Author Topic: To carbon or not to carbon(please help)  (Read 5803 times)

GRVN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: To carbon or not to carbon(please help)
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 08:25:53 AM »
One fatal flaw with the plan...where to find WIDE S glass. When SUP died, manufacturers stopping running it.

Hey dwight Your boards are 100Percent innegra right? I am guessing you vac bag them? They look great. Could I get away with innegra with a layer of 6oz glass over it and poor mans vacuum? What would a good innegra schedule be?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 08:36:05 AM »
Innegra cannot be sanded. It must be capped with another fabric. I do not recommend using it unless a pro. Way to difficult to work with.

GRVN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 09:20:24 AM »
I dont know what you consider a Pro. I am at hand laminating not at bagging. I have glassed for a living in my twenties.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 10:35:29 AM »
I have used innegra and you just have to be careful. As others have said DO NOT sand it. Not even just that little fiber that is sticking up! I have trimmed bits with a razor blade. On such a small board it should be fine by hand. Do a lap tape and glass straight over it.
 I haven't tried it but I thought if I wasn't bagging I would lay up the innegra with a lap tape cut then next layer straight away instead of a hot coat. Make sure you really overlap the innegra with the second layer. Then the poor man's vac and you should be good. As I said I havnt tried it.
 I also said on another post I made a board with a innegra flax bottom. It seems really tough. The flax dosnt crack or shatter like glass.
 Innegra seems to have some great properties. Impact etc. You just have to get your head around how to use it. Dont treat it like glass.
 If you look into how it's made they incorporate air into the fiber when they make it. Thats why it's so light.I think that's why it has a tendency to want to float if you use too much resin.

GRVN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 10:41:22 AM »
Thanks taquin I was planning on weting it out on a table laying it out and immediately covering it with 4oz scloth poor man vacing that over it or I will just use carbon IDK buidling surfboards was a lot simpler lol I am not sure what the best schedule for a foil sup is and honestly i dont care what I use anymore I just want it to last and be light

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 11:46:35 AM »
I am not sure but I would wait for the first layer to be tacky. Like that the epoxy has exothermed.
 You have a lot more experience than me in glassing!
 I have used S-glass and it's great. I cant see the point of using carbon unless you are going ultra light. S-glass is so much more impact and abrasion resistant than carbon.
 On a foil board I would imagine strengthening the area around the foil box etc is more important than having an all carbon board.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2020, 01:52:31 PM »
GRVN, innegra has plenty of spring back. A rail/lap test might be beneficial.

GRVN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 07:38:57 AM »
GRVN, innegra has plenty of spring back. A rail/lap test might be beneficial.

Sorry do you mean I should do a test bc i might not be able to tuck the laps properly? I will probably baste to tacky and hope for the best if I go that route.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 08:21:57 AM »
I don't think I would do Innegra without vacuum bagging unless it was just a full flat surface. My singe experience got ripped off the board and tossed outside to kick because it kept springing up off every curve and lifting the glass with it. I tried everything I could think of while the clock ticked. Even working it while it was tacky didn't keep it down.

If I was going to try again I'd do half a dozen test pieces before I did anything big. I need some hand planes anyway.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

GRVN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 09:29:53 AM »
Ok so what would be the schedule with sglass or with carbon and sglass?

Carbon 3k + 6s top and bottom

carbon patch + 3x6s top and 2x6s bottom?

I dont know what is the norm

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2020, 08:53:42 PM »
I’ll add to your question. What weight of carbon? 3k is the number of tows. I’d assume 6oz but interested myself.

GRVN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2020, 11:41:57 AM »
I ended up ordering the gong inflatable that came out today. Ill play with making these after my travels.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2020, 04:04:28 PM »
My last three boards are is 7.5oz +6oz glass with 6oz carbon 'stand patch'.
Two are for 'clydesdales' and the third rider is much lighter.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal