Author Topic: It’s a wing kite, or maybe a kite wing😮  (Read 1860 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
It’s a wing kite, or maybe a kite wing😮
« on: May 25, 2020, 05:12:07 AM »
Never would have expected to see this. Let the dissing begin ;D

https://www.facebook.com/360117614771955/posts/690734235043623/

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: It’s a wing kite, or maybe a kite wing😮
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 06:48:49 AM »
I'm not surprised, the future for wing design is just starting. I hope a foil style wing comes. It'll be great to have a floating or inflatable leading edge and then the wind fills the body up. This will allow for profile change on the fly. Also from kite foiling, lots of riders started to go super short lines so it made sense to get rid of the lines and just hold the kite/wing. Exciting times, wings, boards and foils all changing so rapidly.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 07:21:46 AM »
Interesting, and of course there's a substantial number of "it's not what I do so it's wrong" comments. How can people be so stupid? Oh, wait. That's kind of a minor example these days.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 07:47:01 AM »
Born to Hindenburg

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 08:05:06 AM »
I can imagine this would be great when the wind is a bit marginal for hand wings. As every kiter knows, a little longer on the lines means more power, especially for pumping the kite. It's not likely to be an ideal kite, but for a compact one wing/kite, board, and foil quiver it could be very cool.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:06:53 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 09:47:12 AM »
I'm not surprised, the future for wing design is just starting. I hope a foil style wing comes. It'll be great to have a floating or inflatable leading edge and then the wind fills the body up. This will allow for profile change on the fly. Also from kite foiling, lots of riders started to go super short lines so it made sense to get rid of the lines and just hold the kite/wing. Exciting times, wings, boards and foils all changing so rapidly.

It’s cool to see the experimentation. Heck, without it we wouldn’t have wing foiling. Those are super short lines and pretty much like they just adapted a bridle to an otherwise unmodified hand wing. How bout a some 15 ft lines  ::)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 10:07:38 AM »
I know - 'Get with the program.' - but I cannot see from outside the FB fence. I there another image source?   Thanks.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 10:34:35 AM »

It’s cool to see the experimentation. Heck, without it we wouldn’t have wing foiling. Those are super short lines and pretty much like they just adapted a bridle to an otherwise unmodified hand wing. How bout a some 15 ft lines  ::)

Hmmm, how about a reel in the bar that lets you haul the wing in while it's flying, and a bar that converts to a boom.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 11:04:17 AM »
I appreciate trying new or different or renewing old ideas.

As in both foiling and wings have been around for years, and then some nuts tried some modifications and viola...

Both kite foiling and wind foiling lack the appeal for me, and wing foiling is the perfect wind sport for me. 

Maybe this link will embed the video:
https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1601022496720970

https://youtu.be/yMCsCUemQAc
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 03:05:19 PM »
Born to Hindenburg

Seems likely, little margin for error in the angle of attack will mean a lot of babysitting via the bar.
Interesting way to extend the wind range though.

Their dedicated kite looks like it works superbly.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal