Author Topic: Sunova Creek 9'1" fins  (Read 2802 times)

sound_solution

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Sunova Creek 9'1" fins
« on: June 24, 2020, 06:45:06 PM »
Any suggestions for fin choices for the 9'1" Creek.  Surfing mushy NC surf.  I love the board and my beloved Wide Point 10'5" feels like a beast now.  Just wondering if alternate fin set up will give a different feel.   I am using the stock 94 fins and they do feel a little looser than what I like.  160 lbs, daily surfer.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunova Creek 9'1" fins
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 07:28:08 AM »
If you do a search you will find most people think the stock sunova fins have way too much sweep in their shape.

of all the people I know (with the exception of Creek as he has so many Sunovas at any time) most people swap out those fins on the Creek, Flow Flash , acid etc.

Shameless Plug:  I have a set of Gerry Lopez GL1's for sale in the classified section.  They are essentially the opposite of the sunova fins.  I originally bough them to replace stock Starboard fins that I also thought had too much sweep to help the board turn more lively, without going to a smaller surfboard fin.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 07:30:56 PM »
Hi Sound

Best fins I have found for my 8'7" Creek are Cdrive. I use medium side fins and a small stabiliser. Holds a line well on fast waves and still loose. I have tried Quoba fins also but prefer the Cdrive. Same set up on my 8'10" Speeed but use small Cdrive side fins. I don't think you need big fins on these boards with channels. I believe that the Cdrives were originally designed as a big wave fin but they seem to work well on standup boards.

http://www.cdrivefins.com/twin-fin-stabiliser/

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 03:34:08 AM »
Another thumbs up on the C-drives. Although I run mine as a Thruster. I am bigger and ride a 9' 7 so I have the large fins. I find they  speed the board up a tad and offer more drive off the bottom particularly on those mushier days.

sound_solution

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 03:20:56 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions.  I am going to give the C DRIVES a try.

sound_solution

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 09:59:54 AM »
Just a follow-up on my experience.  I ordered the medium NVS C DRIVES thruster configuration at $90.  They would not seat into the Creek boxes and the tabs had a ridge on one side that was not machined properly.  Also the tabs looked too deep.  I filed and sanded until I could get them to seat properly without a gap of at least a penny thickness. 
I surfed two days with waist to chest high waves on the Creek 9'1".  I did not perceive any improved performance or increase in speed.  They did feel loose and I could move around quite a bit on the waves.  For my mushy east coast choppy surf conditions I feel like the 94 Sunova fins were preferable so I put them back on.  The next day with bigger surf I will put the C Drives back on and give them another go.  On a glassy day with bigger waves I may like them better.  No buyer's remorse and they may still be useful for me.  NVS asked me to send a picture of the fin ridge and fit but I had already modified them.  I may try them as the side bites on my Wide Point 10'5" just to see how that feels. 

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 12:32:37 PM »
Hi sound_solutions, welcome to the Zone!

Sorry I missed this post, I have been on a great run of surf lately, so I have been buried in video and editing.

The Creek channels require a fairly small center fin to loosen the tail up a bit.

I do have a lot of Sunova's, but I almost never use the stock fins.
My sides are generally smaller than stock, depending on the board.
On my Creeks I usually use FCS MF-1 Thruster set-up
OR, more recently, bigger sides with a smaller "pivot" fin in the center (Pic 1)
My pivot fin is from 1981, and long out of production, so I have tried other small centers to find a workable fin that is available.
This set-up keeps the drive, but lets the tail free up a little, and get looser.
Not sure if that's what you are after, but I prefer my Creeks loosed up a bit.

The Stussy Trailer from Pacific Vibrations works pretty well in small to medium size waves. ($24.99)
https://www.pacificvibrations.com/product-page/stussy-template-trailer-5

My buddy Ryan uses a tiny nub like the Ho Stevie one in the last picture... he says it's great on the Creek.... I'd have to test it to verify that 

I bought some "Ho Stevie" quad fins that I love because they have small rears.
Unfortunately I can't find a center fin of similar dimensions
But here is a link to a nice Thruster set for $39.97... then just add a pacific Vibrations 'Stussy trailer" n the center
I find them to be good quality and work just fine
https://hostevie.com/shop/surf-fins.html

If you have any questions, please ask!

The 4th pic below is of an old 3" fin that works well in the center as well

sound_solution

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 06:31:15 PM »
Thank you for all the suggestions and good information.  After some experimentation I am now running the Sunova 94 in the center with the Cdrive medium side bites and really enjoying that setup in small surf. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal