Author Topic: BRM Wings  (Read 21370 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: BRM Wings
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 09:15:58 AM »
One of the 5 and one of the 6:

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 10:22:42 AM »
Thanks for posting!

I hit up Greg for a stock status of the 3, 4, and 5M.  Currently has the 5M.  Sold out on the 3 and 4 though end of next month. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2020, 03:32:50 AM »
I love it that Greg is so reductionist with his designs.  He really hit on a few elements that will hopefully inspire others to follow (at least with some models).  Two oversized, stiff or fully rigid handles.  Manageable wingspan.  Inflation system that allows a very stiff leading edge and strut without the fiddly tube.  You really have to feel these to appreciate the stiffness difference.  It is surprising and remarkable.   

I love the Swings but this looks like an upgrade in the 4, 3 and 2.2.  The 5.0 and 6 look odd to me.  Not sure about those.  It would be great to see those ones in use in some future BRM videos.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:34:26 AM by Admin »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2020, 05:18:19 AM »
By comparison, Naish wings look like they were done by committee where they simply voted to cover the strut with handles - to cover all bets.  Sitting in a chair leaning back, I can imagine that front handle set at an angle.  It will be interesting to hear reports from joe-average-customers. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2020, 08:34:20 AM »
That leading edge is huge. It could explain why the wind develops so much power for it's size, but it seems like it wouldn't depower as well as a wing with a smaller leading edge.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Lazz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2020, 01:00:46 PM »
I love it that Greg is so reductionist with his designs.  He really hit on a few elements that will hopefully inspire others to follow (at least with some models).  Two oversized, stiff or fully rigid handles.  Manageable wingspan.  Inflation system that allows a very stiff leading edge and strut without the fiddly tube.  You really have to feel these to appreciate the stiffness difference.  It is surprising and remarkable.   

I love the Swings but this looks like an upgrade in the 4, 3 and 2.2.  The 5.0 and 6 look odd to me.  Not sure about those.  It would be great to see those ones in use in some future BRM videos.

Admin, if the transfer hose is closed with the clamp   
you can ride the leading edge and the strut with different pressure, even if you ride the same pressure with a closed hose, the LE and the Strut don`t loose pressure if under dynamic load what leads to a stiffer frame.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2020, 01:14:32 PM »
I tried to order the 5M but just missed the last one.  Hopefully Armstrong comes out with his wing in the next month and a half so I have another decision to make!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2020, 12:45:37 PM »
Sounds great AGK.  Chan will live on those sizes :).  We will all be stoked to see any images you put up.  Thanks!

Going to give Dropbox links to the images rather than figure out how to upload.  The 5 has a strut length (measured from where it meets the leading edge to the tip of 80 inches, and the distance from the back of the front handle to the front of the back handle is 22.5 inches.  Images at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8fa6u0yy8umyxnk/AABy6R0nlvCWsmVb3s_CmdT8a?dl=0

The 6 has a strut length of 85 inches and a handle-to-handle distance of 25.5 inches.  Images at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/debmxtuvopntvrd/AABScpXHnWnTgmy1_J4Bk3fva?dl=0

So far I have found the handles on both wings to be comfortable and well-placed to control the wing.

Any chance you could take a span measurement on the 5 and 6M next time you take them out? 

I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2020, 04:30:09 PM »

Admin, if the transfer hose is closed with the clamp   
you can ride the leading edge and the strut with different pressure, even if you ride the same pressure with a closed hose, the LE and the Strut don`t loose pressure if under dynamic load what leads to a stiffer frame.

There is no clamp on the hose for Swings.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Lazz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2020, 05:43:58 AM »
Bill, I don't think that limits your creativity  ;)

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2020, 06:03:24 AM »
I’d love one but a white wing would look like a dirty diaper in a couple of weeks of use. We don’t all kite/ wing on sandy beaches. Most in Europe will have to deal with mud and tar at the shoreline. I wrote to Greg about 4 yrs ago asking for a Cloud wing in black cloth, but never got an answer.
If he made one with darker cloth I’d get done. Mike

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2020, 07:18:01 AM »
I’ve had three straight days no the W1 5 meter in conditions ranging from 10-17 to 19-29.  The following are additions to my earlier review.

Upwind is actually way, way better than the Swings now that I have adjusted to flying the W1 well forward – I’ve been able to wing a mile upwind really easily in order to downwind.

That leading edge is huge. It could explain why the wind develops so much power for it's size, but it seems like it wouldn't depower as well as a wing with a smaller leading edge.

Handled the gusty 19-29 (when I should have been on the 4 meter) beautifully – wing depowers without backwinding or acting flaky.  Leading edge size notwithstanding, this wing has truly great depower.

It is really easy to flip the wing over when it is handles-up, even in strong wind.

I like the low aspect design, but the five-meter did look kind of awkward. I think you'd need some long arms to get comfortable.

Can’t comment on what it looks like, but the handle placement and overall geometry of the 5 meter are pretty much perfect for me.  I’m 5’11” and 175 lbs with a similarly average wingspan.  I am totally in love with these wings!

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2020, 06:36:35 PM »
I got my hands on a 6M and 2M and finally had a chance to take out the 6M this morning before work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhHhxgvp_Xs

It took some getting used to, mainly the pumping is completely different than my 5M F-One.  Add the fact that I forgot my foot strap for the first time in forever, and it was my first time winging the 1850, it was a good challenge to sort out.

I found that with the wider grip, I really had to bend my knees before I started the pumping, which really allowed me to push off then de-weight quickly when a gust hit.  Paired with a few big arm pumps, the wing would pull me right onto foil. 

The handles, Oh. My. God!  What a revelation.  Love them.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2020, 11:32:13 AM »
Session Notes:

1st Session was straight onshore 20-25+MPH in the Chesapeake Bay, so this was the choppiest conditions I've attempted winging.  The waves were maybe 3' at 5 seconds, so very little time between waves to get going.  Decided to take out the 3M BRM with 74lt FSM Board and 1050 Armstrong wing.  After many failed attempts to launch in chest deep water where the waves were breaking every few seconds, I paddled out a ways with my wing between my feet.  Even still, the waves were breaking despite deeper water.  After probably 8 attempts to get up and loosing balance, I was finally up and running.  The wing performed awesome, but I was focused on the 3' mini ramps that were flying by.  First time riding this spot and rock jetties and groins had me nervous, coupled with the odd longshore current had me retreat to shore pretty defeated.  Deflated the wing and walk of shamed it back to my car.

Drove 300 yards inland to the cove where the water was super protected and flat, but the wind was broken up and gusty, maybe hitting 20mph, with 10mph in-between.  Pumped up the 3M again and ran the 1850 wing.  Ran into a wingsurfing friend and we had a few fun races back and forth. 

I started working on my tacks for the first time with the Cloud wings and man, I nailed more than half of my attempts on foil.  They just behave so much better than the swing when going into the wind and through the eye.   The 1850 wing probably helped as well :)

Overall very stoked with the wings so far and can't wait to get out on the different sizes. 

Hit me up with any questions about the wings!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2020, 11:42:00 AM »
The 1850 does help. Jacky said my tacks yesterday were like lightening speed. I was on the 1850.

What length mast you winging with? I’m loving the 85cm. I can’t go longer where I ride.

My buddy got a whole quiver of BRM. He wants me to try them tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal