hardener. They package them in generic bottles. They can probably ship directly to you. They still answer the phone.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 07:45:17 AM »

That seems a little high for a quart kit unless it is being shipped globally. Going back to DW's comments about buying locally when possible. What is your location?

I am in Sacramento CA

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 09:27:45 AM »
I am in Sacramento CA

I am in the Midwest. I forget that all of California is not south, on the coast, or a stones's throw from a surf shop...but then again neither am I.
Seems like you should be able to get a three quart kit shipped for 100-110 and 1.5 gallons for a little more or do the Apex deal the Cowboy mentioned.
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 11:30:45 PM »
The apex is nice. No complaints.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal