Author Topic: Let's talk fins  (Read 2509 times)

safetyboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Let's talk fins
« on: June 26, 2020, 07:46:23 AM »
Photo below is the fin that I have on my new board right now.  I wonder if there is something better out there for me.

Mostly I am paddling flat water on inland lakes, sometimes into light chop, but almost never surfing.

My priority is speed and glide.  12.5' x 26" , ~265 L volume.  Will I notice a difference if I switch to something else?  What should I switch to?

Love to hear some recommendations.

- Thanks, Kevin   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk fins
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 08:50:44 AM »
Standard dolphin design is always a good fin, after all, dolphins "designed" it and they absolutely kick ass in the water. But a design that moves more of the area to the tip will resist the sideways torque of your paddle stroke a bit better. Dolphins do all their paddling well behind the fin, and apply force directly on the centerline. They don't need to worry about torque.

I like Larry Allison's fin designs a lot. But the only way you'll know what's best for you is to try one.

There may be other opinions on this. I think fin opinions are right up there with "what oil works best in my 2002 GS1150 BMW" suggestions--like belly buttons, everyone has one.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:52:59 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 08:33:24 PM »
I have a few expensive carbon fins for my downwind board. I found that the fin that works best in the board is a cheap honeycomb/fiberglass version of what you have there. It also surfs the best on the race board  :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 09:57:43 PM »
I have a "magic" Fiberglass Hawaii dolphin fin that I got for a few bucks in the remnants bin at a Maui surf shop. It's my favorite big board surfing fin. I think I paid eight bucks for it. Giampaolo saw it and immediately wanted it, even though it's scuffed up and crappy looking. It doesn't look special, but it's sort of a legendary thing I guess.

Dolphins are great for surfing, but there are other shapes I like better for downwind or flat water paddling. the venerable squirrel shape is particularly good for downwind, where you need both directional authority and turning ability. Sort of the predecessor of the Aerocore fin.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 07:54:42 PM »
I would second the Larry Allison fins. specifically this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Larry-Allison-Hybrid-Race-Touring/dp/B07NF9BZHS/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=larry+allison+fin&qid=1593614997&sr=8-1

Larry was pushing it specifically for the 12.6 race boards at the times they were still popular. I had this specific one. Pretty durable and the price is right
in progress...

Skate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 07:50:52 AM »
I would look at a Larry Allison jr dolphin, or a Black project tiger fin.

safetyboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »
Sorry if I am slow here... land-bound Ohio person here, not much surf shops in this area...

You are not slow, that base in the photo is a "click-it" base but I'm pretty sure the current versions comes with a traditional screw and plate that would fit your fin box.
in progress...

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 02:37:19 AM »

Sorry if I am slow here... land-bound Ohio person here, not much surf shops in this area...

Nalu Stand Up Paddle & Surf
Here's a link to the Google search, cuz it has their address
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nalu+sup+shop&oq=Nalu+sup+shop&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.6120j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Click website to see the goods.... good people, who do a lot of group paddling. Give them a shout if you are ever near Cleveland.
Say hi to my friend Steph, a rabid paddler and really stoked SUPster!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal