Author Topic: The Winging Speed Thread  (Read 20537 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Winging Speed Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 11:51:43 PM »
Never mind. Beat my record in 15 mph today. 6m and 2100 sq cm of wing. Amazed.

That’s cookin!

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 06:08:50 AM »
Never mind. Beat my record in 15 mph today. 6m and 2100 sq cm of wing. Amazed.

Nice speed!  Its a race to get to 20mph lol.  You should post the details of your fastest waves, rather than the session summary page.  If you tap on the 19.6 mph bar, it will give you a speed graph and gps track of that specific 'wave'.  That way we can see if your 19.6 was right before a big stack  ;D   You will also be able to see if you are sustaining high speeds or getting odd spikes.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 06:19:49 AM »
Thanks for the tip. Here is the run.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2020, 07:20:34 AM »
Last year when I was riding with Ken Winner he was hitting 25 and sometimes 26 mph on a downwinder from Maliko in 18ft seas!
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 09:43:47 AM »
I'm curious what wingding speeds are.

I've seen as a much as a 5mph variation from garmin to gopro when wave foiling.

What's the method for verifying speed accuracy?  Or what's a proven accurate way to measure?

You have good reason to wonder. The only way to get accurate short interval speed information from a GPS is to find a GPS with doppler capability. That used to be relatively easy to find, but modern miniature GPS systems don't have it--they use a calculated speed based on distance differential over time. Given general location error band that yields an accuracy range of about +/-1mph at best and performance variations and conversion of a 3D location to 2D speed can make for pretty wild swings.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 10:15:01 AM »
1) Can people please post Windspeeds with these wave speeds please.

2) The Dawn Patrol app shown above is using the iWatch (or maybe the iPhone) but has been pretty accurate.

I have been tracking wave speeds since 2015.  Almost every wave starting with the TRACE GPS (then the iWatch).  9,000+ waves.   The TRACE GPS recorded a GPS reading 5 times per second.  Typically it also recorded ~ 20% faster speeds than the RipCurl watches which were always slow. 

The TRACE and the iWatch have been nearly in perfect lock-step on speed which was a good sign.  The only downside I have found on the iWatch is that the distance is recorded Point to Point (for a single wave for example).  The turns, cutbacks and rare foil loop do not appear to add distance.  The algorithm may compensate for back and forth sailing but I have not tested. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2020, 10:49:16 AM »
15 mph wind dead flat water hit 19.6
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:05:26 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2020, 01:54:47 PM »
It’s beginning to look like I’ll never break the 20 mph barrier with (Moses W1100) 2100 sq cm of front wing. I tired hard today. Crashed hard twice trying. I’m having a blast trying.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 04:41:08 PM »
You sure are putting a lot of work into that!  Curious if you’re going just as fast to your weak side as your strong side? I’m always slower to my weak weak side, or maybe just less gutsy :P

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 04:50:42 PM »
I do ride about the same both ways. I can handle the same power and speed.

That said, I’m not doing speed runs weak side. I’m not crazy 😜

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 07:15:30 PM »
It's odd, but I think I'm faster on my weak side. I also get up on foil easier going goofy. I might be faster just because I have less control, or perhaps having less control makes it feel fast.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2020, 09:23:32 AM »
Well.... I thought I was going pretty fast. After two sessions with my newly acquired Minnie Mouse watch and the Dawn patrol app It appears mostly I'm peaking in the mid to high teens as well (Axis 1010 / 390). First session was mostly lawn mowing with the 3.6 Naish, second one yesterday, the 13 mile downwinder from to Celilo to Rufus, 3.6, both 20-35+.

So zero reaching on the downwinder, what I'm seeing is it's actually a hair faster riding waves  than just using the 3.6 on a broad reach. One anomaly to 19.x but most peaks in 17.x range. Generally I'm trying to slow down though so as to stay within a wave. I thought it might help in my decision to purchase a smaller wing for the Axis setup (860, 900, or 910).

Will report back once I get the Gong Large Pro setup going, just from kiting it I know that wing is a fair bit faster (24cm shorter span, about 100sqcm less area). Trouble is there can be places on a long downwinder where the wind is light and it can be hard to get started again after a breach or rest stop. The Gong might not be enough...

Any way to control how Dawn Patrol breaks the session up into segments (less often would be preferable)?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2020, 12:59:57 PM »
Drop off foil for a brief second. Dawn Patrol will record it as end of wave, and start again.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2020, 01:52:49 PM »
Top speeds will be higher when using a smaller foil with thinner profiles.  Big foil wings over 2000 cm2 make it easier to learn and give you more time in transitions but really limit the top speed. 

A while back our group of Oahu wing foilers did a time trial GPS race in Hawaii Kai, the goal was to complete 3 miles in the shortest total time, as part of a virtual race.  My best time was 10 minutes, the average speed was 17.6 mph over the 3 mile course.

I was using a 5'2 Blue Planet Carver foilboard, Levitaz shaka M foil (1500 cm2) with 96 cm mast, 4M Duotone wing.
My max speed was higher (23 mph= 37 kph) during my first three runs using a 5M Duotone but I was not able to complete the 3 miles without falling in smooth water with strong offshore wind, around 15-25 knots. Using a 4M wing was easier to control, so although the top speed was a little lower I was able to finish without falling in, resulting in the fastest average time on the 3 mile course.

This is the GPS track of the course:
connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4861721009
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2020, 07:52:21 AM »
Drop off foil for a brief second. Dawn Patrol will record it as end of wave, and start again.

I'm assuming what's happening is because of the river current there are points where I'm going so slow it's breaking a multi mile ride up into sometimes 3+ waves. It's easy to tell when zooming in what was a fall or stop though as I'll always start out going across the wind.

Robert averaging 17+ over three miles is remarkably quick and sounds like a blast8) Time to do some experimenting....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal