Author Topic: The Winging Speed Thread  (Read 20535 times)

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
Re: The Winging Speed Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »
Alex Aguera just posted a video hitting 37 mph with his NL wings and BRM wing.  Check Gofoils Insta:

https://www.instagram.com/gofoil/?hl=en
Modify message
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2020, 04:55:43 PM »
I'd buy 37 km/h ::)

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2020, 05:35:13 PM »
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2020, 05:54:30 PM »
Oh I looked, not buying ::)

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2020, 06:25:25 PM »
Alex Aguera just posted a video hitting 37 mph with his NL wings and BRM wing.  Check Gofoils Insta:

https://www.instagram.com/gofoil/?hl=en
Modify message

Looks like he's on a 111 cm. mast -- in other words stilts.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2020, 06:40:32 AM »
At the 9:23 mark, just before his jump, Kai Lenny hits a very impressive speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zk9IBYc-Aw

Here he is concentrating on just speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYu9JjoAHeU

Maybe these foils will help with speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os7IzZ1vuXY
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 06:55:53 AM by deja vu »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2020, 08:40:41 AM »
The Fone Phantom review is good. It sounds like he likes the type of foils I like. I bet I’d love the Fone foils.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2020, 09:10:38 AM »
I'm not so sure about the GoPro camera being accurate for speed recording, but it might be fine for averaging speed. Getting accurate speed from a GPS is challenging unless you are using a GPS designed explicitly for measuring speed. Still, 30 MPH is impressive, and it lends credence to Alex's 36 mph claim. Alex is heavier than Kai (which helps with speed runs) and he has a lot of experience in speed trials and foil racing with kites.

Kai's comments on losing a kite at that location (Kealia Pond) made me laugh. I lost my 4.2 close to that location. I launched from the canoe Hale but was winging near the boardwalk when my leash came off the wing. It did indeed, blow away from me almost instantly and head for Tahiti. I proned in and was met with a variety of emergency services--a tourist assumed i was in big trouble and called 911--including lifeguards, who radioed to the guard station and got another lifeguard to retrieve the wing with a jetski. The wing is the 4.2 F-one that Admin claims looks like a hobo's handkerchief. The lifeguard stabbed the wing in the bladders to deflate it, and it got torn in a couple of places bringing it back, but I got it repaired, and it's fine, though a bit used-looking.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2020, 08:48:00 AM »
The Fone Phantom review is good. It sounds like he likes the type of foils I like. I bet I’d love the Fone foils.
I spent a day testing the Phantom 1780 and Axis 1150 back to back. I had not rode either foil before then. Rode the 1150 first and was blown away. The 1780 was very similar to my F-One gravity 2200 except being thinner it was a bit faster but not by much. The shape is quite similar to the Gravity wings just thinner. It obviously didnt have the low end take off as my 2200 but rode similar. Banks turns really well. It just didn't have the same glide and magic as the 1150 did for my size. It would be a great foil for a normal sized rider. I ended up not keeping the Phantom 1780 and kept the 1150 but it's really hard to compare these foils as they are quite different.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2020, 06:47:19 AM »
Those F-ones look great.  Has anyone tried the Gravity 1200 and the Phantom 1280?  Almost the same area (1245 vs 1280) but 700 wide vs 860. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2020, 05:26:31 AM »
Looks like Alan is doing speed runs on this Duotone prototype mini boom wing. Wing looks good too

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE3PJbrDnJY/?igshid=ay6pt4kwstpy

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2020, 09:17:36 AM »
Here's what I noticed about the prototype wing Alan Cadiz was riding:

1) No canopy between the centre bladder and the main wing material (unlike most of the new V2 wings);
2) several mini battens at the trailing edge of the wing;
3) full length boom unlike the mini boom seen with the Armstrong A Wing and the new Cabrinna (sp.) wing;
4) no leach flutter;
5) small boxy windows (located to be useful and small to save weight?);
6) very rectangular shaped wing; and
7) bowed shaped centre strut to allow more room between the strut and boom for hands.

It seems reasonable to me that at some point a manufacturer will offer a wing having the option to remove the hand straps and substitute a full length (for a wing) boom.  Perhaps the company would allow you to oder it with both the straps and boom for "x" amount of money or save some money by choosing only the strap or boom option.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 09:26:03 AM by deja vu »

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2020, 06:45:23 AM »
Here's what I noticed about the prototype wing Alan Cadiz was riding:

1) No canopy between the centre bladder and the main wing material (unlike most of the new V2 wings);
2) several mini battens at the trailing edge of the wing;
3) full length boom unlike the mini boom seen with the Armstrong A Wing and the new Cabrinha (sp.) wing;
4) no leach flutter;
5) small boxy windows (located to be useful and small to save weight?);
6) very rectangular shaped wing; and
7) bowed shaped centre strut to allow more room between the strut and boom for hands.

It seems reasonable to me that at some point a manufacturer will offer a wing having the option to remove the hand straps and substitute a full length (for a wing) boom.  Perhaps the company would allow you to oder it with both the straps and boom for "x" amount of money or save some money by choosing only the strap or boom option.

Correction:  I should have said that the centre strut was directly connected to the canopy unlike most V2 wings.

This wing looks very much like the Unit but with a boom rather than handles.

When it comes to wings and speed I have seen another wing, which uses a rigid frame like the one Kai Lenny was using in his speed video.  It will be interesting to see if rigid framed wings become a "thing".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 06:46:56 AM by deja vu »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2020, 09:10:44 AM »
Rigid framed wings have been a thing for at least 20 years--for ice skating and skiing. Bret Likle was playing with one last winter in Maui. The biggest problem is that they sink. Even if you stick some floats on them to keep them from sinking, if you don't get them out of the water in a hurry the tubes (carbon) fill with water and drain slowly--mega heavy. With some clever tweaks even the currently available rigid wings could be practical.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2020, 06:40:10 PM »
I'm not so sure about the GoPro camera being accurate for speed recording, but it might be fine for averaging speed. Getting accurate speed from a GPS is challenging unless you are using a GPS designed explicitly for measuring speed.

Kai is correct - IMO - gopro's GPS telemetry is very accurate.

Garmin's 1Hz sample rate was all we had back in the day.  Gopro is at 18Hz. 

Gopro needed software for on screen telemetry (to catch up to Garmin) years ago.   Gopro acquired Dashware (that was my old program) and promptly ruined it.  The software engineers at Dashware bailed.  Anyhow, gopro/dashware works fine.  I prefer to design less intrusive data on my videos.   

I've moved on to Racerender.  It's very stable, flexible and easy to use.  It automatically grabs, joins and integrates the gopro embedded telemetry.  Very easy to use. 

As for details on how to use gopro telemetry, problems etc, the drone guys are on it.  They look here for satellite coverage.  Maui has excellent coverage.  9 is minimum.   
https://www.uavforecast.com/

Here is a page that gopro has on their proprietary telemetry issues.     
https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-stickers-and-telemetry-FAQ/gpm-p/419554#M320

Here is a how I watch my speed with Racerender.  I designed the graph to help me learn better downwind strategy - which paths work best etc...  Switching to 18Hz from 1Hz was very apparent.  What was once smooth became a sawtooth.  It looks very accurate to me.   

https://youtu.be/SljxayyTNFk

Same graph, Garmin 1Hz signal.  Still sorta accurate, but more is always better.  I think those drone guys really need good GPS. 

https://youtu.be/dRruxRkw5Y4

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:51:33 PM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal