Author Topic: Is something wrong with my board? 😱  (Read 3786 times)

SoFloSupChick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Is something wrong with my board? 😱
« on: June 21, 2020, 07:38:42 PM »
Started paddling again about a month ago after a significant break.

At first everything was going great, but in the last few days it feels like something is off. I thought maybe it was maybe due to conditions, but it happened today again, and it was almost flat out today.

My board (Maliko)  feels like it’s sitting heavy in the water and kind of dragging. And I can barely keep going on it, like I’m paddling in molasses. It’s a bit subtle, so I thought maybe it’s psychosomatic or I’m tired, etc. But we switched boards with my hubby a couple of times and did some quick test races, and it does seem to be pointing to the board.

Visually it doesn’t seem to be sitting a whole lot deeper in the water than usual - maybe a bit more water on the deck than usual? (but it’s not like I measured that before). When I carry it, it doesn’t feel much heavier than usual either.

Any ideas? Or is it all in my head?
2019 Naish Maliko 14' x 26"
2017 Starboard iWindSup 11'2 x 32"

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Is something wrong with my board? 😱
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 09:16:26 PM »
It doesn’t sound like it’s in your head.
Have you weighed it? Just to get that data point?
Probably good to eliminate the obvious. I see Naish no longer lists board weights.
According to Supboarder the 14x24 weighs 28.2 lbs. I know yours is 26”.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SoFloSupChick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 06:07:39 AM »
Weighed it this morning, and it was the exact weight that Naish is listing for this board (29 lbs). Unfortunately I didn’t weigh it when I first got it. I didn’t take it this morning either, so this is 24 hours after the last use.

I guess I could try to weigh it before and after a paddle to see if there’s a difference ? 🤷‍♀️ Not sure if I trust my scale to be that precise though.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 11:33:56 AM »
Usually if a board is taking on water it tends to do so more at one end than the other so becomes hard to carry - either tail or nose heavy. If your board is still evenly weighted at the handle when you carry it, it might argue against the board being damaged.

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 11:57:56 AM »
Just throwing this out there … but what about your paddle? Assuming you are using the same one all the time.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 02:41:29 PM »
I have found that paddling with someone that is a slightly faster paddler than I am, makes me push my board harder than usual. As the speed increases, the resistance grows exponentially. I feel like my board is dragging, because it is. The harder you paddle, the ever increasingly harder it gets to go any faster. It's a brutal curve that only the lightest most fit individuals can seemingly overcome for a long enough time to make us all feel slow. Get a cheap GPS watch or use a sport tracking app on your phone, and compare your paddle sessions with your paddle sessions. That is the only way to gauge your own performance.

Speed vs. Resistance:
(* tested racing canoe hull 17' x 24" #250 lbs total load)
Skin Friction + Residual Drag @ 2.3 mph = 0.9
Skin Friction + Residual Drag @ 3.4 mph = 2.0
Skin Friction + Residual Drag @ 4.6 mph = 3.8
Skin Friction + Residual Drag @ 5.2 mph = 5.7
Skin Friction + Residual Drag @ 5.7 mph = 7.9
Skin Friction + Residual Drag @ 6.9 mph = 14.3

To Infinity ...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 02:49:03 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »
Maybe stating the obvious but did you check the fin to see that it's all good down there? Sometimes fin issues can make you feel like you're towing seaweed or it could be that you actually are if the water you paddle in has elements in it that a fin might catch. If that's the case it'd an easy fix.
in progress...

SoFloSupChick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 08:37:39 AM »
So I took the board out today again, and it was... fine :o

Did the whole weigh-in before and after the paddle, and the damn thing even "lost" 0.5 lbs afterwards, haha.

Just to address a couple of points from others, the paddle and the fin are both fine.

So I think there are only 2 options left:
1) the other board has a unique advantage in specific conditions
2) it was all in our heads

So my other board errr... my "husband's" board is Bark Vapor Ghost Carbon 14' x 26". I think it has slightly more volume than Maliko, but the difference is tiny. But on the day when we were swapping boards and racing each other, we both felt that the Bark had significantly more glide.

Now, yesterday, I took the Bark and my hubby took one of the inflatables. We paddle in the ocean, as usual. There was basically no wind, and a very small northward current. So going north, I was doing literal circles around him, because of how fast Bark was. But on the way back, it was not nearly as glidey.

Can it be that Bark performs really well in very specific conditions, and on the days that I felt that Maliko was dragging, that was the reason?

And like I said, today Maliko was totally fine (both ways even).

(Or I'm going crazy, which is another distinct possibility)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »
You're not crazy. The Maliko has a unique rocker that makes it really outstanding in certain conditions and frustrating in other. The only remedy under those conditions is to increase cadence considerably, shorter and faster strokes makes the board unstick sort to speak when in confused/cross current water. That has been my experience.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 06:10:58 PM »
The Bark Vapour is a good board in confused waters, or where you are going with the current or wind. The ghost carbon Vapor will be a bit lighter than the Maliko and that can also make a difference if you are light.

Nearly all boards are better in some conditions than others. Otherwise we'd all only have one board. Which would just be plain silly :)

The Vapor is not fast in flat water though. Its passable there, but not at its best. The Maliko will have its strengths and weaknesses too.

SoFloSupChick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 05:39:49 PM »
The only remedy under those conditions is to increase cadence considerably, shorter and faster strokes makes the board unstick sort to speak when in confused/cross current water. That has been my experience.

Interesting, I’ll try that!
Thanks, everyone!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 07:52:18 PM »
Try paddling with both elbows locked.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

safetyboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 07:29:41 AM »
I have similar thoughts every so often when go out:  "Man, my board feels really heavy today..."

But I've decided that it must be a combination of in-my-head, wind/water conditions, my own physical condition or weight that day, my technique slipping on me. 

"Feels" is also a bad measure - I notice that when I paddle into a slight breeze, I feel faster than when I turn around and paddle with it.

My solution is:  don't think about speed so much, focus on good form and rhythm, keep a smooth stroke & try to slip through the water, look around and enjoy the scenery.  If I do that right, I have a good session, and when fast/slow doesn't matter, I usually end up faster  :) .

SoFloSupChick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 12:12:52 PM »
Good advice, safetyboy! :)

I don’t get frustrated about it or anything. Any day on the water is a good day for me. But for a minute there I was kind of  getting concerned about the board. But I think you’re right - it must be a combination of all these factors.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 06:43:28 PM »
The ultimate example of a single condition board is probably the first Naish 14' glide. In flatwater it was an incredible pig. Going upwind it was impossible. Going downwind with long-period waves like the Maliko run it was OK, but in the Gorge with short period big swells and nuking wind it was incredible. The rocker fit those swells perfectly and you could catch them without paddling. I did a ridiculously fast Vieto run (1:15 which was smoking back then) with a glide and all I really did was hang on and not fall. The next day as just a little flatter and it sucked out loud.

The original 18' speedboard is another example. If you got your weight in exactly the right place and the wind and swell were just right, there was just nothing like it. I did the Challenge on the Charles with it one year and it was horrible going upwind. Just too much chop hitting the nose and shoving it all over the place. Crossing the river at the top of the course was even worse, it was all I could do to stay on the board. Then we turned downwind and in a few hundred yards I passed everyone that had passed me on the uphill leg and was catching the lead pack like I had a motor and they were dragging sea anchors. If I'd had another half mile I might have got them all. It was so silly fast.

Horse for courses. Nothing works in every condition. But fast paddlers are always fast. And Talldude's little chart is exactly right.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:45:26 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal