Author Topic: What do people want in a foil?  (Read 7523 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What do people want in a foil?
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 04:17:05 AM »
Sorry to post on this older thread but I wish to thank Tom Speers for the creation of the H105 wing profile. This profile was originally designed for hydrofoil sailing dingies meant to travel at 15-20 kts.  Is not that what wing foiling is?  A very small hydrofoil sailing dingy.  I initially created a high aspect wing using this profile for SUP wave foiling.  Since I started wing foiling, this foil has become my go to wing.  Span is 42.5", Cord is 7.5". 1.5 degrees of continuous washout.  It is a delight to fly and is very easy to control at all the speeds I have experienced in our gusty Maine winds. 

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 05:27:27 AM »
Sheesh, what a difference a few weeks can make.  I want to retract my earlier post.  I am fully blown away that a stabilizer change would turn my wish list on its ear, but it has.  I am still finding North but with the 390 tail on the 900 and 1000 I am feeling really well covered.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2020, 06:55:10 AM »
For winging, I want an Axis 1000 that I can use in 8 Knots.  If it could also rub my back, grill sausages, and bring me beer that would be sweet.

Just a reminder of all those requirements, Admin! ;)

It's comments like Admin's and my own experience with stab adjustment which explains why I bought a couple of stabs to try with my new (still waiting to arrive) foil. Quite remarkable the difference they make, and having adjustable stabs would sway future foil purchase decisions...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:58:50 AM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2020, 07:46:59 AM »
For winging, I want an Axis 1000 that I can use in 8 Knots.  If it could also rub my back, grill sausages, and bring me beer that would be sweet.

Just a reminder of all those requirements, Admin! ;)

It's comments like Admin's and my own experience with stab adjustment which explains why I bought a couple of stabs to try with my new (still waiting to arrive) foil. Quite remarkable the difference they make, and having adjustable stabs would sway future foil purchase decisions...

This is my sequence:

DW mentions that he is loving the 390's.  I have the 370 and 400 and I am dubious that a little angle change will make a difference for me.  I take no action.

I place a mast order with Axis and Evan lets me know that they have a 390 in stock.  Still dubious, no action. 

A friend is out at the beach measuring angles of stabilizers in relation to front wings.  He has the angle measure setup in the Delta video.  I see it, I get it but I am skeptical and make no change.

Bill gets his gear measured, shims and notices a change.

I finally give in (still not really trusting) and buy a 390.  It sits.

Flash to this week.  Lightning.

A few degrees less down on a dinky little tail wing, whoulda thunk it. 

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2020, 08:10:16 AM »
A few degrees less down on a dinky little tail wing, whoulda thunk it.

It's almost as if the stab is the brains and the main foil the brawn... *

[*Statement may be utter BS...]

Foil development must be a nightmare trying to unpick the relationship between main foil and stab.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2020, 11:23:33 AM »
Nope you nailed it! Stabs are all of your stability, and most of your (speed limiting) drag.
In a few weeks you will see some very interesting developments in this area  ;) ;)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2020, 12:31:08 PM »
Chopping the tips has been common but I like to reduce the cord. Less cord= less drag but still get the lift in turns. A little belt sander action.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2020, 02:35:57 PM »
Chopping the tips has been common but I like to reduce the cord. Less cord= less drag but still get the lift in turns. A little belt sander action.

Yes, I've heard stab mods are pretty common but assumed that would become less now there is so much more choice and foil developers should offer what the market is asking for.

Working on the 'no free lunch' assumption, I guess your mods are at the expense of ease of use, or is it just looser / more manoeuvrable? Any undesirable consequences?
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal