Author Topic: Whistle repair  (Read 3443 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Whistle repair
« on: June 02, 2020, 03:40:40 AM »
Hi Guys,

Our Axis 920 recently got some scrapes on the wing tips and on bottom.  Nothing on the top or the trailing edge.  Found some rocks in an unexpected place.  Nothing on any other foil parts.  The foil still works great but I developed a maddening whistle.  So, I heard that I could sand the wingtips safely and I did that.  They look and feel great but I am still a whistler.  My question.  Can I sand the bottom surface as well and if so how much?  How much material am I dealing with above the foam?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 03:56:36 AM by Admin »

GL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Whistle repair
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 05:41:10 AM »
I do not have axis foils but I've done the same thing to my foils numerous times. Rather than sand it I use automotive spot putty then lightly wet sand it spray painted and it's turned out perfect every time. I would suggest doing that rather than sanding down the foil. I'm assuming the scratches aren't too deep.

GL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 05:43:02 AM »
I do not have axis foils but I've done the same thing to my foils numerous times. Rather than sand it I use automotive spot putty then lightly wet sand it spray painted and it's turned out perfect every time. I would suggest doing that rather than sanding down the foil. I'm assuming the scratches aren't too deep.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 06:56:24 AM »
Welcome to Hell.

That’s why I won’t buy a brand known to whistle. Axis is a brand I’ve never had whistle, even though we all use our foils as depth gauges. To the point the tips are ground off and expose the white foam core and need repair. A windsurf foiler spent all Winter here riding a Moses foil that was completely annihilated by oyster beds from his home spot. Every time he passed me, it was completely silent.

So, sanding the bottom....no way it’s that. Mine look like shit and don’t whistle. You’re about to go on a hunt that will drive you crazy.  ;D

My slingshot windsurfing foil, with all those nutty extra holes, never whistled, then one day it whistled very loud. I sanded trailing edges like the how to videos showed. Still whistled. Felt around every edge with my hand real careful, found the slightest rough spot tiny nick on the trailing edge of the stabilizer. Sanded it, went away. Then Jacky’s slingshot windsurf foil started whistling out of the blue. Never was able to solve that mystery.

Buy a new wing....haha. But first swap stabs to make sure you know which wing is doing it, front or rear. Or even fuse is doing it.

Yep, welcome to foil Hell. For those that say they don’t mind it, you’re insane!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:10:29 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 07:32:29 AM »
Thanks guys.  This is definitely a result of misuse.  This same kit never made a peep until we found bottom.  I will swap the wing on to another fuselage and tail to be sure that that is the cause (but everything else is really clean).  There is one deeper (but still shallow) scrape on the bottom.  Any harm in sanding there?  I am not worried about the appearance but the whistling might make me crazy.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 07:57:00 AM »
You mean they aren't supposed to whistle? My 920/340 is whistling so loud it's vibrating the board. The only reason that bothers me is that I know it's taking energy, otherwise, I kind of like it--it's like a Stuka dive bomber.

Mine started when I moved the foil all the way forward and removed the shims on the bottom plate. It also got harder to get the foil up off the water. I'm going to fix the latter issue, and if it decreases the whistle at the same time that would be OK, but not worth effort on its own.

Admin's concern about whistling is a ploy to mask the fact that he wants his gear to look like he just removed the plastic wrap from it all the time. I've never seen him put anything away without putting a closely form-fitting cover on every part. He probably takes it all out and sanitizes it when he gets home. It's the little scratches that are driving him nuts. Easy fix, give the wing a light spray with clear acrylic--preferably satin finish but anything works. It makes it look brand new without sanding. And yes, of course, I know the sleaziest way to spruce the wings up--and never bother doing it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 09:45:43 AM »
I've never seen him put anything away without putting a closely form-fitting cover on every part. He probably takes it all out and sanitizes it when he gets home.

To your point, please find exhibit A below. If you look carefully you will see an integrated vacuum just to the right of the foil assemblies (which are, of course, properly covered).  Now there's a feature worth paying for. 

While I have you, Oscar, please consider my whistle.  It is bad enough that it whistles but the whistle also reminds me of those scratches and that is unbearable.  You know I am not going to spray anything on my foil.  Can I sand it a little?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:53:37 AM by Admin »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 11:01:40 AM »
My Go Foils howl like train whistles coming through. I finally gave up trying to figure wth to do to get them to stop. So now I just tell anyone who bitches about it, that it's an early warning alert that when you hear it....GTFO of my way, I'm coming through!!!  :o ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 11:17:15 AM »
Sure you can sand it, but it won't do anything. The whistle is caused by vibration of the trailing edge of the foil, the leading edge might vibrate too, but it's so stiff that the frequency would be well above what a dog could hear. You can try block sanding a slight bevel into the trailing edge for both the main wing and stabilizer or block sand the trailing edges to be a crips 90 degree. Either might work. Ear plugs would work best.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 11:41:36 AM »
Easy fix, give the wing a light spray with clear acrylic--preferably satin finish but anything works. It makes it look brand new without sanding. And yes, of course, I know the sleaziest way to spruce the wings up--and never bother doing it.
Wish mine would have been that easy. Was flying in and still well away from the shallows when I feel the wing bump something (32" masts aren't the things to be doing this with apparently :-\), but not even enough to throw me off or even slow the board down much at all...so just kept flying a few more feet until I got set 'er down gently.

Once on the sand I flipped her over to find a nice racing stripe (crack?) from just behind the leading edge to just in front of the trailing...but at that point it was difficult to see just how deep or bad it might be. A little sanding in the garage told the whole story...
     :'(

Some glass, some paint, a little clear coat...

...and we'll see if that stops the whistling. ;) ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 11:50:07 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 07:45:12 AM »
The new GoFoil wings are lovely and light, but absent some really expensive construction, light means fragile. Maybe a graphene sandwich would hold up better.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 02:58:53 PM »
Incidentally, my wing started whistling really badly when I moved my foil forward in the tracks. I removed two washers I had as shims at the same time. My pump starts went to shit and the board started sounding like a poorly played calliope (query: Is there any such thing as a well-played calliope??).

I shimmed the base plate with a temporary hard carboard shim. I might be still on there when we pack for Maui in November since it both ended the whistling and drastically improved my starting pumping.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 03:57:21 AM »
I used some Scothbrite pads to clean up the foil (well, half of it - the wind interrupted my progress) .  In the process of doing that my pad caught on a tiny burr on the trailing edge about an inch off the fuselage.  So small that I hadn't noticed it but I cleaned it up. That little nick or my general cleanup must have been my issue because I am whistle free again.   Pretty happy with that because yesterday was another awesome day in a growing string of awesome days.   We are seeing quite a few wingers now.  Mostly kite foilers that have taken the plunge but a few fresh starters as well.  Very cool to see.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 08:16:35 AM »
I was whistle-free yesterday too. That was great, perfect conditions that just kept getting better (I've forgotten the name for that stupid writing error, how do you improve on perfect? Next I'll be typing "extremely unique").

I dreamed about foiling last night, and work up knowing that I need to start switching feet, back and forth, while I'm mowing between failed jibe attempts. I've been doing a lot of direction changes and swooping, but now it's footwork that has me flummoxed.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 08:24:41 AM »
Kite hydrofoil Miami posted this today. Really good.

https://youtu.be/6rcCk8bAF10

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM