Author Topic: BRM Wings  (Read 21372 times)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
BRM Wings
« on: May 25, 2020, 02:46:42 PM »

He is a thoughtful, innovative designer and great foiler.  Interesting to see how his wings do.

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BRM Wings
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 03:58:12 PM »
I used BRM kites for four years before I gave up kiting for winging this year.  Greg is a thoughtful, meticulous designer and I have nothing but positive things to say about his products and the way he runs his business.  I've ordered the 3, 4, 5, and 6 sizes and will be happy to provide reviews when they get here (which right now is planned for early/mid-July).

Andy

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 05:48:18 PM »
Seems like he attacked all the issues I faced first holding a wing. Love the the minimalistic / simplistic approach.
These 2 well made well positioned handles make a lot of sense to me coming from the fairly simplistic FOne.

I'm planning on getting a larger wing for really light days and this presentation put the BRM wing on my shortlist.
Thanks for sharing, waiting for review.

BTW, their website really need some help.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 05:50:16 PM by burchas »
in progress...

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 07:38:25 PM »
Wow. This guy is legit.  That made me want to order all the sizes without even seeing any in action.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 08:44:43 PM »
I see lots of kite foilers at crissy with small green and white kites, guessing this is the same brand?

https://vimeo.com/422246147/
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 09:06:22 PM »
We have a prototype of this wing being used at my local spot and it does look like a really nice wing. There are a lot of cloud kite foilers at my location and some of them are becoming cloud wingers too. This is definitely a brand I will be looking at closely for my next wing purchase.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 12:26:50 AM »
There were a couple of people flying these in Maui before i left for the summer. Nice looking kites. I like the handle idea, I think I see a way to do something similar with my F-1 wings.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 12:39:47 AM »
I used BRM kites for four years before I gave up kiting for winging this year.  Greg is a thoughtful, meticulous designer and I have nothing but positive things to say about his products and the way he runs his business.  I've ordered the 3, 4, 5, and 6 sizes and will be happy to provide reviews when they get here (which right now is planned for early/mid-July).

Andy

You can try my Echo’s, and I’ll try your BRM’s. We can compare notes :)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 01:55:35 AM »
Yes, the BRM kites have the same look as the wings.

I used BRM kites (Clouds) for several years.  Greg is great to deal with.  They are very well designed and constructed though I think his types of kites have been eclipsed by the popularity of single skin kites among kite foilers.   He also designed the BRM bar for kiting which is brilliant in its originality, simplicity and functionality.  It is still being copied by DIY's looking to improve on the basic kite bar.

Back on topic, Greg acknowledges he had the advantage of trying several other brands while designing his wing so it looks to me he was able to incorporate many of their best features and I think his wing will work very well.  Knowing Greg's history with his kite development, I will bet his V2 wing will have some market leading innovation.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 01:59:53 AM »
Glad to see him taking the lead on two wide, stiff handles.  The wings look good but that looks great.  I'd rather see them leave this modular and user position-able but this is a fine start.  Did he mention what he is doing internally to add rigidity to the handles? 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:02:53 AM by Admin »

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 04:22:13 AM »
Agree, I like how he handled the handles.  No specifics on handles' internal structure.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 06:00:28 AM »
Agree, I like how he handled the handles.  No specifics on handles' internal structure.

I would like to hear about that from anyone who has access to these.  The wings themselves do not look like a huge departure from existing wings but possibly there are some nice refinements there.  The handles would be a welcome addition.  I am wondering what they are using to hold shape inside the handles and it also looks like they are nicely braced against the strut which appears to be keeping them from wobbling laterally.    More info on that would be great.  I love the Swings but those are areas where the could be improved.  For riders with larger hands they offer no room for a handle pass on the front strut handle during transitions.  My first reaction to these is that I wish they had used that same back handle (which looks awesome to me) for the front but I am open to checking it out as is.

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 06:27:01 AM »
Glad to see him taking the lead on two wide, stiff handles.  The wings look good but that looks great.  I'd rather see them leave this modular and user position-able but this is a fine start.  Did he mention what he is doing internally to add rigidity to the handles?

In the (very long but very interesting) video linked in the first post above, Greg details how he put attachment points for Y-handles and a few other attachment points if people want to customize.  He's not supplying those handles, but it does look like there is some of the flexibility in positioning that you're looking for.

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 06:32:45 AM »

Andy

You can try my Echo’s, and I’ll try your BRM’s. We can compare notes :)

I'm looking forward to the back-to-back Penguin Island trials -- especially of the Echo and W1 6-meters.  I bet they are both going to be big upgrades from our current light-wind wings.  Now all we have to do is wait ... and wait ... and wait for them to get here!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 06:34:46 AM »
Letting go with one hand to untangling a leash, or switching from overhand to underhand grip pre jibe, is easier with some wings simply due to how they balance out aerodynamically.

I think Greg was talking about how his wing balances out better.

The wing I ride now is easier to do hand fiddling, switching, finger twirling etc and wing just flys itself without any drama. That may be enough to make his handles easy regardless of shape.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal