Author Topic: Fun session from the boat yesterday  (Read 4810 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Fun session from the boat yesterday
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 06:00:43 AM »
Nice video, Runner...   ' Reminds me of the old days; I enjoyed light air and shallows. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 07:28:05 AM »
A friend of mine took me out to a sick spot by boat on Sunday and we raced a bit.  He was on a 15M foil kite (I think) with a twintip.  The kite was huuuge.  I was on my 5M Swing and 1050 Armstrong wing.  Spot was a skinny isthmus/sandbar blocking the onshore 12-18mph wind, so sheet glass water around chest deep. 

I was hitting just over 17mph and kept wiping out on the few times we lined up.  Few too many brewskis to maintain concentration haha. 

Just crazy how I could be up on my smallest foil with a 5M wing, while he had this giant kite.  Maybe I'll try kiting at some point, but right now it just doesn't seem like its worth the effort. 

So fun to pull up to a sandbar and be out on the water in a few minutes whipping around.  Had a lot of practice with tacks in the flat water.  Nailed my first and only attempt at a duck gybe, although it wasn't pretty. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 07:49:38 AM »
What are your top speeds with each front wing? Assume it’s all Dawn Patrol measured. I hit 16.9 mph yesterday with the Moses W1100 (2100 sq cm monster). That matches my best ever top speed, for any foil while winging.

BTW, I wrote Dawn Patrol to ask what speed it was recording. Average of wave, or top speed. They said top speed. We can view where along the run you hit top speed with the subscription version. They also told me to turn off anomaly detection to get rid of the nagging to end my session, on super long reaches. They are working on a Winging option.

Jacky seems to record a lot of very high speeds. Way higher than me. I think those are crashes.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 10:20:39 AM »
I use the Waterspeed App and I really dig it.  It gives you Top Speed, Best 2, 5, 10, & 20 seconds, as well as best 500M and 1 KM.  Worth the low cost subscription.  I only use Dawn Patrol for prone foiling, as I don't want to mix prone and winging statistics together.

For me my speeds tend to be around here currently when the winds are under around 20mph or less with my 5M:

2400 foil: 14-15 mph
15505 foil: 16 mph
1050 foil: 17-18 mph

The 1050 gives me the best speed by far for the longer durations, like average etc.  I have to really work the two bigger foils to pick a good line and dip out to try and get going faster and hit a top speed.  They are happy cruising along around 2 mph under above top speeds and can go quite slow without stalling.   I like that I can switch between all three with the same mast position and foot strap position and have a blast on each.     

It's blowing 30mph right now, so I'm tempted to get the 1050 and 3.5M out to see what I can do.  But work is busy. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 11:44:26 AM »
Thanks for confessing your speeds. We are both stuck in the mud. I heard Alan Cadiz hit 28.2 mph yesterday. I feel so inadequate  ;D

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »
Yeah, I definitely have not found the speed cheat code, but I'm getting better each session.  17-18 mph feels plenty quick.  I wonder what the Maui breeze was doing when Alan hit 28mph  ;D

Funny enough, my fastest recorded speed on a foil 18.5 mph, was prone foiling my 1200 foil during a small hurricane swell (2.6' @ 13 second period).  I take that back, Waterspeed says I hit 21.7 on my third wing session ever during a mini 'learning' downwinder.  It was right before a huge stack i'm sure haha.

Once I get the wing out in the ocean, I'm sure I will be going faster.  Towing into a wave, with the wind helping, can really get you going I'd imagine.  It feels that way on little river ripples at least. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2020, 12:39:39 PM »
I think 19 is my fastest ever, but it was windsurf foiling or SUP foiling. Can’t recall.

Alan was using the Duotone Daytona kite foil front wing.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2020, 04:18:04 PM »

Awesome! Funny, when you first sped up the footage for an instant I was like "#$% that's quite a gust!"  :o ;D  I'm really wanting to try wingfoiling.

I have been kiting from a small boat lately, but do it in very shallow water so it's hardly any different from a beach launch other than inflating the kite on the boat.  It opens up so many new spots that are only available by boat.

Nice Kite Runner :) :)  Don’t think I’d ever get my boat into water that shallow, but with foil gear that won’t be an issue.... Yep, kite/wing/foil/twin tip/boat/ski. Tried a little bit of everything

VB, Dwight, what are you guys using for a GPS device?  Only thing I’ve used so far is my IPhone 8 in a waterproof pouch with the Sports Tracker app. Haven’t used it wingfoiling yet, just kitefoiling so far. (Still trying to figure out how to pull GPS data from a GoPro). Ordered a Garmin Instinct which should be a lot easier to deal with than the phone. Top speed from a kitefoiling session without any real attempt at a speed run was 23 mph (Moses 633/483 combo).

Now I’m really motivated to see how fast I can go with a wing, or a kite for that matter. Added to the 2020 to do list!

Wind Runner

• Waikiki Status
  • Wings and Things
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2020, 05:09:18 PM »

Awesome! Funny, when you first sped up the footage for an instant I was like "#$% that's quite a gust!"  :o ;D  I'm really wanting to try wingfoiling.

I have been kiting from a small boat lately, but do it in very shallow water so it's hardly any different from a beach launch other than inflating the kite on the boat.  It opens up so many new spots that are only available by boat.

Nice Kite Runner :) :)  Don’t think I’d ever get my boat into water that shallow, but with foil gear that won’t be an issue.... Yep, kite/wing/foil/twin tip/boat/ski. Tried a little bit of everything

VB, Dwight, what are you guys using for a GPS device?  Only thing I’ve used so far is my IPhone 8 in a waterproof pouch with the Sports Tracker app. Haven’t used it wingfoiling yet, just kitefoiling so far. (Still trying to figure out how to pull GPS data from a GoPro). Ordered a Garmin Instinct which should be a lot easier to deal with than the phone. Top speed from a kitefoiling session without any real attempt at a speed run was 23 mph (Moses 633/483 combo).

Now I’m really motivated to see how fast I can go with a wing, or a kite for that matter. Added to the 2020 to do list!

Thanks!  For GPS, because I run I've been using my Garmin Forerunner 235 GPS watch.  It has different activity settings and I use "other" for recording my kiting.  The data goes to my Garmin Connect account which I sync to Strava... Here's how they look...
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5041301713
https://www.strava.com/activities/3565583757

« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:13:33 PM by Kite Runner »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2020, 05:35:05 PM »
Don’t use a kite for measuring speed. That is cheating. I never measured my speed kiting.

Let’s see what is possible winging only.

I use the Dawn Patrol or Water Speed app. Prefer Dawn Patrol. Both on the Apple Watch. But you can use on the phone. Dawn Patrol syncs with the Surfline rewind cam, so it saves video of my rides when I’m surfing in front of the cam.

The watch is cheaper to replace that the phone. Never take my phone in the water. Haha.

I’ve used the watch to call for help when I forgot my bus ride money after a down winder.

Jacky used her watch to call me for help when she dislocated her shoulder. She used her nose on the touch screen!

A watch that makes calls and texts can be a life saver.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:42:56 PM by Dwight (DW) »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2020, 12:35:01 AM »
Don’t use a kite for measuring speed. That is cheating. I never measured my speed kiting.

Let’s see what is possible winging only.

Hence the reason I’ll never give up kite foiling as fun as winging has been :D (and that was with a wimpy slow 633 front wing)

The watch is cheaper to replace that the phone. Never take my phone in the water. Haha.

I’ve used the watch to call for help when I forgot my bus ride money after a down winder.

Jacky used her watch to call me for help when she dislocated her shoulder. She used her nose on the touch screen!

A watch that makes calls and texts can be a life saver.

Hmmmm, a cell ready series 5 Apple Watch is $650 plus monthly cell rates and my beat up IPhone 8Plus would cost about  $300 to replace with another referb 8Plus...... ::)

But hey, I definitely appreciate the value of a cell connected watch for safety. Not as easy to actually use that IPhone on the water but it with our floaty wing boards it’s certainly doable. I assume you got beefy sport bands for those watches (?)

Just got my new wing-a-ding speed cheaters......like Admin and his Sky wing boards, I feel so giddy inside..:D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 12:38:33 AM by obxDave »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2020, 04:24:46 AM »
I am using a UAG watch band with silicone retainer added. The Apple Watch 4 is actually better than the 5. More battery life. They go on sale all the time.

If I used my phone, I’d likely not have it with me all the time. You get the ECG, fall indicators for old people, Siri 911. If they add a few more old people health features it will almost be mandatory  ;D

The only rip off is the cell phone company charging $10/mo for no reason. The Samsung watch requires a different cell phone number, so “they” had a reason to charge extra per month. They handle the seamless exchange of calls between the two numbers making it act like one phone number. But the Apple Watch did not require a second cell number. Apple makes it work with one. We got screwed by association.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2020, 06:28:11 AM »
I've used the Locosys GT 31 for speed sailing in the past. Definately plan to do some speed winging but haven't bothered to check my speeds on my 2200cm2 foil wing. Slow slow slow. Hydrofoils are not the fastest except for those amazing America's Cup boats. I routinely clock over 40 mph on my Mike's Lab kiterace foil but my personal best is 44.6 knots over 100 meters with a custom kite speed board. Wingfoiling isn't very fast but I saw a video of Robby Naish doing a speed run at Maalea that looked pretty quick.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2020, 10:37:39 AM »
I am using a UAG watch band with silicone retainer added. The Apple Watch 4 is actually better than the 5. More battery life. They go on sale all the time.

If I used my phone, I’d likely not have it with me all the time. You get the ECG, fall indicators for old people, Siri 911. If they add a few more old people health features it will almost be mandatory  ;D

The only rip off is the cell phone company charging $10/mo for no reason. The Samsung watch requires a different cell phone number, so “they” had a reason to charge extra per month. They handle the seamless exchange of calls between the two numbers making it act like one phone number. But the Apple Watch did not require a second cell number. Apple makes it work with one. We got screwed by association.

Yeah, the Apple watches really do sound pretty cool. I got this Garmin Instinct for a crazy price so it should be a decent first try (unless I got scammed and it doesn’t show up,.....I’m occasionally gullible that way :P ). The times I really want call capability is for downwinders or offshore winds (which I seriously avoid).  Rest of the  time not so much, just fun to have easy gps tracking.

I see that Locosys has a nice GPS watch (GW-60). Lots of choices. I can see a forum winging speed challenge in our future :)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again