Author Topic: The Winging Speed Thread  (Read 20538 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Winging Speed Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »
LPB, this is why I love the Zone. Other forums have guys guessing and speculating. We get the guy who worked on the original app behind the tech. Amazing and thanks for the explanation.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2020, 09:48:21 PM »
Whoops, poor writing on my part. 

Dashware was "my old program" is incorrect.  I was a user of the old Dashware, not a programmer. 

I gleaned that info from the web back when Gopro ruined it. 

Ha ha, I'll bet admin got a chuckle out of that one, he knows what a meatball I am.  :)

Garmin watches are 1Hz,
Garmin Virb cameras are 10Hz
Gopro is 18Hz
DJI drone stuff is adjustable up to 100Hz (!)
Support your local shaper

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2020, 09:36:14 AM »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2020, 09:33:05 PM »
Haha, too long in the industry. When someone says “my program” I assume the wrote it lol.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2020, 06:12:11 AM »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2020, 10:26:51 AM »
Does anyone know how Robby got the speed overlay on the video.  Was it from the iWatch or GoPro GPS?

If it is from the iWatch I want to know how he pulled it off.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2020, 11:11:14 AM »
Does anyone know how Robby got the speed overlay on the video.  Was it from the iWatch or GoPro GPS?

It was from gopro.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Wind Runner

• Waikiki Status
  • Wings and Things
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2020, 08:03:42 AM »
What is it that holds back speed the most?  I assume it's mostly a factor of the power to weight ratio, but what about drag and stability?  From watching windfoiling vs wingfoiling, it certainly looks like windfoiling is generally faster, and it looks like it's a speed advantage to have the sail firmly attached to the deck of the board.  Has anyone considered something like placing a small "hook" type thing on the nose, deck, or rail of a wing board, and on each tip of the wing a small "loop" that could then be used to hold the wing down to stabilize it and power it up more when blasting along?  Then when you want to tack or gibe you just let the loop drop off the hook.  Does that make sense how I described it?  What would that do to the handling and stability?  Thoughts on this crazy idea?

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2020, 09:08:22 AM »
Drag from the wing and from the foil is what holds the speed back. Our inflatable wings are draggy blimps. Our foils are on the larger end and have a definite speed limit.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2020, 02:19:20 PM »

When you edit, look for the stickers section and you'll find the speed overlap.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2020, 06:56:08 PM »
Wind runner, as was said, it’s not the lack of pull. You can lock in as hard as you want, you don’t need the loop.

But to be clear, the speed is and feels insane. Other than racing someone which I don’t care about, I can’t imagine needing more speed.

When folks here talk about “wanting a faster foil” that’s because the wing can make more speed than the foil will handle which points to the power transfer being just fine.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2020, 08:42:09 PM »
Lift increases as the square of velocity, so you need to counter a huge increase in lift with either a lot of front foot pressure, a lot of stabilizer downforce, or an angle of attack that would switch to a JATO liftoff if you accidentally lost it. All that countered lift equals drag, so you hit a speed limit rapidly. In boats that have a wide dynamic speed range they use laddered wings. In the superfast americas cup boats they change AOA. We just use our bodies. It's not enough.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2020, 12:05:35 AM »
Current wingfoil equipment creates enough speed for foot steering,transitions,surfing and jumping.
Yes, we are slower than kites or windsurfers...so what?.
Wind driven waves are slow unless gale conditions, wingfoil current speed is "in sync" with these waves This is very good IMHO.
Personally i would prefer to see wingfoils focusing on early lift off, glide,maneuvrability&feel (surfiness).

And the forgotten factor,safety.
Riding on top of 50cm carbon katanas is not exactly smart , rubber flex tips and trailing edges or even better, an infinity wing (closed biplane) foil concept are doable.

I remember the windsurfing "speed fever" craze when Pascal Maka broke the sailing speed record.Lots of needle boards are in landfills or gathering dust in garages.Unridable,unsellable.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2020, 06:17:31 AM »
Yup, I did that for a little while. Turns out I had the weight but not the skill. For one shining moment I actually had people giving me gear to use, but then they discovered being fat was not enough.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2021, 03:34:08 PM »
Finally got my Locosys GW 60 Doppler speed watch going yesterday here in Rhode Island while testing new Delta foils for George. Had a best 2 second average of 22.90 mph on the 1740 cm2 (110 cm span) wing with a 4m Duo Unit in 25-30+ mph winds and choppy/swelly water. This is a large wing and comparable to my Axis 1150 is size, but a bit smaller. The Delta wing is NOTICABLY FASTER than the Axis 1150. I was really blown away. I don't think my 1150 can go near that quick. Spent the whole weekend testing Delta foils with George periodically getting out of his warm Tesla to swap out wings and stabilizers for me. Must have been the 28-30 degree air temperture? Suprisingly the 1740 Delta wing isn't that much thinner than the Axis 1150. George thinks it's the foil section. Delta will have an all carbon (base plate/strut/fuselage/wings/stabilizers) coming out this spring. I also rode the 1480 cm2 (100 cm span) and was equally impressed but the speed watch somehow turned off so no speed results for that wing. There is also a 1250 cm2 wing. And 3 kite wings. Finally feeling the performance in winging that I've been seeking.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal