Author Topic: Hydrofool  (Read 2700 times)

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hydrofool
« on: June 17, 2020, 04:45:08 PM »
I bought 2 foils from the same brand:
1/  after 3 attempts to ride it on a windsurfer in flat conditions (5/7 knots wind, no wave/swell) mast broke 300m from the shore, I lost everything.
2/ one year after purchasing the 2nd set, I still haven't received the adapter to fix the foil to a board (I still have the old adapter but it doesn't fit to the new mast). So I can't use the foil, I tried to find an adapter from another brand but my mast is different from other brands’, it doesn't fit.

Ke Nalu just ignore my messages.
Chinese factory Beyondsurf too. Apparently they disappeared.
I'm sure Ke Nalu is honest but I lost lot's of $, and nobody benefited from it. Just wasting.

I just wish nobody experience the same thing.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hydrofool
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 12:41:45 AM »
I broke my Ke Nalu foils three times (fuselage x2, mast). To their credit, they did make it right each time, but the durability of the product left something to be desired.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 01:29:54 AM »
I see, I’ve been said I was the only one who’s mast broke.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 01:07:16 PM »
He mentioned that one other person had broken a mast at the base (that might have been you), mine was on the other end where the mast and fuselage meet, not as catastrophic of a failure.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 04:32:50 PM »
Thank you for your reply exiled.

Now I’m clueless with a first generation adapter and a second generation set that doesn’t fit the adapter.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 05:04:12 PM by comeu »

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 10:35:11 PM »
Try a little sanding? I bought a plate mount to replace my tuttle mount and it was such a tight fit I don't think I could get it off now.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 01:56:55 AM »
The problem is that holes position changed between generation 1 and 2. I might be the only person with a gen 2 mast. I thought I could drill new holes but I´ve been said it would weaken the adapter...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 04:20:21 AM »
Did they switch from Windsurf Tuttle to GoFoil Tuttle?

Post photos of the Tuttle mast head and adapter.

You should be able to drill new holes.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 09:55:46 AM »
It would certainly weaken the adapter a bit, but so what? Since you only have one adapter and one mast I'd drill the holes, sand the parts a bit where they join, and epoxy and screw the adapter to the mast. It will be as strong or stronger than stock. I'd mix carbon shreds into the epoxy for a bit more strength, but that's mostly because I have a big jar of carbon shreds that I made from all the little odd chunks of carbon trim in my shop. Tip: You CAN chop carbon in a blender, but don't use it for margaritas afterward. Second tip: if you do use a blender, take out the kevlar edge stitching first or it winds up in a ball around the blades that is incredibly hard to get off. Not that I would know.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 10:34:10 AM »
. Tip: You CAN chop carbon in a blender, but don't use it for margaritas afterward. Second tip: if you do use a blender, take out the kevlar edge stitching first or it winds up in a ball around the blades that is incredibly hard to get off. Not that I would know.
Keeping an old blender in your shop is brilliant. Mixing paint, epoxy, micro balloons and margaritas. Don't mind a little extra fiber.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 06:13:42 AM »
It would certainly weaken the adapter a bit, but so what? Since you only have one adapter and one mast I'd drill the holes, sand the parts a bit where they join, and epoxy and screw the adapter to the mast. It will be as strong or stronger than stock.
YES, thank you PonoBill, epoxy and screw sounds like the way to go.
Since I might never receive the adapter I paid for or get a refund, I'll do as you said.

thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal