Author Topic: Holy Switch! ...a new winding.  (Read 6510 times)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Holy Switch! ...a new winding.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2020, 06:41:20 AM »
The F1 and airush leash is a cuff that doesn't fully open like the ozone. So when teaching, I can just loosen it and the student can slide their have into it. So even if it comes loose, it's a good chance it's not going to pop off and let the wing fly. Also makes it easier to take off, un spin twist in the water and get it back on one handed.
I remember when I was riding with Dwight and we were talking about the handles on the ozone. I think the gong wing ended up being the handle implant donner since it had so many extra handles on it.
Really makes you wonder if the companies actually test product or just order it from a supplier and throw it out into the market and hope for the best.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 07:27:45 AM »
Aaaaaa... 'a transfer' makes sense, Nick.   I have lost kites and boards to the ocean because the leash blew up or pulled off, so I am a little gun shy about any looseness.   

Another thing about 'webbing' handles: It is my luck, as a person easily annoyed by dumb details ...the outside radius of a sausage is stretched perfectly smooth when arched - the inside is wrinkled as c'hit. Not only 'spongy and slippery', but it's also frickin' wrinkled.

Here's a simple example of thermoplastic that is formed to 'finish' the handle for this wing. ' Best done in a toaster oven, or boiling water, you need to 1) wear gloves and 2) be focused on the prize ..as the time to set is <10sec because it is so thin.  I had some medical-grade I need to look for because the dwell is longer. ' Next step is to encapsulate it with some non-slip.   But after what seems two weeks - there's a bit of wind - so, later!

Jim

Nick... I had you penciled in around Xmas.  I was going to drag my grandson off Big Bear during college break, fly him to FL, and get him 'on the water'. He teaches snowboarding, so it should have been easy for him.  It was going to be your foil school and a couple of days at the cable park in the Keys.  The way it looks, my wife will be spreading my ashes before I get on a plane or around large groups of people again. 
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 07:38:07 PM »
I just want to call put Admin’s hilarious joke earlier in this thread. Well done.

I saw a guy winging with dry hair last week and it was like seeing a UFO.

Wind Runner

• Waikiki Status
  • Wings and Things
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2020, 08:46:04 AM »
So now that several months have passed, what's the verdict on this wing?  Is it a keeper?

I'm an intermediate kiter and former windsurfer, and wing foiling really appeals to me.  However, I have never foiled at all.  I'm thinking this wing would be a good entry point into the sport.  Would the 6m be too big to start with?  I want to get riding in as light a wind was possible, then get a 4m for higher winds.  Is that too big of a spread?

What would be a good first board and foil to match up with that plan?  5'11" and 150-155lbs here (65-68kg or so)? Trying to be cost conscious too. 😬

EDIT: I like the Gong packages, but seems like shipping to the US is a nightmare.  What do you think about the Zuma or even the Hipe? And their wings and foils?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:27:58 AM by Kite Runner »

SimonP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 12:02:17 PM »
I have a mix of Switch and F-One Swings and like them both. The Switch wing has a more rigid shape; it goes upwind and handles gusts better but is a bit heavier and more twitchier when sheeted out.
You're tall enough that you could use a 6m but light enough that you probably don't need anything bigger than a 5m, unless you plan to wing in 10 knots or less.

Wind Runner

• Waikiki Status
  • Wings and Things
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2020, 02:24:43 PM »
I have a mix of Switch and F-One Swings and like them both. The Switch wing has a more rigid shape; it goes upwind and handles gusts better but is a bit heavier and more twitchier when sheeted out.
You're tall enough that you could use a 6m but light enough that you probably don't need anything bigger than a 5m, unless you plan to wing in 10 knots or less.

Thanks Simon. Do you think I should start with a 5 and then get the 6 if I think I need it?  Yes I would like to wing in as low winds as possible I suppose.  Is the 4 m to 6 m spread too big, or would a 5 & 6 cover me up to say 20mph or more wind?

SimonP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 05:38:14 PM »
I (@ 75 kg) would go 5m and 4m and get a 6m later if it's persistent light wind. If you go 6m and 4m then neither wing would be ideal in the 15-20 knot range.
I use a custom 1700 cm² front foil which is a good all-round size.

Wind Runner

• Waikiki Status
  • Wings and Things
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2020, 07:49:04 AM »
Excellent feedback.  Thank you.

I (@ 75 kg) would go 5m and 4m and get a 6m later if it's persistent light wind. If you go 6m and 4m then neither wing would be ideal in the 15-20 knot range.
I use a custom 1700 cm² front foil which is a good all-round size.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal