Author Topic: Funny thing with paddle length...  (Read 807 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Funny thing with paddle length...
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 08:10:38 PM »
...I spent two weeks that I'm not going to get back collecting data...

I was about to say "oh poor baby" and then I realized I spent 2 years on that and never even collected the data ??? But judging by my dozens of paddle parts I feel somewhat confident saying I got to the same conclusion, different is better, or it could mean that I'm just hard on equipment. Otherwise, why am I looking at dozens of paddle parts :D
in progress...

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 08:16:33 PM »
I'm 5'8" (68") and 140 lbs. I've had my left and right shoulders surgically repaired. I also have a cranky lower back that "talks to me sometimes".

When I flat water paddle, I raise my paddle handle "mouth high". This saves wear and tear on my shoulders. My paddle blade is 75 square inches. For the reasons given above, my total paddle length is 72".

This works well for my 11'1" One World sup and my two 10'5" Duke sups.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters

supmmmm

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 08:27:19 PM »
For surf paddles, the smaller the board the shorter I like the paddle. In relation to my height I have; one paddle that come up to my chin, another that’s tip of nose length (gets used most often for surf) and one head height.
For my race boards the longest that I have is about 10” overhead.
And I use surf wax on all my paddles to keep the grip tension down.

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 04:36:50 AM »
What I basically determined is that different is better. Take an inch off, add an inch, either might feel better. Six months later do the opposite and it will feel better.
Yep. I come to SUP from a 6 day/week nordic skiing habit. I have several sets of skate poles, all in 1 cms increments. Sore? Switch it up. Doesn't seem to matter if it's longer or shorter, the full-body adjustment to the different length helps alleviate soreness and injury from the high repetition. I have noticed a similar thing with paddles. I have a couple of different lengths and will switch anytime I feel that I am starting to get sore or creaky (OK, more creaky).