Author Topic: Front foot strap angle for foil board  (Read 4034 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Front foot strap angle for foil board
« on: May 19, 2020, 11:53:16 AM »
I'd like to know what angles people are using for front foot strap.  Please give me angle measurement away from side to side width line.  So straight across width being zero to straight up and down the tail to nose line being 90 degrees.  I've been thinking about 35 degrees off that width line.  When I windsurfed, my strap was less 'sideways' than others and I liked it.  Especially the going out through the surf footstrap which was almost straight across (like 20 degrees off the width line).  But I'm only going to have one strap on my surf side for new foil board.  None in the back.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Front foot strap angle for foil board
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 01:34:47 PM »
Personally I’m not a fan of straps at my skill level.. I use mine mostly for feeling or seeing that my feet are consistently in the correct spot on the board.. and for jumping or getting air.

I’m thinking less angle on the front straps is more suited to wave riding.

More angle (wider at the front) is more suited to winging (like windsurfing)

I’ve heard the new Naish Hover foil boards will have a wider front angle.

Also.. I’d strongly recommend not using only one.. Two or nothing.

You would never snowboard with only one foot bucked up.. Because in a fall/crash you are asking for a knee or ankle injury if that foot gets stuck (it can happen).

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 08:18:22 PM »
If your foil foot strap can at all compare to a snowboard binding give that board back to Laird. 🤣

After the life Headmount’s lived and the waves and gear he’s ridden, if a foot strap takes him down it was his time. Now me? Unsafe at any speed.

I’m curious about this as it seems like there’s every angle under the sun from pictures. I like Clay’s crazy track mount things that he’s trying to keep secret from us all. ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 09:05:09 AM »
I'd say the same as Cowboy except Robbie Nash said the same thing to me this winter at the harbor--both straps or nothing. For the same reason as DJ. And I've heard it before. It is pretty easy to get your foot caught if you pitch forward with no rear strap.

I'm currently using no straps, though that mostly just to keep things simpler while I'm trying to learn to switchfoot jibe. There isn't a firm consensus on straps anyway. Some of the better riders say straps just put your feet into the wrong position for conditions. Other say it's the only way to put full authority into your turns. I don't know, I'd like to be in straps going upwind in a harness, but for everything else I think I'm better off strapless.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 10:48:29 AM »
To strap or not to strap wasn't the question.  The question was about angles.  But good info anyway.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 11:14:07 AM »
To strap or not to strap wasn't the question.  The question was about angles.  But good info anyway.

Hi Bill,

Stoked to see you winging and foiling away.  That image of you soaring with Alan was great.

We are riding at 10 degrees.  That is what I had on my old board an it feels perfect to me.  Our boards come with two insert options (10 and 20 degrees).  20 feels like too much for me.  I like the low angle a lot.  We use the outermost strap inserts so that the strap is as long as it can be.  That allows you to move your foot for and aft a bit but it also allows you to change your foot angle and still have plenty of support from the strap.  I superimposed a protractor on this image with the 90/180 line on the lower screw.  I am seeing the upper screw at about 80 and the outer (unused) insert at about 70.  Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:17:39 AM by Admin »

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 09:18:00 PM »
I have my front strap about 55.  Never used a back strap and never had an issue riding this way.  I like the freedom to move my back foot forward when pumping.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 02:18:15 PM »
I’m curious about this as it seems like there’s every angle under the sun from pictures. I like Clay’s crazy track mount things that he’s trying to keep secret from us all. ;)

That's Jeff Clark's mad genius design, really quick and easy adjustment in the water, I love it.  Every time I try another board with the usual strap screw boxes I am bummed out by the lack of adjustment or the degree of difficulty in changing foot positions.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 07:04:57 PM »
I get it man. It looks like a great idea. I’m just laughing at how many fin boxes we will end up in these boards before we’re done.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 02:14:03 PM »
wait, where can I see this???  fin boxes for footstraps - why didn't I think of that?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 10:41:09 PM »
I have my front strap about 55.  Never used a back strap and never had an issue riding this way.  I like the freedom to move my back foot forward when pumping.

55 is what I settled on for front foot.  And same with no back.  Admin's style is way too difficult for me to get my foot into the strap at 10 to 20 degrees.  Anyway happy to see I'm not the only one.  Thanks.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 01:11:18 AM »
I'm guessing a shallow angle (like admin's) is necessary for riding toe-side.. and wave riding.. I may be wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal