Author Topic: Are there any good, hydrodynamic reasons NOT to wing on a 90cm mast?  (Read 5470 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Okay, I was completely out to lunch on this issue. I've had a 90CM mast in my truck for about 6 months and never really gave it a try. I'm an idiot. I had an awesome session this afternoon. Admin has been telling me that the 90cm mast is hugely superior to the 75CM, but I assumed he was just talking about overfoiling. Holy shit, I can't believe it took me this long to yank off the training wheels. It's pretty much indescribably better in every way--shocking. So much more maneuverable, quicker turning, forgiving. Overfoiling is the least of it. I'm getting very close to nailing switchfoot jibes with just this single change. Unbelievable. 

75CM is dead to me. I'll think of something to make from my shorter masts, but I'm not foiling on them again any time soon. Maybe for surfing, but not for wingfoiling.

We watched you from the beach and you looked really good out there!  I asked Chan if you were frolicking and she confirmed that indeed you were.  We ordered a 96 for Chan when we got home :).  Axis makes a 105 Aluminum if you are feeling experimental ($140.00).  I can tell you for sure that 96 is known good. 

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Okay, I was completely out to lunch on this issue. I've had a 90CM mast in my truck for about 6 months and never really gave it a try. I'm an idiot. I had an awesome session this afternoon. Admin has been telling me that the 90cm mast is hugely superior to the 75CM, but I assumed he was just talking about overfoiling. Holy shit, I can't believe it took me this long to yank off the training wheels. It's pretty much indescribably better in every way--shocking. So much more maneuverable, quicker turning, forgiving. Overfoiling is the least of it. I'm getting very close to nailing switchfoot jibes with just this single change. Unbelievable. 

75CM is dead to me. I'll think of something to make from my shorter masts, but I'm not foiling on them again any time soon. Maybe for surfing, but not for wingfoiling.

You haven’t lived till you’ve breached at really high speed with a 90 mast.. 😂

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile

You haven’t lived till you’ve breached at really high speed with a 90 mast.. 😂

Do we get a T-shirt or something? I did one today that was pretty nutz. I was grossly overpowered (6 meter wing in 30 gusting to whatever) and I was barely hanging on. I came over the top of a big peaky swell and there was nothing but air on the other side. The splash must have been impressive--Chan was still laughing when I got in.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Axis 106 (and 86) are 2-3 months out.  We are going tall in the Fall. 

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
I like the longer mast for downwinding, but for jumping, I still like the shorter mast.   8)
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal