Author Topic: Memorial Day  (Read 1446 times)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Memorial Day
« on: May 25, 2020, 03:33:38 PM »
Memorial Day. We say thanks today for the many sacrifices made.

I just wanted to take pause and remember a friend and fellow Coast Guard who died while serving.

Michael K Luke. Michael was a great guy, a fellow recruit and the leader of our US Coast Guard boot camp Gulf Company in 1979. When things got tough for me in boot camp, he played a role motivating and inspiring me and many others in our company as we all figured out the stresses of basic training together. Michael had one obstacle in boot camp, he could not swim. Helping him learn to swim was indelible memory for me. With his determination (and good sense of humor) he did overcome his slight fear and got his swimming skills requirement accomplished in time to graduate.

June 1980 his Ship was sunk in St. Petersburg, Florida. A collision with a Tanker capsized the 180 foot long USCGC Blackthorn. Twenty three of the fifty man crew die that day. It was a tragic lost the Coast Guard won't forget, and an event that I won't forget ether.

Today is Memorial day and maybe you have someone you remember and might like to share something about. If so I'd like to listen/read.

I just want acknowledge my friend and his families, and all of many sacrifices made to keep our country safe. To all those I say Thank You, and somehow saying Thank You, is just is not enough.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 03:51:54 PM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 07:31:49 PM »
I think this video below says it all.

John Williams - "Hymn To The Fallen".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omd9_FJnerY
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal