Author Topic: Feet Placement on Board (fore and aft)?  (Read 6160 times)

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Feet Placement on Board (fore and aft)?
« on: July 19, 2020, 08:37:27 AM »
Curious from the forum what the consensus is about feet placement on the board (and I'm not talking about width, i.e., shoulder width stance, etc). The center handle is generally considered the balancing point so I've read online this is where to align your feet...but is that 100% the best location? My SIC Air Glide has a nose that tips up - I've noticed on mirror-flat mornings, if I place my feet slightly towards the stern (nose) from the center handle that I get a bit more glide. On the other hand, when I place my feet slightly behind the center handle I feel more stable; however, my blade is going in where the board widens.

So, is center handle always the best feet location or are other slight deviations better?
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Feet Placement on Board (fore and aft)?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 09:05:59 AM »
Varies board to board and rider to rider.

I stand a foot in front of the handle on one of my flat water boards.

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 09:49:21 PM »
Curious from the forum what the consensus is about feet placement on the board (and I'm not talking about width, i.e., shoulder width stance, etc). The center handle is generally considered the balancing point so I've read online this is where to align your feet...but is that 100% the best location? My SIC Air Glide has a nose that tips up - I've noticed on mirror-flat mornings, if I place my feet slightly towards the stern (nose) from the center handle that I get a bit more glide. On the other hand, when I place my feet slightly behind the center handle I feel more stable; however, my blade is going in where the board widens.

So, is center handle always the best feet location or are other slight deviations better?

Stern is opposite of nose (bow) iirc . ;)

as surfcowboy said varies from board to board..   btw, My SIC Air Glide is not bending if this is what you mean by "has a nose that tips up"unless there are waves and I'm trying to balance these bumps out - perhaps you under-inflate it?

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 09:56:02 PM »
I too have found that in smooth conditions standing just a bit forward will plane better.

The reverse is also true that in choppy water slightly aft will add stability.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 01:37:31 PM »
Absolutely board dependent. In flat water if the nose just skims the water you may be getting the best glide and whatever makes that happen is what you want to do. But there are a few boards that don't work like that. Boards with substantial nose rocker won't balance like that until the tail is substantially out of the water.

The old 18' speedboard is downright sluggish until the tail starts to release and then it's a rocket. Go an inch or two too far forward and it slows, an inch back and it's like someone dropped an anchor.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal