Author Topic: Gopro Max 360 and upwind 360’s  (Read 4489 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Gopro Max 360 and upwind 360’s
« on: June 03, 2020, 03:18:21 AM »
I know the fisheye look of POV action cams can be somewhat irritating but they sure are easy to use. In wide mode my GoPro 7 still misses a lot of perspective when boom mounted. Even more so when helmet or body mounted. So I made a very first (meaning I’m still clueless) try with a Gopro Max 360 cam mounted on a quick-and dirty extension pole mounted to my boom. Should easily work with handles too. I know the typical thing is to mount a 360 cam on a selfie pole attached to a waist harness, and wing tip mounts are getting popular as well (next on my try list). Anyway my boom extension is way crude with no invisible selfie stick and a safety lanyard flapping away in the shot, but it was still fun as a first try. Seems like “reframing” is the real power of 360 cams

My last two transitions in the clip are sorta like an upwind 360 attempt. Ok, not really since I hand switch like a regular heel-to-toe tack 180 and then just continue right into a jibe to make it a 360. The very last one came out pretty smooth  :D.  Klaas Vogel (team rider for Duotone/Fanatic, and my favorite rider) does a proper upwind 360 where he never does a hand switch with the wing during the transition. Instead he  just pushes the clew of the wing right through the eye of the wind. It’s the coolest thing. That’s my 2020 season goal, along with better looking 360 cam video,....and some ocean riding! And I need to figure out how to extract GPS data from my GoPro to see how fast I’m going….. :o

https://youtu.be/Gv8v0uJsK7E
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:20:11 AM by obxDave »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Gopro Max 360 and upwind 360’s
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 03:50:57 AM »
I like that view

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 06:13:54 AM »
That's a pretty  8) view. Irritating never comes to mind. In this case I don't mind getting the short end of the stick(or the extension pole in your case) :D
in progress...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 06:49:58 AM »
Yeah man, you’re on the right track. Just get the right pole mount and that angle will work fine.

360 is going to change action cameras just like the Hero did. Reframing is gonna make so much possible. Think of winging with a buddy. You can show yourself. Then re-edit the whole thing to show your buddy. Crazy!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 04:22:21 PM »
The GoPro Max is truly a game changer they don't even market how effective it is.

The fact that 2 lenses are giving a near perfect Global perspective is just crazy.  When you switch from side to side the Horizon stays level.  The camera is going beyond steadycam it is just digitally stabilizing the image in both North/South orientation and Horizon Level.

How are you editing?  I am a windows guy.  The editing can take hours to put together a few minutes.  Really maddening. 

I know that Apple products can produce what you made but Buyer Beware - Don't think you're going to buy a camera get the results shown above without some significant post-production efforts.

PS: You can just post to Youtube and let it do all the fancy Global Views.  This is as far as I have gotten with editing. 

Here is a 360 View with functionality on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ewhmSvfeec

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 04:44:47 PM »
It is fantastic technology.  If applied and edited properly, it can be amazing but I find a lot of the videos I see a bit cartoonish and unwatchable. 

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 04:46:50 PM »
Thats a great POV obxDave!  How far away is the camera on your pole?  You can pretty much see everything you're doing ... i.e. Where your feet are, and how and when you move them. What your arms and hands postions are, and how and when you move them.  The audio was also seemed to be pretty good too, the wind
didn't drown out everyting because you can hear squeaking from moving your hands on the boom. You should try talking to see how well the micophone picks it up.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 05:35:02 PM »
How are you editing?  I am a windows guy.  The editing can take hours to put together a few minutes.  Really maddening. 

I know that Apple products can produce what you made but Buyer Beware - Don't think you're going to buy a camera get the results shown above without some significant post-production efforts.

PS: You can just post to Youtube and let it do all the fancy Global Views.  This is as far as I have gotten with editing. 

Here is a 360 View with functionality on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ewhmSvfeec

That’s cool!  Had no idea you could do that. I just do the reframing in the GoPro app on my IPad Pro, then I will render the video and save it in my photos folder. At that point I treat it like any non-360 video clips I have and do a final edit using LumaFusion (also on my IPad Pro). It’s an extra step but the reframing process in the GoPro app is actually pretty easy.  I can even use Gopro app to clip out all useless stuff and just render the stuff I want to use. I might use just a few minutes from 60 minutes of captured video. 

They just added 60 fps at 1080p for 360 mode in a firm ware update which should be cool for some slo mo. Haven’t tried super wide Hero mode with horizon level with MaxHypersmoothyet. They say it really works great.

I’ve got some other crazy things I’d like to try, like mounting the Max on a (tall enough) tripod where I wing foil (only about 4 ft deep)l and do some close-in transitions using the camera like a buoy mark. I could use reframing to capture the transition around the camera  :D

Thats a great POV obxDave!  How far away is the camera on your pole?  You can pretty much see everything you're doing ... i.e. Where your feet are, and how and when you move them. What your arms and hands postions are, and how and when you move them.  The audio was also seemed to be pretty good too, the wind
didn't drown out everyting because you can hear squeaking from moving your hands on the boom. You should try talking to see how well the micophone picks it up.
The camera is about 22” farther back than I would normally mount it at the rear of the Duotone boom. The biggest thing I worry about is crashing in a way  where the camera would smack hard into the board. It pretty exposed back there, but so far so good.....The Max has something like 6 microphones spread over the body. I don’t pay too much attention to audio for this activity but I guess I’ll have to listen closer. Reviewers say audio quality is a big plus for the Max
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 05:37:57 PM by obxDave »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 05:45:05 PM »
It is fantastic technology.  If applied and edited properly, it can be amazing but I find a lot of the videos I see a bit cartoonish and unwatchable.

I’ve never been a fan of the 360  “globe view”. Even in my first edit I reframed to get a straight and level horizon. If it was practical I’d put the camera even farther behind the boom to get rid of more of the fisheye, but it starts to get in the way of handling the wing :o

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 06:10:49 PM »
That’s cool!  Had no idea you could do that. I just do the reframing in the GoPro app on my IPad Pro, then I will render the video and save it in my photos folder. At that point I treat it like any non-360 video clips I have and do a final edit using LumaFusion (also on my IPad Pro). It’s an extra step but the reframing process in the GoPro app is actually pretty easy.  I can even use Gopro app to clip out all useless stuff and just render the stuff I want to use. I might use just a few minutes from 60 minutes of captured video. 

I might have to confiscate my kids Macbook Pro's or Ipad and try this. 

Here was another video I shot from a wave at Mavericks.  This was a 15 foot takeoff and you can pan around before and after the takeoff.  The audio is very clear.  You can hear me "Oh do you really want this" and screaming all along as the wave softened and then re-formed into a 10 footer 400 yards further down wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRoH6MVWZTM

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 07:17:51 PM »
The biggest problem with shooting video is that you have to edit it. The way serious video is shot is that the cameraman is responsible for getting what the director wants. We fakers shoot a whole bunch of random shit and try to get something usable. The serious way requires a huge amount of work upfront, the amateur or sports/documentary video way takes a huge amount of work on the back end.

If you're doing the amateur way (we all are) then you need editing software that can make its way through tons of crap and help you splice the good stuff together in a useful way. The camera you choose can't really solve that--especially 3d or multi-lens--you just get more shit to work through. If you get a 4K camera your speed and storage requirements just increased by a factor of ten. I got one of the first 360 cams (3 lenses radially mounted and stitching software) and promptly gave it away.

I have windows, mac and linux computers in various form factors. And here's a simple fact. If you want to edit amateur video meaning lots of stuff that's junk and a few pearls, you need a Mac. Scream and cry all you like, call me a fanboy (as if I give a shit who made the computer--they're like belly buttons to me) video is edited on Macs the world around. If you're doing it on a windows machine I don't care what the spec is, the software sucks--because no one uses it at a serious level.

Even editing software that works on both Mac and PC is better on the mac. Why? I don't know.

Amateur level: Screenflow (Mac only) Filmora (mac and PC, sucks on Windows)
Pro level: Adobe Premier Pro (mac and PC, awful on both but powerful, mac marginally better), Final Cut Pro (mac--incredibly fast and smooth. Painfully expensive and you need a really good Mac to make it go), Da Vinci Resolve (mac and PC, sort of. I don't think it was designed for either, but it's way better on a mac. It has some Unix flavors).

All this is academic to me, I fucked around with it way too much and gave away all my stuff. I'm not patient enough to edit video, I suck at it, and I don't want to get better. I'll watch yours, thanks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 02:34:58 AM »
All this is academic to me, I fucked around with it way too much and gave away all my stuff. I'm not patient enough to edit video, I suck at it, and I don't want to get better. I'll watch yours, thanks.

Think of it this way Bill. I get a waaaay better feel for someone’s riding experience on a particular day watching 90 seconds of the most basic (even rough looking)  barely edited video then I ever got from the most carefully scripted, elegant/humorous verbal description. Not that there is anything wrong with a verbal description............ and I’m sure all that keyboard typing takes some work as well. It’s really just slap the Gopro on the helmet, boom or what ever, and download a few clips. Heck, I do everything on this gloried tablet with a touch screen, and current software/hardware (editing power and ease) is nothing like the cumbersome stuff from even just a few years ago. Been there, done that.  And  now we have self follow drones and 360 cams. This is the coolest stuff! I think you’re missin out......(if you ever decide to come play on the OBX, give me a shout and I’ll be your camera crew for a day :) )

I might have to confiscate my kids Macbook Pro's or Ipad and try this. 

Here was another video I shot from a wave at Mavericks.  This was a 15 foot takeoff and you can pan around before and after the takeoff.  The audio is very clear.  You can hear me "Oh do you really want this" and screaming all along as the wave softened and then re-formed into a 10 footer 400 yards further down wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRoH6MVWZTM

I didn’t realize just how nice the audio was on these GP Max’s. Just listening to your breathing I was getting tired! And I noticed a wee bit of that GL wing humming. You must be getting a seriously intense foil pumping workout.......Understand completely; I try and pathetically pump 20 ft and just about die, hence the wing in my hands :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 02:42:50 AM by obxDave »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 07:09:48 AM »
The biggest problem with shooting video is that you have to edit it. The way serious video is shot is that the cameraman is responsible for getting what the director wants. We fakers shoot a whole bunch of random shit and try to get something usable. . . . .

OBXDave - This is Pono's way of complementing you.  His posts are often maddening, a touch insulting but informative and mostly right. 

Be happy!  I asked a friend living in Dallas if he had a GoPro he said "Beasho there is nothing in my life worth GoPro'ing."

I started making "Videos that don't Suck!" 30 years ago.  8 mm, then Hi-8, then Digital 8 then Flip Camera and finally GoPro.  Spent a ton on editing equipment reel-to-reel then software when things went non-linear.  Rendering time for a 3 minute video could take 8 hours.  Upgrading PC's.  Upgrading editing capability from 640X480 to 720P to 1080P to 4K and now 360 (which has temporarily broken my committment).

To make a "Video that didn't suck" required a MINIMUM of 3 hours editing for every 1 minute of video.  I still think this is true today.

There are a few Video Master Jedi's out there:  Clay, SupTheCreek, DailyBread (stunning location and friends with skills) and more recently OkiWild who have the combination of 1) Great Content 2) Great Video Equipment 3) The commitment to film  4) The patience and skill to sift through the crap and give us the gems.

I convinced more than one person to start SUP'ing with Thank the Laird.  At the time it was cutting edge.

* Paddle Cam's were unheard of
* GoPro @ 720 P
* Big Waves (Up to 12 feet in this video) with selfie - This was anathema on a SUP.
* Riding and laughing with Friends

Today the introduction is too slow, resolution low, no drone and people will not watch to the end.

Youtube, Cellphone video and Cellphone displays have rewarded The Buckshot Approach

Everyone with a video posting every random observation and 1 in 100,000 is really cool for 15 seconds.  No one (other than me) cares if it is in 4K.

I spent 15 hours on this video 10 years ago.

PS: Keep charging and Filming Please!
PSS: I ordered my wingding yesterday and your video was catalyst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIp9vfhLDE

« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 07:18:15 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 07:37:47 AM »
Shameless re-post of 2 decade old footage with 3 decade old music - you old guys might remember the Ultronz.

Combined video from Nantucket, New Jersey, California Rio Vista, Davenport, Waddell Creek, Scott's Creek, Hood River's Hatchery.  All Hi8 and Digital 8 sourced.

I did manage to eventually land those forwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbdQWy9ZShA

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 07:59:56 AM »
Ultronz are still around. I saw them in Maui a couple of years ago when some lady I didn't know flew them over for her birthday party at Charlie's (I crashed it) and they still play at Manzanita every so often. Mike Ehlen (sax) is an old friend. If he's not doing wing foiling I need to get him going at it. He would be great at it, he's really good at anything he does in the water.

I love the videos everyone does, I watch them all, I just don't have the patience to do them myself, and I really suck at editing. I write on autopilot and I type faster than I think. Editing video is work, writing is not.

I still have more drone stuff than most folks, probably a dozen in various states of assembly, including an Aspire2 with HD and 5K cameras. I haven't even looked at it this year. I'm a geek, I like to make things. Drones don't need me anymore--they went past my level of competence at mach 6 and do things I only dreamed of.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 08:11:02 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal