Author Topic: Forecastmeister  (Read 3168 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Forecastmeister
« on: June 28, 2020, 02:20:25 PM »
My career as a wind forecaster is over before it really got started. Today is NOT a 6M wing day, the breezes are not a gentle 18 mph zephyr. More like 30 gusting to the mid 40's. I went out on my 3.5M, which feels dinky unless it's being ripped out of your hands. I was actually having fun in the maelstrom, it's only when the wind is cranking that we fat guys get to play with smaller toys. Unfortunately, my 3.5 wing started coming apart a little with all the flapping and strain. I fixed it with some kite tape and did another short session, but it actually got stronger and my repairs were coming off, so I did two more passes and quit.

Maybe it will back off a bit in the afternoon. Next week is supposed to be insane.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Forecastmeister
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 05:43:06 PM »
After 2 days of overpowered 2.8 I was looking forward to the 18-22 that you had promised.  Whew!  That was outrageous.  I rigged 3.5 and it was 3.5 for me for exactly 1 minute of an hour and a half session.  I thought I was rigging to be lightly powered but man, was I maxed out.  I thought about going in for the 2.8 but wasn't up for timing it between those guys kite looping the entire length of the launch (unreal spectating from the water).  Really fun, but edge of destruction fun.  My wing leash almost took off one of my ears.  That's new. 

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 06:38:16 PM »
Really fun, but edge of destruction fun.  My wing leash almost took off one of my ears.  That's new.

I thought today was supposed to be the light day, I had enough destruction yesterday and stayed home...

What hurts most is the big toe of my right foot from 20 knee starts over the course of Viento to HR, new record ;D The smaller board has mainly just made pitch control a lot more challenging. The ultra short fuse was fine with the 6'11, the 5'10 makes it so much trickier. Had my longest glides though by a wide margin so can't complain given the conditions. It would just be nice to have 20-30, I assume that should be ideal for downwinding with a 3.6.

Tomorrow's supposed to be another nuker :o we'll probably get that 18-22 from today.

Btw, it's nuking from Cape Blanco south to the bay area at the moment as well.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 09:52:20 PM »
I actually had fun, it's nice to feel like you can actually manage that kind of insanity, but I really should be wearing a helmet when it's like that. It would be so easy to fuck that up--I was one moment of inattention away from disaster all morning. I had my 101 pushed to the outer edge today. It was making a weird humming sound and suddenly felt like it hit something. I don't think it did, I didn't fall, I think it just got all weird, I've never felt that before. I was actually catching one of the guys that were blasting on a kite. Those two guys on the lunch tray foil boards are SO fast.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 01:51:56 AM »
Tomorrow's supposed to be another nuker :o we'll probably get that 18-22 from today.

I don't know.  It has been howling all night up here.  I think we are in for another meltdown.  Check out this discussion on the current (still at 320).  http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34859&sid=f7f5142254045327d40ca421fe80ba2b

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 08:52:40 AM »
Yeah, it's smoke on the water this morning. I'm going to see if I can buy a 2.8.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 09:34:55 AM »
Curious how much difference a 2.8 will make, it's hard to envision what might be small enough. My body seems to be about the right surface area for downwind. Maybe one of those base jumping squirrel suits, just spread your arms to make it over that bump... 
Wasn't Kai Lenny using a giant inflatable carrot strapped to his back?

Pace yourselves gentlemen, it looks like a long week ahead :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 05:19:11 PM »
I got a 2.8 Naish, but it's so different from the F-One that it didn't help at all, I couldn't control it well. Plenty of power, but it doesn't seem to have the stability of the F-one, or at least when it was seriously powered up it certainly seemed hard to control. I went back to my 3.5M F-one and it was a lot calmer, though definitely overpowered. Base wind was into the low 40's, and the gusts certainly felt like 50+. It was fun in a nutty way, and it's nice to know I can handle Victory At Sea kind of conditions. But there's nothing restful about that. I probably should have done a downwinder, but the gusts and lulls seemed a bit extreme.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 04:30:31 AM »
That one was massive.  What is it this week? It isn't just windy as hell, it is an angry wind.  I feel bad for putting our 2.8 through this.  There is really no position to relax in 90% of the time, the abrupt edges to those pissed off gusts are blasting and sucking me all over the place.  It is full focus just to keep the wing driving forward.  Those gusts want so badly to suck it up and back over my head...on a 2.8.  But, then there are those rare minutes when it lets up and smooths out enough to ride swell and all is good in the world. 

I am sticking with my original recipe:

2 parts Adrenaline
1 part Fun
Garnish with Abuse

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 10:21:51 AM »
Yesterday it looked like today was going to be a bit more rational, but this morning not so much. From the updated forecasts it looks like a slightly kinder version of yesterday. Might be a good day to work on the wiring of Fritz. I'm going to hold out for later in the afternoon to give things a chance to settle. Angry is the right word for yesterday. It's wasn't just the extreme power of the gusts, it was the yanking the wing around in every direction. The worst was the lulls, which started to feel like a setup for getting blown off the board--especially if you were foolish enough to look windward and see what was bearing down on you.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 02:33:10 AM »
The week of madness took a turn towards more normal Gorge summer winds yesterday.  Steady 20 to 30 was a welcomed change.  Powered 4.2 feels so relaxing after a week of maxed out 2.8.  Man, do those little wings get nervous in blasty conditions.  Chan is loving her new Axis 96 mast.  Now she is getting high with Bill and I.  It looks so cool to see her ripping around on her little board so high up :).  There had to be 15 wings out yesterday at the stretch we were using, including 3 women and one mighty little grom that was absolutely shredding on a little kiteboard (possibly a tiny custom wing board). 

This is exploding here now.  Tons of new faces and a really cool vibe.  Lots of hooting and stoke on the water.  The level of interest from people who are net yet on it is super high as well.  There is an informal Q and A before and after every session.  A new group of people can see themselves in this aspect of foiling where kiting may seem too involved or dangerous.

Here is a vid and some pics (all Facebook grabs) of some of the big days from this week. Nothing wrong with that swell.

https://www.facebook.com/temira/videos/10160138265313102

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 03:01:10 AM by Admin »

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 09:05:04 PM »
Awesome footage Admin, I'm looking forward to getting back out tomorrow, took today off for a phys therapy appointment that just cut the day in half (this sport is killing me...)

Finally did the Blalock canyon to Arlington downwinder yesterday, never done it before on any craft. Looks pretty much like your video the whole way. Had no idea the launch was so convoluted so consider yourselves warned. Totally doable with a wing, just have to sit on your board foil up for a short downwind through a milfoil infested pond, then paddle through a 70' tunnel. No weeds though once out to the river. I'd do it again though :o best downwind run yet. Considerably more consistent wind and waves the whole way compared to a Viento run. Got my crash rate down to once per mile :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 10:47:02 AM »
Blalock to Arlington is my favorite run, though in big wind it can be insane, and there's no place to get out before Arlington that doesn't leave you with a major league "how do I get my board out of here" challenge. After the Goodnoe bend there's no curve in the river that kills the swell, so it just keeps getting bigger. I hear that when the gradient is sufficient to keep the wind speed high that Arlington to Boardman run makes Blaylock look like flat water. But it's a rare condition and I've never done it.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 07:55:56 PM »
Blalock to Arlington is my favorite run, though in big wind it can be insane, and there's no place to get out before Arlington that doesn't leave you with a major league "how do I get my board out of here" challenge. After the Goodnoe bend there's no curve in the river that kills the swell, so it just keeps getting bigger. I hear that when the gradient is sufficient to keep the wind speed high that Arlington to Boardman run makes Blaylock look like flat water. But it's a rare condition and I've never done it.

That stretch is a different world, feels much more like long period ocean waves. It's probably better to set up the shuttle on the WA. side, easier rescue. The wind is just more predictable out there so baring equipment failure it would be a rare day to have to swim out. There were many cars at the boat ramp at Roosevelt (maybe that's native access?), no life at the park still it appears.

Could definitely see extending that out to 3 mile canyon, it's another 13 miles though.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2020, 02:07:33 AM »
Could definitely see extending that out to 3 mile canyon, it's another 13 miles though.

Three Mile will be an amazing location for winging.  That one swell site that sits off the marker gets so huge - long, wide and smooth.  Dreams are made right there. 

I did a super fun up and down to the Hatchery from Event center (and then another partial) in the AM in really good 4.2 conditions.  It is hard do believe that it is 2.25 miles straight upriver.  Man can you cover some territory on these things.  I wanted my 106 cm mast :).  With this current, some areas of that stretch are mogul fields going upwind.  The grom who has been shredding up the event site is using a 101.  That looks great to me.  I am pretty sure that I two pieced a salmon near the bridge.  The impact had a very fishy feel.  I did a triple Lindy.  I am feeling that one this morning.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 02:46:22 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal