Author Topic: The case for a front footstrap - why anything else is holding you back!  (Read 5670 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
clickbait title alert!

I spent my first 200+ sessions foil SUPing without any footstraps.  Then I finally got a new board that has inserts, so I decided to throw on straps - lo and behold getting up on foil seemed to get easier.  After several sessions I found the back footstrap to be super limiting and took it off.  WOW!  so much better and I never missed it (I'll explain more below).  So I bought some NSI sticky mounts and hacked up the pad on my older board so I could add a front footstrap.  After several sessions and some very carefully orchestrated A/B testing I think I can confidently say that (for me) a single front footstrap is the perfect setup.

About that carefully orchestrated A/B testing...  First session out with my old board and front strap (100+ sessions without straps) - I was catching EVERYTHING.  The ability to push forward and up with my front foot to "pop" into the wave and up on foil is magical.  I kept lining up further and further outside and kept right on catching everything.    Then all of a sudden just as I was popping particularly early into a nice set wave, my front foot flew forward and the NSI sticky mount came off.  My fault for not prepping the surface well enough - I was in a rush the night before.  So I was forced to spend the rest of the session strapless.  It was incredible the difference - I was pretty well calibrated from an hour or so of riding the exact same conditions.   I couldn't grab waves nearly as far outside, and getting into the wave and up on foil was taking noticeably more paddle strokes and effort.  So for me, it was case-closed: front footstrap makes catching waves easier

As far as the back footstrap goes, I've got two serious issues with using it:

1) For the board I've been riding, the flatwater floating balance point of the board is about 6" forward of the foil's center of effort.  That means that if I put both feet in the straps and try to paddle around, I have to have weight quite biased to my forward foot or sink the tail.    Works a lot better to have my front foot in the strap and my back foot about 8-12" forward of the flying position.  With the strap installed, I've got the ball of my foot on the strap screwhead.    Getting into the back strap has to happen just at the right moment, and was prone to frequent error for me.  This is coming from a life-long windsurfer, so I'm used to straps. 

2)  On my strapless board, I have a back foot bump indicating proper flying position.  However, I've found that on certain wave conditions, the foil flies better with my foot 2" forward - yes it makes a difference! 

3) For pumping there is a dramatic improvement by sliding the back foot further forward around 4-6".  This for me is the biggest problem with the rear strap - it's in the wrong spot for pumping!  Furthermore, there is no need to "pull" the board up on the back foot during pumping - it may even be a detriment to the way the water flows over the foil.  On a good pump, I'm fully unweighting the back foot.  Its really hard for me to do that just right with a back footstrap.  On the flip-side, there is a nice benefit on a SUP to being able to pull upwards on the front footstrap.  It seems to help the board pitch upwards and counteracts the extra weight in the nose versus a prone board that pitches up by itself.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.  Based on the way I ride, and my careful testing, I'll be running a single front footstrap on all my foilSUP boards from now on.

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Good information!  Going to try this !

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I think I agree, I've been wingfoiling strapless again (I've switched back and forth a few times) but I'm considering two front straps angled again, I just need to spend some time getting them to work as I want. Contrary to what some more experienced member say, I find I need different foot positions for different wind and stabilizer combos. I fley my 1020 front and 500 rear Axis wings yesterday because I wanted to feel the difference between the 500 and the 340 as far as wheelie-ing on liftoff goes. I struggled for a little while until I moved my front foot well back from where I usually plant it. If I go back to front straps they will be longer so I can move my foot position some.

Lots of people say (especially Robbie Naish and Beasho) "both straps or none" because of the potential for injuring your ankle if a foot gets trapped. I think there are other ways to deal with this, and it's rarely been an issue for me. I'm much more concerned with the two leashes issue in surf, after feeling like I was in a gladiator movie with chariots working to tear me in two.

I've taught myself to pump off the surface strapless, but it ain't pretty or easy. A front strap makes it easier.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I don't understand the situation where one strap could get you injured where having two would have protected me.  I meant to bring that up as an open question.  Has anyone experienced anything like this?  Honestly, I've had no trouble coming right out of the strap whenever I want.

Pono, I'm not winging so I can't comment on that.  Wondering - is there a need to move around both feet, just the front foot, or just the back foot?  I've tried a lot of things strapless on SUPfoil, and honestly the only foot adjustments I've been using is the back foot.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
How you fit the straps to your feet determines your injury risk. They can be set for no risk.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Front strap on my sup foil Board has been there from day 1. I tried without it and there is no engagement with the board on the wave. Snapping turns also requires the front strap. Back strap I am not really fond of, seems to be counter intuitive for pumping. In my case, I HATE jimmy lewis flying v deck pad - cheap slippery garbage but I do love the board and the way it catches waves and flies. So strap is my slippery deck mitigation.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
This thread is well timed! Was pondering the same issue myself having just moved from a board with only a front strap (unusual, I know) to one with both front and rear. I haven't yet figured out how to be comfortable using the rear foot strap and now might stop making the effort to try if there is no convincing argument to using one...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
If your straps are tight, as they need to be for a kite twintip or most windsurfing, then having only one foot in a footstrap risks getting your foot trapped while the rest of your body is flopping around, serving as a lever to break your strapped ankle. The idea is that if both feet are strapped tightly then you have enough leverage to control the flopping. It makes some sense, but so does making sure the strap is resaonably loose.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
I am watching these guys who ride two straps with wider stances and they really drive the back knee forward to manage their weight over the foil.  It is a really good looking style.  I love the feel of the back strap but I ended up pulling mine off.  I was getting stuck.  I don't worry about falling with my front foot in at all.  I do that all the time :).  I come right out or kick the board off with my free foot.  The straps don't have to be snug to get a lot out of them.  I go wide and a little loose.  A little foot angle or lift gets you a lot of support without the strap being restrictive.  It is also the ultimate marker for foot position.  I always miss the front straps when they are off and I end up putting them back on. 

That is all for Winging.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 02:55:04 AM by Admin »

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi,
I came to a similar conclusion, though my application is different.  I learned to ride a hydrofoil while kitesurfing with a Rush Randle Aluminum Skychair hydrofoil.  The aluminum is heavy and I could not water start strapless.  I found I could water start with only the front strap.  By not having a back foot strap, I found the freedom of back foot movement advantageous for weight shifting with this hydrofoil.  I used the widest front foot strap I had.  I was nervous about knee injury with wipeouts.  I made a foot hook for my front foot (plastic wrapped in neoprene) and have not looked back, still strapless for back foot.  The foot hook has the leverage of a strap, the freedom of movement of a wide strap, and the easy exit that strapless offers.  Imagine an awkward slam that involves twisting, which would compress the strap (i.e. Brett Lickle at Peahi, Justin Holland at Cow Bombie) .  The same fall with a foot hook, the foot would just slide out.  I don't jump with this foil.
https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=498&idcategory=106
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:06:36 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
There is the:

1) Takeoff
2) Performance
3) Grace

For Taking off the Front Footstrap is a game changer.  Your foot goes in the right spot, your confidence goes to 100%, you can lift up and drive forward. 

For Performance the Back Strap is a game changer.  Anyone at the top of their game on a foil: Kai Lenny, Austin Kalama, Zane Swietzer are riding with both straps.  I have fallen on my back on a whitewater takeoff and been able to pull the board under my body, like a short board, and lift myself back on the board and foil away.  Impossible without 2 straps.  For turning the back strap converts the board from a cruiser to a ripper.  The power from the turn, when you get better, comes from the back foot (again) and the front foot just modulates pitch.  Think about tow surfing - They want full control - 2 Straps. 

For Grace - The back foot needs to move.  This starts to differentiate the sport of pumping from wave riding, big wave riding and aggressive maneuvers.  I have a longer front strap that lets me slide my front foot backward.  I originally used this for smaller tails, with less upforce, on big waves but have found that moving my front foot back, and leaving my back foot in front of the strap allows for a very tight stance that is quite nice to pump.  I am not sure we will ever be able to pump like the prone guys just too much weight in our boards.  There are some ideas on how to lighten the boards coming along.  I would love a 10 lb board that would break for pumping.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 05:30:47 AM by Beasho »

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Okay, I guess it’s time to finally try a front strap. I’ve been told numerous times that a front strap is very helpful but have resisted because I’ll have to get the board fitted. It’s a custom board but not custom for me so the strap mounts are on the wrong side. I honestly don’t think I need straps aside from when paddling into small weak waves. I’ve slowly gotten better without them but I’m still a bit inconsistent and it takes a lot of effort. With the number of people out in the water these days, being able to catch it on the outside will help a lot when it’s small.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
For Performance the Back Strap is a game changer.  Anyone at the top of their game on a foil: Kai Lenny, Austin Kalama, Zane Swietzer are riding with both straps.  I have fallen on my back on a whitewater takeoff and been able to pull the board under my body, like a short board, and lift myself back on the board and foil away.  Impossible without 2 straps.  For turning the back strap converts the board from a cruiser to a ripper.  The power from the turn, when you get better, comes from the back foot (again) and the front foot just modulates pitch.  Think about tow surfing - They want full control - 2 Straps. 

Interesting points!  I can't refute your example of getting back on the board in the whitewater.  I've never experienced anything like that.

I do wonder about why we need a back footstrap for turning.  Whenever I'm railing a turn, there is a ton of force going through my feet into the deck, and a tong of friction.  I really haven't experienced my foot slipping.  And I don't think there has ever been a time where I've wanted to pull my back foot up/away from the board and would need a strap to do that.  So, I'm questioning this statement - I think I can rip turns pretty hard without needing a back footstrap.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Im sold, once again.  Used foot straps for a bit, but in Maine, the water is cold.  Booties make getting out of straps awkaward.  Even my extra large long straps.  After getting both feet stuck in the straps and going over the falls on a rather large wave, I decided the risk just was not worth the benefit.  You guys are changing my mind once again.  Im going to make a front foot hook and start with that.  Thanks for the motivation.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Zo... if you use a 'foothook' - can I assume it is centered?  Assumptions are mostly wrong - that's why I ask.

BUT, if a pair - you could see them angled like the straps Patrice put on that little blimp he recently introduced. 'Maybe getting the front foot properly on C/L?  Thanks.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard