Author Topic: Lift Foils goes high aspect  (Read 9660 times)

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Lift Foils goes high aspect
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 11:05:33 PM »
I watched John John on the 200 pump around and catch waves for 20 min straight. 20 min on foil just pumping out and riding waves in. Doing circles around the rest of us as we sat and waited for a wave big enough to break. Slippery is exactly how I described it the first time I tried my buddy's 200 HA.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 12:00:42 AM »
Can you compare it to the Axis 900 bigmtn? I saw one in the water the other day. Not sure the Axis rider who had tried it had favorable things to say. I think his point was, it's more unstable side to side when you first get up. The lift HA wing looks good. If the Axis 760 plays out how I imagine it to, I'm glad I switched to Axis though.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 02:59:54 AM »
So it’s sorta getting a bit exhausting for me chasing these foil wings around draining the wallet. I’m as guilty as anyone thinking I need to try (meaning buy and resell if I don’t like it) these different foils.

So far I’ve learned everything on one 8 month old well worn cheapy foil (Gong XL pro). Whether it’s underpowered on 6m Echo or fully powered on my 3.3m, it just seems to have that balance of high end, low end, carve and glide.  It’s just friggin easy to use and progress with. I own a Moses 1100 and 790. They’re nice and techy  light. The 1100 beats the XL pro in pumping and low end by just a teeny amount but I still go back to my XL pro for way better carving and the ability to improve my skills faster. Now I have some high strung Veloce’s on the way. Who knows if they will add something or not. Maybe the Lifts are magical solution, who knows.

I’m at that point where unless someone shows how they are suddenly achieving a much higher skill level, I’m asking why? Briefly tried an Axis 1150 the other day.  Sort of like my Moses 1100  only even more pump/glide oriented and even more “flat turn style”.  It’s sort of like a pumpers dream that reluctantly yields kicking and screaming when asked to get all carvy with a wing ding. The top level pro’s can ride almost anything and look 10 times better than any of us (no offense to anyone here).  Just a case of gear fatigue this morning.......(and why I like talking about building skill level on this forum way more than talking about gear!)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 03:04:52 AM by obxDave »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 04:08:08 AM »
I’m right there with you Dave. I’ve tested and rejected a lot of foils that don’t offer what I want in a foil.

The only foils coming, probably next year, that have me wanting a test ride.......the Neil Pryde designed by Kane.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2020, 04:22:01 AM »
Can you compare it to the Axis 900....

Lift is more loose, rolls faster, but in a good way. Predictable, fun, easy.

The Lift out pumps the 900, glides farther with less skill, doesn’t drop you.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 04:43:42 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2020, 07:49:05 AM »
So it’s sorta getting a bit exhausting for me chasing these foil wings around draining the wallet. I’m as guilty as anyone thinking I need to try (meaning buy and resell if I don’t like it) these different foils.

So far I’ve learned everything on one 8 month old well worn cheapy foil (Gong XL pro). Whether it’s underpowered on 6m Echo or fully powered on my 3.3m, it just seems to have that balance of high end, low end, carve and glide.  It’s just friggin easy to use and progress with. I own a Moses 1100 and 790. They’re nice and techy  light. The 1100 beats the XL pro in pumping and low end by just a teeny amount but I still go back to my XL pro for way better carving and the ability to improve my skills faster. Now I have some high strung Veloce’s on the way. Who knows if they will add something or not. Maybe the Lifts are magical solution, who knows.

I’m at that point where unless someone shows how they are suddenly achieving a much higher skill level, I’m asking why? Briefly tried an Axis 1150 the other day.  Sort of like my Moses 1100  only even more pump/glide oriented and even more “flat turn style”.  It’s sort of like a pumpers dream that reluctantly yields kicking and screaming when asked to get all carvy with a wing ding. The top level pro’s can ride almost anything and look 10 times better than any of us (no offense to anyone here).  Just a case of gear fatigue this morning.......(and why I like talking about building skill level on this forum way more than talking about gear!)

Check the packaging on your 1100.  It is supposed to come with a "Go Directly to Balz" card.  Inverted 720's are all but guaranteed.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2020, 09:42:52 AM »

Shoutout to OBX for posting this. After reading everyone on the Zone raving about Axis I was convinced I needed to “upgrade” from my Gong XXL Pro foil setup. In reality it’s a fantastic foil...early take off, great glide, carves like a dream. There’s really no logical reason to upgrade and I worry that switching to Axis, Armstrong, or Moses might actually be a downgrade in some respects as the Gong has no noticeable weak areas for me personally. So thanks to OBX for saving me the expense of buying a completely new Axis foil setup (was going to get the 1150).

The XXL Pro is a really good design by Gong in my opinion. It’s sort of a mid-aspect wing that’s medium thickness, but it carves really nice and is plenty fast, yet forgiving. Now I’m trying to get my hands on the XL size!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:44:49 AM by Rastaman3030 »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2020, 03:57:13 PM »
Box, Rasta, add these notes to the Allvator thread if you would. Collecting this stuff in one place now that there are 12 wings to choose from.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 03:36:38 AM »
Now for the puzzling part. My wife and I both think it’s easier to knee start them and more stable riding on the surface, waiting for the next gust. But why, is the puzzler.

Could it be fuselage length or the surface area of the stabilizer?  The small change from the Axis Short fuselage to the Ultra Short really destabilizes my kit for knee starts (OK on the 1000 front but very tricky with the smaller front wings).   

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2020, 04:37:54 AM »
Good point Admin. I’ll have to compared them.

I can’t go by data sheets. For example....my 710 Moses fuselage is actually 50 shorter than my 680 Axis fuse.

Then my 40 sq in Lift tail converts to 258 sq cm, but Axis tails are span and chord.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 05:31:14 AM »
Just checked them.

My 250/50 setup is about the same length as the short Axis.

My 200/40 is about like the ultra short Axis.

My tails are too different to compare.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2020, 06:20:26 AM »
I was super impressed by the Lift gear I saw first hand.  It was hard to compare to my gear because they have taken such a different approach.  The Lift tails that this guy had a very long chord but seemed very thin and looked to have little or no down angle.  I wonder if that surface may have a benefit in stability.  If it does, that is a really nice feature.

Wingdinger

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2020, 09:20:17 AM »
Dwight what rear stabilizer do you use on the 170? The 25ha? Is the 170 faster than the 200? How does it glide?

I am coming off the Moses 790 and want to get something after and with better glide, have been thinking about the 170 with 25 for that.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2020, 09:38:13 AM »
I’m using the 34 tail with the 170. It’s pretty loose. The 25 might be beyond my comfort level.

I don’t have enough time on the 170 to say much about it, other than I can ride it no issue, with a 5m.

I’d “guess” the 200 with 40 tail, would be a better step down from the Moses 790. The 200 is fun and rangy.

Wingdinger

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2020, 09:41:42 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts, did you have any pitch control issues on the 170 or 200?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal