Author Topic: Building for durability  (Read 4159 times)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Building for durability
« on: May 29, 2020, 05:17:52 PM »
What are people's current thoughts on materials and methods to use to make a "ding proof" custom surf sup board. Keeping the weight down is a plus, but it doesn't have to be featherweight either.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Building for durability
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 05:26:59 PM »
DW has the most durable set up I've ridden. You can beat it like it owes you money

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 06:46:21 PM »
I know Dwight is on here and I certainly don't want to start any ill will, but I haven't personally found that to be true (on my dwight board) in the long run.   It was great for a long time, but many sessions in after lots of inadvertent paddle strikes, the innegra seems to have a propensity for pinholes.  I patched a lot of spots and rebuilt the nose a few times.   Most of my boards that get a lot of use end up with patches, so I'm not disappointed in the least. Probably Dwight has improved the glassing process quite a bit over the years since mine was made and overall I have been super happy with mine.  But it isn't the most durable board I have owned.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 08:19:38 PM »
Exiled, I’ve had pretty good luck with dual 6 Oz e-glass and epoxy.  I think this is because while sandwich boards are strong AF,  the factory boards don’t have the bounce that epoxy and glass do, to me. Also those nice paint jobs crack instead of flex. How crazy you looking to get? What kind of dings you getting? I hurt my boards in transit more than in the water.

For me the secret is to not make the skin too stiff. I’m betting that’s what that innegra and epoxy does for DW. Bounce.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 08:31:28 PM »
I know Dwight is on here and I certainly don't want to start any ill will, but I haven't personally found that to be true (on my dwight board) in the long run.   It was great for a long time, but many sessions in after lots of inadvertent paddle strikes, the innegra seems to have a propensity for pinholes.  I patched a lot of spots and rebuilt the nose a few times.   Most of my boards that get a lot of use end up with patches, so I'm not disappointed in the least. Probably Dwight has improved the glassing process quite a bit over the years since mine was made and overall I have been super happy with mine.  But it isn't the most durable board I have owned.
Which boards do you like and have been holding up against the sup foil beatings. What's the construction?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 08:38:03 PM »
Full PVC sandwich. Hit it, drop it on rocks, drag it around, and all you get is chipped paint. BUT, it will cost you $$$. It's light, but too stiff for me for surfing. I like a board to flex in a turn, and be able to pump it. The PVC sandwich boards lack that liveliness. An Innegra PVC sandwich would likely be fine, but probably still too stiff.

https://www.101surfsports.com/index.php/about-us/blog/320-who-makes-the-best-made-stand-up-paddleboards-in-the-world

If you have time to read, this article covers PVC sandwich composites.

https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/getting-to-the-core-of-composite-laminates
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:43:58 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 09:37:08 PM »
Had a JL rail and cracked board with a small hit on the deck and a huge crack on the rail when I fell in waves. That board dented just looking at it wrong and others with the same board had the same issues. Full sandwitch is only as good as the thickness, orientation and strength of the materials when talking impacts.
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 10:58:33 PM »
This is a sup I made. The bottom is PVC,innegra then flax wrapped all the way around the rail. Then a UD flax/carbon tape along the rail.
I made a load of test patches and the innegra flax was a winner. It doesn't crack or shatter like glass,even S-glass. Has to be vac bagged. Carbon innegra hybrid cloth is good as well.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 11:53:52 PM »
Had a JL rail and cracked board with a small hit on the deck and a huge crack on the rail when I fell in waves. That board dented just looking at it wrong and others with the same board had the same issues. Full sandwitch is only as good as the thickness, orientation and strength of the materials when talking impacts.
Sandwich mean nothing. PVC sandwich is $$$. I doubt your JL was a PVC sandwich. I have an old Naish Nalu 12 years old. PVC sandwich, never needed to be repaired. I had a Coreban Icon PVC sandwich. Hit the reef a ton of times. Never had to repair it once in 3 years. BUT it was too stiff.
It's not overhead to me!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 04:06:57 AM »
Tarquin, when you say PVC, what material do you mean? Like what brand/type and what thickness?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 04:23:29 AM »
PVC is generic for Divinycell and all the other foams like it.

BTW, sandwich can and does dent easy, when a builder is going for super light. 1/8” lighter grade PVC sandwich with single 4 oz skin. Funny thing, lighter is cheaper to built too. Add a strip of carbon tape somewhere and call it the carbon model for a lot more profit.

Anything is possible.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 05:15:51 AM »
Yes as DW said. Lots of companies make it. I think I used Airex,3mm,80kg. You have to heat it to bend it around the rails.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 08:19:36 AM »
The kicker of course, is "custom". The most durable boards are molded. Some company was making molded polycarbonate, which could actually be bulletproof if the poly was thick enough. I guess sooner or later someone will print a custom board with flaked graphene, but until then an innegra composite is probably as tough as you're going to find.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 09:00:40 AM »
This is a sup I made. The bottom is PVC,innegra then flax wrapped all the way around the rail. Then a UD flax/carbon tape along the rail.
I made a load of test patches and the innegra flax was a winner. It doesn't crack or shatter like glass,even S-glass. Has to be vac bagged. Carbon innegra hybrid cloth is good as well.
The flax is a really cool material. What a great application. I'm inspired.
It's not overhead to me!

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 11:29:33 AM »
Diab is not to far up the road so we picked up some 1/8" H60 and H80 for grins. Today, I decided to test the bag before laminating and wondered how the DV would react without making any release cuts...Dang this stuff compressed down. But, am I setting it up to delaminate?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal