Author Topic: Has the COVID crisis sparked a renaissance of Stand Up Paddleboarding?  (Read 7905 times)

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Has the COVID crisis sparked a renaissance of Stand Up Paddleboarding?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »
Yes indeed. Case in point...me! I was looking for something to do while nursing a hamstring injury. The local reservoir opened in May 2020 after being closed for years. The pandemic allowed me to practice every day. So since early June, I've paddled every day with only a few exceptions. I'm hooked!
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 01:06:13 PM »
Here in Santa Cruz there are definitely more surfers in the water,
and, maybe, a few more SUP surfers.  I would say, yeah a few more SUP surfers -
just an increase of a couple is a 100% increase!
 8)
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2020, 01:44:46 PM »
Good for you, Robert.  ...if anybody deserves a break.  I have seen more inflatos 'bayside'.  'Paddling the wrong side of the paddle' has been replaced with paddlers who do not tend to lean into the paddle.  They and the rotomolded kayakers almost always head downwind on a breezy day rather than go around a point to paddle in a wind shadow. Losta overweight geezers on e-bikes seen at the federal/state park. 

There is a cluster of local kids about 11-13 that can take a day 'when nobody is out' and slaughter the shorepound.  Last time over, 3 boys/2 girls just did about every trick in the book ~50' from shore.  Fins first - headstands - spinners - noserides ...all just having more fun than any human could expect.  One little girl would give a 1sec 'Shriek!' at a peak forming.  They're likely too young to know how fortunate they are.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

supthecreek

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2020, 07:09:15 PM »
Great coverage Robert! You earn your luck, and it's nice to see this story expanding your exposure!

I just did a half hour interview with a German SUP Shop that is going full tilt since CoVid opened the door of opportunity for socially distanced activity like SUP.
The owner and I share the same ideas on how to help this resurgence head in a user friendly direction.

IMO, a "do over" is here for SUP... hopefully we don't let it pass unnoticed  :)

Robert, I was very stoked to see the style of boards that were landing on the customers racks.... perfect!  :)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2020, 06:24:35 AM »
This upbeat news story originally ran on KHON news, this is a longer edit of the story about the Blue Planet Surf Shop that was featured on Sports People Hawaii, a TV show on Oceanic Channel 16.  The Stand Up Paddleboard business has been thriving during the pandemic.  . . . . .
https://youtu.be/GRZrdB-fvGc

Great story Robert and couldn't happen to a better guy.  Glad you are prospering and helping others to get their heads on straight as well.

PS: I might have seen a quick clip of my/your 6'6" Blue Planet (Red) foil board at the end.

Kip

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2020, 08:50:12 AM »
I’m new to SUP (my interest wasn’t  sparked by COVID) but that definitely happened up here in the PNW this summer! The lakes were packed with new inflatables, inventory was out at the local shop as well as Costco, and there was nothing on Craigslist or OfferUp. Every used board I sold was gone in a week! Someone drove 4.5 hours to buy my used 12’6” x 30 touring board and I barely lost any money.
(On a side note - the private party value of my truck increased by thousands and I was able to sell that and get out of a big loan - crazy!).

Anyhow, I hope more folks get into it! Such a cool sport.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2020, 09:43:05 AM »
Definitely the harbor (where everyone learns to SUP) is packed with newbies on inflatable SUPs. I started about 14 years ago on a loaned ULI inflatable as well. I paddled it for months before I started eyeing an epoxy hard board. That started a whole progression of new boards as my skills increased and I got more in shape. This year the surf lineup has become very busy too. Even all the single-track and trails in the hills behind our house are busier with hiker's and mountain biker's. The surf shops are selling out, as well as the bike shops. The eBikes (as in, don't have to pedal) are in a crazy boom too. It's getting people out in the fresh air, experiencing life without much effort. Better than the watching TV on the couch or gaming:)   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2020, 10:35:42 AM »
In Europe the lockdowns and subsequent releases are causing a spike in outdoor activity. 

While I am sure the flat water sup is growing, not so much the sup surf.
But the number of surfers has exploded. 

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2020, 12:17:51 PM »
I agree. Big increase in the number of surfers in the water but SUP surfers here in Tofino not so much. The demographics are shifted towards university students who are “studying remotely” but surfing more than studying.

Cheers

Bob
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:21:32 PM by FRP »
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal