Author Topic: Where did all the bikes go?  (Read 4372 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Where did all the bikes go?
« on: June 27, 2020, 12:59:41 PM »
Last Fall I broke my bike frame pulled my derailleur into my back wheel. That bike was 18 years old and had had the forks broken twice by me. So I thought this year I'd get myself a new or newer mountain bike. Not an e-MTB, just standard human power. A hard tail .. 29r. WELL... good luck with that!

ALMOST ALL THE BIKES IN THE US ARE SOLD OUT! I'm not kidding. I need an XL frame. None! Not Amazon, Dick's, or any bike stores. I found a full suspension carbon XL for $9,000. I'll let someone else have that one. Next shipments due Sept or January. Probably won't make it for X-mas. I have two friends who own bike shops. They are doing trade-ins, because that's the only thing they can get. Their racks are empty. Just bike repairs from here on out. Christmas is going to suck for them if they don't get something in stock.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/nyregion/bike-shortage-coronavirus.html

This was part of my futile search yesterday..

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Where did all the bikes go?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 02:27:24 PM »
My current beach bike is going on 16 months since I paid $20 for it at Goodwill. A few miles on the beach daily with my dog. I figured it was time to get a replacement lined up a few months ago. Goodwill had a Schwinn MTB  they wanted $50 for that I should have jumped on but didn’t. I went back a week later and they had a single speed unknown brand for $100.  I was in 2 Walmart’s and a Target last week and the closest thing to an adult bike was a 24” MTB. I did manage to score a pump.

There’s no mystery around here where they went. The roads are full of bikes, all day, everyday.

Funny but in the beginning of the lockdown when people were releasing their inner Marie Kondo’s, there were plenty bikes at Goodwill and by the roadside for the taking.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 02:49:00 PM »
It's funny how CL is jam packed with 'Top of the line' used MTB's for more than retail? Some are old and beat mechanically (10 yrs old) yet they are asking $3k. For 26" rims. I'll wait till next year and get a brand new Trek 29'r hard tail for $1,000.
It's not overhead to me!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 06:06:21 PM »
Synchronicity is interesting. Moved South. Sand is very hard here. Let's get a fatty. Closeout. Took forever. Boom!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 08:05:53 PM »
On another note, I've never seen so many crappy SUPs in Hood River. It used to be every other car had a SIC 14' Bullet--the black and white one was as common as belly buttons. Now it's fat inflatables and things they bought at some big box store. WTF??
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 05:25:32 AM »
SUPs too are a seller’s market.

Costco has no SUPs, never had the 9’6 Wavestorm, no inflatables, not even inflatable kayaks. Plenty 8’ Wavestorms and body boards. I see lots of foamies in the water, usually sold without the tip to wax the bejesus out of ‘em.

I ran across a couple w inflatables atop their SUV outside a closed sporting goods store looking to buy a paddle.  Spoke with anothrrr newb on an inflatable in the waves yesterday.  He bought his on Amazon, came w a paddle but of course he had it backwards.  He tended to porkulence so I told him how I went down a pants size after my first 30 days of daily paddling.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 02:07:05 PM »
Last Fall I broke my bike frame pulled my derailleur into my back wheel. That bike was 18 years old and had had the forks broken twice by me. So I thought this year I'd get myself a new or newer mountain bike. Not an e-MTB, just standard human power. A hard tail .. 29r. WELL... good luck with that!

ALMOST ALL THE BIKES IN THE US ARE SOLD OUT! I'm not kidding. I need an XL frame. None! Not Amazon, Dick's, or any bike stores. I found a full suspension carbon XL for $9,000. I'll let someone else have that one. Next shipments due Sept or January. Probably won't make it for X-mas. I have two friends who own bike shops. They are doing trade-ins, because that's the only thing they can get. Their racks are empty. Just bike repairs from here on out. Christmas is going to suck for them if they don't get something in stock.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/nyregion/bike-shortage-coronavirus.html

This was part of my futile search yesterday..

Fellow bike rider and tall person here...

I ride an XXL Santa Cruz, I know that's not in your budget, but for perspective, SC makes some of the largest off-the-shelf bikes on the market.

As far as used goes, yes, the market sucks right now.

Take a look at the buy/sell forum on Pinkbike.com
Taller than most, shorter than others.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 04:24:31 PM »
I ended up finding one last minute on CL. It's perfect for what I need in a MTB. It's a Trek Marlin 29'r 'XL'. $700. The derailleur needed some adjusting, but hydraulic brakes work perfect. The geometry is the best I've ever ridden. The wheel base is just about 2 1/2" longer that my wife's medium frame 29'r. I hate XXL bikes that are just taller frames with the same wheel base like my old MTB.  I'm not going to single track like I used to, so this fits as far as durability. Just got back from Tahoe and rode it a lot. Did some easy single tracks.
It's not overhead to me!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 10:00:36 PM »
Nie rice, just needs a motor.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 04:13:53 AM »
"ALMOST ALL THE BIKES IN THE US ARE SOLD OUT! I'm not kidding. "

Yup, lockdown created a glut of cash cuz people were not spending money on:
Eating out, movies, travel, gas, public transportation, tolls, parking lot fees, vacations....

There was a sudden need for solo outdoor activity:

So... people bought hard goods like Bikes and Paddleboards
Very cool to see renewed. interest in our sport!!!

I'm also glad I bought my Specialized Roll Sport last summer... love this casual rider, so smooth it's like riding butter  ;D
Decked it out with necessities for old shoulders and back, like extended height on handlebars for more upright peddling.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 01:39:09 PM »
Our close friends have four eMTB's. Top of the line. My wife rides them with our friends in the hills at least once a week. One of these days I'll buy my wife and I some eBikes, but for now she gets to ride TOL for free. I still like to bunny hop and hit berms on a trail, so I don't want that added motor/battery weight.

I still picture myself doing this and attempt it when the opportunity presents itself:)  (Escape Country Motorcycle Park / BMX track 1973, now Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca.)
It's not overhead to me!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 01:41:57 PM »
"ALMOST ALL THE BIKES IN THE US ARE SOLD OUT! I'm not kidding. "

Yup, lockdown created a glut of cash cuz people were not spending money on:
Eating out, movies, travel, gas, public transportation, tolls, parking lot fees, vacations....

There was a sudden need for solo outdoor activity:

So... people bought hard goods like Bikes and Paddleboards
Very cool to see renewed. interest in our sport!!!

I'm also glad I bought my Specialized Roll Sport last summer... love this casual rider, so smooth it's like riding butter  ;D
Decked it out with necessities for old shoulders and back, like extended height on handlebars for more upright peddling.
That bike is you Creek! Semi-Cruise but still gets you to the bluff edge to check the surf.
It's not overhead to me!

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 07:12:17 PM »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 07:54:40 PM »
I still picture myself doing this and attempt it when the opportunity presents itself:)  (Escape Country Motorcycle Park / BMX track 1973, now Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca.)

I remember that place.  I raced a couple times on a Sears knockoff of a Stingray converted to a BMXer. I also recall a hang gliding competition that aired on Wild World Of Sports.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:56:20 PM by surf4food »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 08:52:17 PM »

I remember that place.  I raced a couple times on a Sears knockoff of a Stingray converted to a BMXer.
I may have you on film then. My uncle filmed a bunch of races there. I was on a Schwinn bike racing team. My uncle filmed all the team riders in different age groups. A couple of different weekends too. I just converted all his old 8mm film to digital. Classic stuff. I'm 57 , so we may have raced each other? I'll have to edit the film down and post it of YouTube.
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal