Author Topic: Super good day  (Read 6084 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Super good day
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2020, 06:18:25 AM »
TJ's wife got some great shots too. So you're saying we should have gone east, eh?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2020, 07:03:29 AM »
So you're saying we should have gone east, eh?

Looks like 5 days of Normal Nuts coming up.  25-35 and much less gusty.  That sounds dee-lightful.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2020, 09:15:25 AM »
Was getting everything ready to try my first winging Viento run yesterday morning on the 3.6 but at the last minute chickened out.
Had a fairly nice :o run on the surfski instead, so glad I didn't try it. Wouldn't even try it on the sup with this current

We saw a supfoil board sitting along the railroad tracks on the shuttle back to Viento. That coulda been a really unpleasant walk back for me as I always go barefoot.

Looking forward to the next week ;D

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2020, 09:37:12 AM »
Dan got some fantastic photos. 

Those are some of the best Gorge actions shots I've ever seen!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2020, 09:27:41 PM »
A few more good ones:

Yeah, it's a river. No, this doesn't happen every day, but it happens a lot.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:30:50 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2020, 06:47:39 AM »
Great shots. 

Did the guy get run over by the barge?

I wonder how often that happens?  I do recall staying well clear when they were coming down river. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2020, 08:07:12 AM »
I don't think so, I know it looked bad but I assume it was telephoto foreshortening.

I've been in that position once, many moons ago. I was distracted and didn't see the barge coming (surprise, surprise) until the sudden block to the wind made me fall. I looked back and saw nothing but barge. I tried to water start but the barge was blocking the wind very effectively. Just before I abandoned my gear and swam for it I got a little shot of wind that gave me 3/4ths of a water start and pushed me out of the way. I got to watch the barge go by up close and personal while a deck hand trotted along the length of it and called me a dickhead over and over. I think he might have been more scared than I was, though I was pretty much at the saturation level for scared shitless.

I still sometimes realize I haven't looked for barges. They are really not all that sneaky, there's no excuse for not spotting them other than being an idiot.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2020, 08:57:15 AM »
Great shots. 

I wonder how often that happens?  I do recall staying well clear when they were coming down river.

Have some old video somewhere of a winsurf rig being run over at Celilo while the guy swims out of the way. Also of him getting a ticket in the parking lot for obstructing commercial traffic. The barge came to a stop and actually backed up, then continued on and looked like it ran over it a second time.

First Wingsurf Viento run yesterday! Solid 3.6 7/8 of the way until Wells Island and rolling in the usual spots. So much fun I didn't even care that I had to paddle the last 150 yards to get in (how can it go from 25+ to 0-5 in half a mile  :o )

Looked like a classic setup but apparently too Southwesterly to fill in East of Wells late in the day.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2020, 09:14:47 AM »
The guy in red jersey is my longtime friend Bob. He winters at Alta, Ut. and summers in the gorge. Rough life. He just took up winging.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2020, 11:24:31 AM »
Great shots. 

Have some old video somewhere of a winsurf rig being run over at Celilo while the guy swims out of the way. Also of him getting a ticket in the parking lot for obstructing commercial traffic. The barge came to a stop and actually backed up, then continued on and looked like it ran over it a second time.

First Wingsurf Viento run yesterday! Solid 3.6 7/8 of the way until Wells Island and rolling in the usual spots. So much fun I didn't even care that I had to paddle the last 150 yards to get in (how can it go from 25+ to 0-5 in half a mile  :o )

Looked like a classic setup but apparently too Southwesterly to fill in East of Wells late in the day.

Wow, it usually takes them a long way to stop.

Back in the 80's or early 90's there were two windsurfers that went missing a year or so apart. Everyone assumed they got blendered by the tug behind the barge.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal