Author Topic: Works of Primitive Man  (Read 2110 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Works of Primitive Man
« on: May 31, 2020, 10:02:24 PM »
I'm in awe of eDub's work--no matter how I disciplined myself (not gonna happen) I'd never be able to do his level of quality. For example, consider the handle I just put into the bottom of my Flying Dutchman wingfoil board.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Works of Primitive Man
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 03:48:20 AM »
Did you make that handle from scratch?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 09:39:50 AM »
Mark Raaphost did, many years ago. I think it was originally for my hollow 17.5' Bullet V1. I think I changed my mind after I ordered the board and told Mark I wanted a handle. As I recall he didn't write it down (his memory is almost as bad as mine) so he gave me the handle to install myself. I never did it, and it somehow migrated to Hood River.

I made a similar handle just screwing around--vacuum bagged it on a very simple male mold, but I could never get it to stop leaking.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 09:13:25 PM »
You know I always back your hack jobs. What’s the explanation of these. For example the crazy carbon over lap, was that part of the handle or your lap? And then what’s the red, resin? It almost looks like a vinyl patch.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 08:13:59 AM »
The handle is a single layer of carbon with a layer of what looks like veil on the back side. It had a nice, wide flange and if I'd just epoxied it in place I wouldn't have had to do anything more, but I Gorilla Glued it, because, well, because. So I did a single layer of carbon over the handle, partly to close pinholes and partly because, well, because. The red is just paint intended to cover the ugly. I'm not certain that worked as hoped.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 05:57:37 AM »
Does anyone else go right to the opening scenes and musical theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey when they read the title of the thread? Bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, bum, ta...da...da...TA DA! OK, for the musically literate it's really Richard Strauss's Also sprach Zarathustra  but no one has accused me of that lately.

I love it Bill. Composite work next to aluminum tape. Who says you can't have both?

Working on my first board in almost two years and forgetting what goes where and when. At least I have a motivated helper in my daughter who desperately wants it finished now that we have good weather.

http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 08:43:09 AM »
For all these years I thought it was "Thus Sprach Zarathustra", turns out I was wrong. That would be Friedrich Nietzsche's book title and even that is "Thus Spake Zarathustra". Oh, well. I spent quite a few years pronouncing "ominous" as "onimous" until my sister delightedly corrected me and started calling me Mr. Onimous. Tough crowd.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 09:31:32 AM »
Truth be told I 'googled' it from a sheet music site. I am not that literate either.
Using the simple past tense 'spake' seems pretty old-fashioned but I can see it coming from a translation.
I would not worry Bill. We all know you are more fun than the people who'd be trying to bust your chops for that.

I tried making a handle like that too from a mold but always has some sort of failure: too much vacuum sucking out the resin or pinholes in the corners. Just threw the mold out a couple weeks ago.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal