Author Topic: Sunova Flow 2.0 ?  (Read 4524 times)

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Sunova Flow 2.0 ?
« on: June 02, 2020, 07:51:29 AM »
Have been considering a Flow for awhile now, and just now see on Sunova website that there is a version 2.0 (Flow | Casey). Anybody have any intel on the 2.0 Flow? The website says it now has a step deck, but doesn't have their normal shaping bay video where BB talks about the shape. Is this even a board for mere mortal surfers?
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sunova Flow 2.0 ?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 10:12:06 AM »
The breeze has a thread on them with some tidbits. I'm not sure any are in the hands of buyers yet, but orders are in so you might see some reviews soon.
https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/new--design---Sunova-flow-?page=2

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 03:52:24 PM »
justsomeguy...

just take all the things you like and go custom through Genration or Sunova. (or here with Supthecreek)

All these designs are evolving.  I fail to see why any sup design doesnt have a step deck for waves under head high. 

If there was no COVID I could have just asked James personally- I was supposed to be on a boat trip with him this week in the Maldives :(

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 08:13:09 AM »
NJS … Thanks for the suggestion on going custom. Sorry to hear your trip got called off, that's gotta be disappointing. I've been weighing taking a trip to Costa Rica vs. getting a new board, but with the travel restrictions don't know if/when a trip might even be a possibility. Yeah I know, first world problems.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 02:16:11 PM »
All these designs are evolving.  I fail to see why any sup design doesnt have a step deck for waves under head high.

Hey NJS, hope all is well. Can you explain further on your opinion of the step deck for waves under head high?

Thanks
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 07:40:49 PM »
hi someguy!

I finally heard from Marcus Tardrew, the shaper who has been working with James Casey on this design. (time zones slow down communication)
Since I always suspected that this board is more of a re-purposed Flash, than a Flow, I asked him.

Here is what Marcus said about the Flow 2.0:

This project started as a small wave Flash.
It’s freakishly quick

Stepped rails
Slight concave nose to tail
Round tail

Has a heap of squirt and works from tiniest waves you can catch to head and halfish.

Yeah rails are waaaaaaayyyyy thinner.
The sizes are totally new and don’t relate at all to the old model.
Tail is probably wider at 12” but isn’t rounded square like the flow.

So, good mix of area, but still works into bigger waves with the rounded tail.

While I was waiting, I took available pictures and worked up a few comp pics (sorry... 2 days and I can't get a picture to upload... even at 165 KB   :(

I hope this helps!

and as NJz said.... Sunova is happy to work on a custom for only 10% above stock prices.
They do amazing work and will really work with you to get everything perfect for you.

Email me with any questions, or keep asking here... hopefully I can help!

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 07:20:47 AM »
The comp pix I worked out

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 08:32:43 AM »
Yo JSG,

I borrowed a Flow for a couple of weeks last fall from a local Sunova fan and ripper here on the Seacoast of NH.  The board was for sale. I found it to surf great in small conditions and less then ideal conditions but it was so sticky on the paddle out I thought I had suction cups on the bottom. Now I was not in the greatest of shape at the time and had recently had a partial knee replacement so I thought "well it's probably me" and kept using it but the feeling and slowness never went away. So I asked a few folks and got the same feedback. I would want to have confirmation that issue has been addressed.

I forget exactly what size it was an 8'8" or there abouts.
New England Is My Playground

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 04:20:22 PM »

Hey NJS, hope all is well. Can you explain further on your opinion of the step deck for waves under head high?

Thanks

Sure LB- In my experience the stepped deck does two things- keeps the engaged part of the rail in the water small , and just as importantly keeps width down when keeping volume.

One of the hardest things about SUP is getting such a huge board in the pocket of a wave....its only so big!

So sure on monster waves thats not that much of an issue, but on the waves we surf here in NJ. Being a bigger guy- a 120-130L board under 8'5 means in a traditional shape seeing a board that could be up to 32 in wide.

32 simply doesnt fit into the critical part of a waist/chest high wave. 28/29 does. Its an amazing difference that little makes I have found.

Im down to two boards. The Genration Wedge @ 28.5 inches wide for clean days and a 'new to me' l41 ST with stepped rails and 30 in wide for smaller or choppier days. (but as you saw a few swells ago- im prone surfing much more these days too which has influenced some board shedding)

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 03:18:02 AM »
Yo JSG,

I borrowed a Flow for a couple of weeks last fall from a local Sunova fan and ripper here on the Seacoast of NH.  The board was for sale. I found it to surf great in small conditions and less then ideal conditions but it was so sticky on the paddle out I thought I had suction cups on the bottom. Now I was not in the greatest of shape at the time and had recently had a partial knee replacement so I thought "well it's probably me" and kept using it but the feeling and slowness never went away. So I asked a few folks and got the same feedback. I would want to have confirmation that issue has been addressed.

I forget exactly what size it was an 8'8" or there abouts.

Hi NEplay
The rail curve at the sidebites on the Flow makes it yaw quite a bit, so it isn't a great paddler.
I always felt it caught waves easily because of the width between the sidebites and the squash tail.
But... overall, except for the stability, I was never a big fan of the Flow.

I have a Flash, with very flat rocker that is soooo much better, I am hoping this 2.0 surfs more like that.

Marcus is super excited about this new shape, so it might just have some magic :-)

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 11:53:58 AM »
STC … Thanks for taking the time to put together the great side-by-side visuals. I should probably find out what Spunky has in the shop to actually see & touch.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 12:05:20 PM by justsomeguy »

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM