Author Topic: The Winging Speed Thread  (Read 20532 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
The Winging Speed Thread
« on: June 17, 2020, 05:00:18 PM »
For those of us who want to compare notes.

I’ll start.

Flat water, no help from a wave.

Foil Moses W1100 (2100 sq cm)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: The Winging Speed Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 06:00:13 PM »
Regular GL-180 20.1 mph, no waves.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 08:21:19 PM »
18.4 mph on my 1550 Armstrong and 5m Swing in sheet glass 15-20mph.  Think I hit that speed trying to race my buddy kiting a 15M foil kite. Wish I had put on the 1050.  (Thought my watch had lost the data from this third session the other day but it just popped up on my phone with my new personal best speed and overall distance)

I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 02:56:09 AM »
  (Thought my watch had lost the data from this third session the other day but it just popped up on my phone with my new personal best speed and overall distance)

Funny you mention that, since that’s what’s happening to me a lot with Sports Tracker on my IPhone in the waterproof case (and why I’ve ordered a Garmin gps watch). Anyway I got a few minutes of tracking before it quit out at the Island. My only go-fast try was the first few hundred yards headed out. 18.1 mph Max with my Gong pro XL (1900 sq cm and 2.5 L volume). The reason the speed goes to zero right after that was catching a wing tip (very first time on my new 6m Echo)  :P........... After it quit at the island I did another 10 min of speed runs thinking it was still on but no luck.  Without my ole guy readers I can’t see shit 6” in front of my nose! Oh well, like the fish that got away, I’ll take that that as a good baseline and work on improving it.  Maybe my 1.35 L  Veloce XL will show up in 4 weeks and I can stand a chance against those skinny GL’s  :). Oh yeah, that 6m Echo is a beast!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 03:18:11 AM by obxDave »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 03:19:17 AM »
Between picture attach issues and double posting weirdness........(guess the readers don’t help much......).

FWIW, they say stabilizer choice has a lot to do with speed. I used a 45cm rear wing with my Pro XL. Patrice said the kite stabilizer would add more speed. My rear wing with the Moses 1100 is the 450.  Very surfy but way slow, so I’m not even trying to go fast with the 1100.

Also guessing that a short fuselage adds to the pitch sensitivity at higher speeds. More entertaining crashes....
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 03:42:31 AM by obxDave »

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 02:10:14 AM »

FWIW, they say stabilizer choice has a lot to do with speed. I used a 45cm rear wing with my Pro XL. Patrice said the kite stabilizer would add more speed.

Or the Veloce stab? I've got the L and XL Pro/Curve on order and added the 47 Veloce stab to use with the XL, which will be my light wind foil.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 10:41:05 AM »

FWIW, they say stabilizer choice has a lot to do with speed. I used a 45cm rear wing with my Pro XL. Patrice said the kite stabilizer would add more speed.

Or the Veloce stab? I've got the L and XL Pro/Curve on order and added the 47 Veloce stab to use with the XL, which will be my light wind foil.
Hmm, never thought of that but good point. I also got the 47 Veloce stabilizer to go with the XL Veloce front wing. I suppose I could also try the Veloce stabilizer with my XL pro to possibly squeeze out some more speed.

The Gong pro (Curve) foils are amazingly well balanced. The spongy Al mast and the limited carbon mast size options are the only real drawback. Those wings should work great for you.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 11:36:04 AM »
I went full 'midlife crisis' and ordered the 100cm monoblock mast as well...

Got a chance to ride the L last weekend - had a blast! I really did think long and hard between the XL Curve or the Veloce but went for the Curve as the more all round option, but won't be surprised if I end up with the Veloce as well! Great thing about Gong prices...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 11:43:08 AM »
A small stab can make you slower than a big one, at the very bottom end of a front wings range limit.

I spend a lot of time at the low limit of what is possible for winging.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 05:53:48 PM »
I went full 'midlife crisis' and ordered the 100cm monoblock mast as well...

Got a chance to ride the L last weekend - had a blast! I really did think long and hard between the XL Curve or the Veloce but went for the Curve as the more all round option, but won't be surprised if I end up with the Veloce as well! Great thing about Gong prices...

Cool on the 100cm monoblock..,,,,that’s one bad ass mast!  I’m looking forward to the Veloce but no way would I get rid of the XL pro right now. Speaking of which I tried another speed run today with the same gear as last time (XL pro/45cm stab/75cm Axis mast/6m Echo).  Got 18.7 mph Max. I figure if I kept at it I could break 19 but no real desire to try. It gets a bit unstable at that speed. I’ll wait for the faster foil

What’s more interesting was seeing how fast I could ride to my weak side. I got to 16.9 mph and that was a bit more intimidating, ........but still fun 😱.

A small stab can make you slower than a big one, at the very bottom end of a front wings range limit.

Interesting. I just went by Patrice’s forum comments, but I’ve never really tested it myself other than my Moses 450 versus 483 comparison. Seems like “smaller” can include different parameters; width , area, Max thickness, volume, etc

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 07:25:06 PM »
I'm curious what wingding speeds are.

I've seen as a much as a 5mph variation from garmin to gopro when wave foiling.

What's the method for verifying speed accuracy?  Or what's a proven accurate way to measure?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 11:19:45 PM »

That's useful feedback to have, and validates my choice to go with the 47 stab... Thanks
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 11:40:36 PM »

Cool on the 100cm monoblock..,,,,that’s one bad ass mast!  I’m looking forward to the Veloce but no way would I get rid of the XL pro right now. Speaking of which I tried another speed run today with the same gear as last time (XL pro/45cm stab/75cm Axis mast/6m Echo).  Got 18.7 mph Max. I figure if I kept at it I could break 19 but no real desire to try. It gets a bit unstable at that speed. I’ll wait for the faster foil

What’s more interesting was seeing how fast I could ride to my weak side. I got to 16.9 mph and that was a bit more intimidating, ........but still fun 😱.

Think the monoblock will work for me for a couple of reasons, more comfort at speed being one (greater margin for error, keeps the foil well away from interference from chop etc), although it's not being sold as a speed/race mast.

I plan to get out today, and will switch on my GPS watch to start getting some baseline numbers on my Thrust foil. Should have done the same yesterday, was totally maxed out on my 5m in 25ish knots after the breeze picked up more than forecast...

Intimidating is the word! It's not like windsurfing where you can just really sink into and commit to the harness and let mast foot pressure drive you faster. The whole 'altitude control' bit of foiling makes it all a bit more.....tense!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 06:35:51 AM »
Broke another speed record yesterday for 2100 sq cm of wing. Moses W1100 with a 6m wing. 18.8 mph

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 12:52:13 PM »
Never mind. Beat my record in 15 mph today. 6m and 2100 sq cm of wing. Amazed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal