Author Topic: 2020 wings versus a possible supply limit of 2021 wings  (Read 3467 times)

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
2020 wings versus a possible supply limit of 2021 wings
« on: November 30, 2020, 11:29:08 AM »
Hi I'm looking to get a wing and trying to figure out what to get. Zero wing experience but I windfoil and kitefoil. Here in Canada I won't use it till the spring.  I can get a 2020 model of something like the F-One Swing now.  I could wait till the winter or spring for a 2021, but last year things were hard to come by and some good brands might not be here in Canada till much later in the summer.  I could more easily get a new "knock-off" brand wing (without naming names, I'm referring to the wings from non-windsports companies who are all jumping in). 

Does anyone have an opinion on how a well-liked wing like the 2019/2020 F-One Swing would compare to some of the other less well known brands who are coming to market?  Is this the kind of thing where there are lots of fine details that get optimized through a lot of testing and windsport history, or can any company draw up a design, send the specs to China and come up with a decent 2021 model which is as good as the brand-name ones they were trying to copy and improve upon?

Thanks,
Peter

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 wings versus a possible supply limit of 2021 wings
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 01:01:13 PM »
Just make sure the brand you choose will fully support you in case you have problems with your new wing (explosion or other kind of problems).
And between a 2020 F one Swing and a non-windsport brand 2021 wing that has no feedback i would stick to F One.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 01:05:50 PM »
There are lots of relatively new wings you can purchase right now in Canada -- Slingshot V2, Cabrinha V2, Air Rush (Starboard), Armstrong and Duotone (V2 Echo).   There are lots more to come (North).

In the video below taken at the Sand Banks, Picton, Ontario (Lake Ontario) you will see the following wings in action;  Slingshot V2, F-One, Air Rush, Armstrong, Ozone Wasp and North.  All are available right now, except the North.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr375YDnry4

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 01:16:06 PM by deja vu »

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 01:15:08 PM »
If you are from Silent Sports (which I assume from the video), can you PM me?  I see a number of wings on your site but I'm not sure I see any V2 models in around 5m which are in stock.  Or where are you seeing new generation wings around 5m in stock?

Thanks,
Peter

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 01:17:01 PM »
If you’re not going to use it for a few months I’d wait and watch the used market for a big name brand wing. Or just buy new when you’re almost ready to use. Still new enough to progress quickly between generations at this point.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 01:18:42 PM »
I have bought a lot of windsurfing and now wind foiling and wing foiling equipment from Silent Sports over the years (I'm not affiliated with them in any way except as a consumer).  The Air Rush, Armstrong and Slingshot V2 wings were released only a few months ago.  The Cabrinha V2 is pretty much brand new.  All the wings shown in the video are carried by Silent Sports.  Give Rob a call (he's in the video) at the store and he'll give you some good advice.

Boardsports in Toronto carry the Duotone wings (Echo V2 and Unit).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 01:27:52 PM by deja vu »

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 02:42:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies above.  My main interest here was whether other newer brands coming to market are able to copy and keep up with the bigger older brands or whether they are a generation behind the others.  Does anyone else have thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Peter

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 03:01:37 PM »
west coast Canadian here.  If you aren't going to use it for 6 months, I'd wait.  Things are moving fast, many companies are just releasing Gen2, some may be into Gen3 by the time you jump in -- and more upgrading means more used stuff available. Right not, it's fairly rare to see things used and the prices are high. 

On brand/quality, my opinion is you'd be better off with one of last year's top models vs a new cheapie no-name.  In first gen, I figured they are low-tech and all the same, bought a lower tier model and regretted it...heavy and floppy.  The Gen2's came out really quick and some brands had completely different design ... i.e., first gen was pretty clearly a fail.   Kind of like kiting, I suspect we'll see some quality convergence soon, with all of them copying each other's designs for what works, and all the bigger name brands having equivalently solid gear.  Maybe it's already getting there.

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 07:01:58 PM »
Wait till April or May.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 06:49:37 AM »
I think you're better off to make a choice early in the new year and talk to the retailers and put your order in before they order for the spring.  If 2021 is like 2020 you may have to wait for months to get anything unless your order is in the first batch -- I waited for months in 2020.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 11:03:51 AM »
I would keep looking for a good deal on a well respected used wing and snatch one up.  And if you want to sell do so in the spring without much of a loss.  That way covered and don't have to sit on the sidelines.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal